Oil consumption test - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 03:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My experience has been that MB dealer shops, especially the big ones, like to error on the side of the customer. I had some really big-ticket items swapped out for new stuff just before my warranty expired. Hell I had a nearly new car in some respects, and I do not believe for a minute that some of that stuff was not still good or at least could have been tweaked instead of replaced. I also think there is a "laziness" factor that sometimes enters into the the equation: It is just easier, and probably cheaper for them, to just replace it rather than go to all the muss and fuss to figure out exactly what is broken and what is not. FWIW IMO

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
WOW - no wonder you are always quite complimentary about your dealer! Congratulations on your partially re-built Benz.

If MB is paying for it, I guess that is good for the customer. However, when the bills become ours to pay, I wish they would try a little harder to troubleshoot and fix what is fixable unless of course that method would ultimately cost us more.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 04:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
WOW - no wonder you are always quite complimentary about your dealer! Congratulations on your partially re-built Benz.

If MB is paying for it, I guess that is good for the customer. However, when the bills become ours to pay, I wish they would try a little harder to troubleshoot and fix what is fixable unless of course that method would ultimately cost us more.
It's always cheaper to replace rather than fix if MB is willing to back the charge, which is my point about why MB may be starting to ask for proof that replacement is necessary.

Don't believe everything you think
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Cool Update

I was told by my dealer's most highly respected technician (by this I mean the one who gets the most requests, plus my salesman's favorite) that I was probably not driving the car hard enough. The service manager and I were both witnesses to the statement, and agreed that if a tech tells me to start "hot dogging" the car, it must be safe.

In another thread, I was made aware of a so-called "Italian tuneup" in which a fuel additive is used (I chose some Chevron Techron Concentrate large bottle in a full tank) and have putting the car into kickdown 3-4 times a day and otherwise driving less like my grandmother and more like a maniacal idiot. This has been an enlightening experience because I had no idea how hot these little 3.2 V-6 engines are.

So far, I have not had to add any more oil, and it has been about 750 miles since I last had to. By the way, I have only driven the beast hard for the last 350, the other 400 were some casual miles back and forth on an interstate rarely exceeding 80 MPH and 3000 RPM.

The FSS still says I have 4200 miles until a B service is due ( those include an oil change obviously). However, it increased by precisely 1000 miles for every quart I added, so I am going to have that done when it says 4000.

Lastly, I spoke with the service manager who was supposed to send a report to MBUSA about my SDS diagnostic data. He said they told him to keep watching my car.

Cheers to everyone who has been providing feedback!

Musikmann

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in