Is MB Scamming us? Their Oil, Fluids, Filters? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Are you MB OEM Only? or Aftermarket?
Factory Manual says OEM so I'm OEM only! 14 29.79%
Some OEM, Some Aftermarket 50/50 Split 24 51.06%
Blow the Factory out of the Water! Aftermarket Rules! 6 12.77%
I'm confused about this whole matter 3 6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 07:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katika
Mercedes is a business, and all they do is RECOMMEND that you use their OEM parts. You are more than welcome to seek out other alternatives that will work for you AS LONG AS THESE ARE COMPATIBLE options for your vehicle. Will the average MB owner bother with all this stuff, I think not. A few, such as yourself and the rest of us on these forums, like to tool around and personalize our cars and if it means saving a couple hundred in the process, why not?

You also have to consider how technically proficient some folks are, how much time they may have to spare, and how much money they have to burn. I know the reason I take certain repairs back to the dealer is because I have a warranty when they do the work. If it breaks, or their workmanship is at fault, they fix it. When I do the stuff myself and it breaks, all I can say is oops and still have to fix it if I can, and pay for it all over again (sometimes it ends up going back to the dealer anyway). So it is what it is...the nature of the beast.
Well put. I'm all for looking for alternatives to OEM products, as long as it's compatible, as you said. For some, it may be the only option whether it's for personal or convenience reasons. In my current minor situation, why would I drive 20-25 minutes to the dealer to get OEM engine coolant when I can drive 5-10 minutes to an AutoZone and get the Zerex equivalent which is essentially the same as OEM?

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 07:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Mercedes is a business, and all they do is RECOMMEND that you use their OEM parts. You are more than welcome to seek out other alternatives that will work for you AS LONG AS THESE ARE COMPATIBLE options for your vehicle. Will the average MB owner bother with all this stuff, I think not. A few, such as yourself and the rest of us on these forums, like to tool around and personalize our cars and if it means saving a couple hundred in the process, why not?

You also have to consider how technically proficient some folks are, how much time they may have to spare, and how much money they have to burn. I know the reason I take certain repairs back to the dealer is because I have a warranty when they do the work. If it breaks, or their workmanship is at fault, they fix it. When I do the stuff myself and it breaks, all I can say is oops and still have to fix it if I can, and pay for it all over again (sometimes it ends up going back to the dealer anyway). So it is what it is...the nature of the beast.
Excellent points!

Don't believe everything you think
post #33 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mercedes recommends Mobil1 for the simple reason that Mobil and Mercedes are in a cross marketing advertising contract. Previously Mercedes recommended Valoline in the US and Castrol in Europe because that was who their marketing contracts were with. Do the oils meet Mercedes standards, of course they do. EVERY Tier1 oil meets Mercedes standards. Same logic goes for Antifreeze [AS LONG AS THE ANTIFREEZE IS FOR ALUMINUM ENGINES and Plastic Radiators - which requires reading the labels] and all other fluids that go in the cars. There are NO Mercedes BRANDED specific fluids for any of the older or new cars.

The one thing that Tier1 Oil lacks and it is due to EPA standards is adequate ZINC, which is the primary ANTI-WEAR additive in motor oil. An additive that bumps up the ZINC is recommended by most oil companies, including Mobil1.

If you read some advertisements you will see Shell advertising that they are the preferred gasoline for BMW etc. That is more cross marketing advertising. Do not confuse advertising with technical requirements.

One “exception” to the rule is tires. While the “preferred” tire is still a cross market deal, the suspensions are tuned to specific tires in that company’s line. While any tire with correct speed and load rating and correct size will work [many better], the ride and performance may be dependant on the tire that was tuned up to the suspension.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #34 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Arrow Jayhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Maybe your mind is playing tricks on you, but I posted an e-mail from my MB SA on the subject, but maybe that doesn't consitute "documentation." Once again, here is what he said:<snip>
I don't think my mind is playing tricks on me for this simple reason: Your service advisor is telling you 50,000 miles, and mine is recommending it, but is still vague about the "when". I'm willing to concede that mine is a slacker, and yours reads everything he can get his hands on, but how can either of us be assured of that?

This brings us back to a point I made in the other thread. Namely, if MBUSA is telling us one thing, and the dealers are telling us something else, what gives? And not only that, but different dealers are telling us different things (at least yours and mine are).

I'm glad I had my half-assed service done, but until someone finds, scans, and copy/pastes an official TSB or other written change in the MBUSA policy on mbworld.org, I have to assume that their policy remains the same as I copy/pasted from the email in my thread starter.

If you can formulate an effective counter-argument to the above, I'd like to see it.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #35 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Wink BMW and Shell & Chevron/Texaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
If you read some advertisements you will see Shell advertising that they are the preferred gasoline for BMW etc.
McBear,

Drive through a Chevron/Texaco station sometime, and there are likely to be prominent signs stating that BMW states they are "the best".

Just jerking your chain, maybe that marketing arrangement has changed recently, but I've seen those signs for the last couple of years!

post #36 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Arrow Katika

You have made several meaningful comments, and I'd like to thank you as well. Similar arguments can be made for MOPAR, the recommended brand of fluids and replacement parts for Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles.

There might be exceptions (meaning Ford, GM, or Chrysler might own a controlling interest in their parts suppliers) but overall I think most, if not all, of these fluids and other consumables are identical but have different brand names on them.

Last edited by Musikmann; 03-10-2007 at 09:00 AM.
post #37 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 09:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
McBear,

Drive through a Chevron/Texaco station sometime, and there are likely to be prominent signs stating that BMW states they are "the best".

Just jerking your chain, maybe that marketing arrangement has changed recently, but I've seen those signs for the last couple of years!
Maybe it was Chevron. After a few of years dealing with the kids at Ogilvy & Mather in NYC I try and avoid most advertising.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #38 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 09:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1999 SLK230 Kompressor
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, Musikmann.

Harking back to what MCBEAR mentioned about tires. I have in my MB Owners Manual leather binder a flyer advertising Dunlop tires as the recommended OEM brand for my car, '99 SLK230. I also know that BMW uses Continental as OEM, at least with the pre-Bangle models.

I bought my car with brand new Michelins on them but now I have Kumho ECSTA ASX up front and AST in rear, and the ride has never been better. Quiet, smooth, and easy on the pocket. THe Michelins were overpriced in my opinion. But some people will swear by them - to each his/her own.
post #39 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Thanks, Musikmann.

Harking back to what MCBEAR mentioned about tires. I have in my MB Owners Manual leather binder a flyer advertising Dunlop tires as the recommended OEM brand for my car, '99 SLK230. I also know that BMW uses Continental as OEM, at least with the pre-Bangle models.

I bought my car with brand new Michelins on them but now I have Kumho ECSTA ASX up front and AST in rear, and the ride has never been better. Quiet, smooth, and easy on the pocket. THe Michelins were overpriced in my opinion. But some people will swear by them - to each his/her own.
I have Kumho ECSTA ASXs on my 500E, 300SEL Twin Turbo and Sierra Truck and could not be happier. They wear great and are quiet and the performance is every bit as good as Pilots. And pushing the 300SEL around a track really puts a tire to its test.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #40 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: E320 Coupe
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone explain this "fleece" oil filter? I'm from the w124 thread and saw the poll, so decided to read. Good info and discussion here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in