Should I 'warm-up' my Car before a run? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 08:20 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 e350 4matic/2000e320 4matic wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The fastest way to warm up your car is to drive it right away...after i start my engine i wait about 30 seconds for the idle to drop to normal and then i drive away...but i try not to gun it for a few minutes...if i try to warm it up without driving it it will take forever to warm up ....my benz mechanic tells me theres no evidence that not warming up will hurt your engine....as long as you change oil on a regular basis you should get 200k out of your engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 08:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
A bit funny how some owners warm up their car at 50 degrees Celsius while others start and go below zero Celsius. So far I believe Marcus was the only one with technical evidence behind his views.

The fact that many engines "roar" when leaving almost immediately does not mean that this would be worse for the engine than leaving it idle too long. I'm not sure if it is all over EU but in my place idling is not allowed, max 2 minutes even at extreme cold.

Everybody is allowed to do how they feel best with their own car but I do like Marcus, except that I don't need to wait till the idle goes down, my diesel does not seem to have high idle when cold. Even if it had, I would let it run till oil lubrication works properly, then go. As long as the engine is cold, I run smoothly and avoid high rmp. At summer time it takes seconds to be ready to go, at very cold weather it may take half a minute.

Note anyway that the rest of the car needs to warm up too, you may get a false feeling if the engine has warmed up on idle while the rest of the drive train plus shocks etc. are not. Again better to get going relatively quickly but running carefully first, allowing all parts get ready.

Of course if there is a threat of windows getting misty, you have neglected preheating or other means (like using the garage) but have to wait till visibility allows safe driving.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This thread reminds me of when my father and I both had Porsches. The dealer we used was in Cleveland Ohio (300 miles from here), and one time we took a car in that they had to keep for a while so someone had to drive us tp the airport.

That turned out to be the German-born service manager, and the theee of us hopped into a cold 911 on a winter day. The guy started it and took off immediately (no warmup time at all) saying something like "you have to force the car to warm up by driving it". I have to assume that he knew what he was talking about.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 11:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2000 W202 Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
...saying something like "you have to force the car to warm up by driving it". I have to assume that he knew what he was talking about.
Yeah! I agree 101%. An engine was made to operate under a load, not sitting around idling.

From what I've read and experienced, there are more stresses on the internal components of an engine when it's idling, than when it's working under load, i.e. moving the car.

I do agree, however, that one should avoid using large throttle openings as well as high engine speeds when the motor is cold, but other than that, I'm of the opinion that a typical car engine, whether it's new or old, is not supposed to be warmed up through idling.

F R A N S
2000 Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in