LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
MB diesel in an Opel?

Okay guys, first things first, I apologize if this is the wrong forum, I tried to put this in Off Topic and got an error about privileges. Anyway, since this involves more than one model I thought it should go here. I have a 1975 Opel Ascona that's setting around without a motor. Being a bit of a diesel enthusiast, I'd like to put on in it. Do any of you know what MB diesels (older ones that is, I cant afford a new 320 CDI or anything) would fit well in one? I'd prefer it to be a turbo diesel as well. This is a small car as well, so I'm unsure as to if Mercedes made a small enough one to work in it. I've heard the older ones were extremely heavy. Any thoughts comments or concerns? Suggestions? Which engine would you guys recommend? (Please, no flames for it being an Opel, I've gotten a lot of them from other places.)
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 07:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
I wouldn't consider any of MB diesels heavy.
My 230 HP Ford PowerStroke is 930 lb without intercooler.
Sure the 112 HP diesel from late 70/80's weight probably the same what the 220 HP 320cdi, but as you said you can't afford the latter.
What you would have to start with is how much power do you need and at what cost.
The main factor in choosing the engine is computer control.
The pre -1995 (?) diesels in US are fully mechanical, when later models are "drive by the wire".
Meaning any mechanic might fit older engine in the Opel, but you might need automotive programmer for newer engines.
Good luck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 11:35 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
For the size of car you have, the Isuzu small diesels would be a better fit. Which Opel Ascona do you have? The "A" is very similar to the Buick branded Opel Manta as it was sold here in the early 70's and the "B" models which were sold starting in 1975 have a driveline that is very similar to the Chevy Chevette and Pontiac T1000 and Isuzi I-Mark as sold in the USA. The I-Mark was sold in limited numbers in the USA with Isuzu built diesels with both manual and automatics and the engine should fit your Opel with very few modifications. Since diesels produce their useful power at much lower RPM than a gas engine you will need to look into getting different final drive gears more suited to the diesels power band. if you are swapping from gas to diesel.

The VW TDi diesels are generally easier to find but only the diesels for the late model Passat would be set up with engine mounts for conventional north/south location as opposed to the sideways setup used in the rest of the VW lineup and you would need the engine from a stick shift version to avoid getting the ECU that needs to communicate with the automatic gearbox.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5160u
For the size of car you have, the Isuzu small diesels would be a better fit. Which Opel Ascona do you have? The "A" is very similar to the Buick branded Opel Manta as it was sold here in the early 70's and the "B" models which were sold starting in 1975 have a driveline that is very similar to the Chevy Chevette and Pontiac T1000 and Isuzi I-Mark as sold in the USA. The I-Mark was sold in limited numbers in the USA with Isuzu built diesels with both manual and automatics and the engine should fit your Opel with very few modifications. Since diesels produce their useful power at much lower RPM than a gas engine you will need to look into getting different final drive gears more suited to the diesels power band. if you are swapping from gas to diesel.

The VW TDi diesels are generally easier to find but only the diesels for the late model Passat would be set up with engine mounts for conventional north/south location as opposed to the sideways setup used in the rest of the VW lineup and you would need the engine from a stick shift version to avoid getting the ECU that needs to communicate with the automatic gearbox.
So true, I'd like to take a TDI and convert it to mechanical injection to avoid the computer stuff, but that'll be out of my price range for some time. I am just exploring my options right now. For the record, it is an Opel Ascona A 1900 (1975 model). I do realize and know enough about diesels to know that the gearing will have to be modified. The only problem with changing transmissions and such to fit the engine is that Opels use a unique (ie, old outdated) rear end. I cant remember the exact name of it, but I want to say that it is called torsion beam, but dont think that's right. They have an internal driveshaft, and the transmission and rear end are connected. The rear tires push on the ground while the tranny and rear end direct that force to the motor mounts to push the car forward. At least that's how its been explained to me. Where can I find some more info about the iMark diesels? I've seen a few of the old renault TDs around, but no Isuzu ones anywhere. Info links please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in