6k miles and check engine/oil light didn't go on yet... - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole
Jackie - you may not have a dipstick. My 2004 CLK does not have one.

You can flip through the Instrment cluster displays to find the right page. As you said it will not give a readout unless the car is
a) level, b) oil is hot, c) engine is off. d) oil has had time to drain

So you can only do this when you finish a ride.
Park on the level. Turn off the engine. Return in 5 minutes and turn the ignition to position 1.

Now the display will advise on your oil level. (OK, or add xx litres)
I may be wrong, but I believe the 2003 CLK model is the pre-facelift? If so, then Jackie may share the same M112 engine both Musikmann and I have. If so, then it most likely would have a dipstick.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There are no transmission fluid dipsticks in some of our cars, but I thought they all had oil dipsticks(?) Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 07:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100
Mine doesn't work properly for some reason, I forgot what it says when I try to look at the oil level, I think it said the engine has to be turned off or something, I couldn't get it to measure my oil level.
While the engine is running?

So tell us about your other car. The one that has you in the habit of having the engine on when checking the oil.

355? 911? Or?????
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF

So tell us about your other car. The one that has you in the habit of having the engine on when checking the oil. 355? 911? Or?????
FOCROTFLMAO Marcus,

You are in rare form this evening!

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 08:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
However, just to be on the safe side, you should still check oil level with your dipstick every so often too.
Than being on practical side I never did that in last 8 years. (do we always have to have different opinions Musikmann?).
MB is not only having the oil level display on the cluster, but it will warn you about low oil level long before the level would drop to danger level, what would trigger red alarms.
To read the oil level on the cluster the engine must be off for some time. I remember like 10 minutes. I usually did it in the morning before starting the car.
That was till I figured out, that our ML is not burning the oil and I am safe for 13,000 miles till next change.
Older models don't have the 12-month intervals. We usually drive 18 months between the changes on our 99 models.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 05:21 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
There are no transmission fluid dipsticks in some of our cars, but I thought they all had oil dipsticks(?) Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.
Sorry if I mislead... I am talking about my W209 - facelift CLK which has no engine oil dipstick. It relies entirely on the electronics to check the oil level.

I was told by the local MB dealership that on later models the dipstick was restored again, so possibly the 'experiment' was not a success. Believe me, I would prefer to be able to visually check the condition of my engine oil. How else would I know of a head gasket failure by the presence of water in the oil?
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes CLK320
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF

So tell us about your other car. The one that has you in the habit of having the engine on when checking the oil.

355? 911? Or?????
I don't have another car right now. The one I had before this one was an Accord. I never checked my own oil before to be totally honest and never used a dipstick I usually just take it to the mechanic/dealer because I don't know how to anything at all with cars. I'd rather have a professional do it.

I didn't know about turning the engine checking the oil because I thought the steering wheel control could measure it while it was running. I guess not

I do know that you're not supposed to leave the engine running if you check it yourself because it's dangerous, but I never checked my own oil to be honest. I usually have someone help me or take it to a mechanic...

Last edited by jackie100; 03-08-2007 at 06:21 AM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 06:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mercedes Benz of Florida
Quote:
I have an 03 CLK320 . I got it from the dealer and already drove 6k miles on it.

Will it automatically tell me when I'm supposed to do an oil change or should I just do it every so many miles?

10,000 Miles is the NORM, but nothing prevents you from changing out your easy to get to OIL FILTER at mid-range!
I just cannot get my mind around changing the Oil at 10,000 miles!
I change my Oil out at 7,500 miles with a fresh Oil Filter.
I dunno, maybe it's my own personal hang up.

Am I the only one here who finds 10,000 miles kinda creepy?

It's like the "LIFETIME" Transmission Oil. Puh-leeze!
Every 2-3 years, no more.

I dunno; I think it's just me...

Charles
New York City, NY
Richmond County

United States of America
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 07:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^^Yeah, 10,000 makes me nervous too even with synthetic. Maybe if it was all highway driving but if a lot of it was city I would probably change it sooner

Quote:
I do know that you're not supposed to leave the engine running if you check it yourself because it's dangerous,
That's not the main reason. In theory you could check the oil level with the engine running and not get hurt if you were careful. The main reason is that when the engine is running a lot of the oil is up in various parts of the engine, so the level will read low even though the car is not really low on oil. That's why it should sit for at least 10 minutes--so the oil can drain back down into the oil pan.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Than being on practical side I never did that in last 8 years. (do we always have to have different opinions Musikmann?).
To be totally honest, I don't do it that much either. When I do, it is mainly to see how clean/dirty the oil looks to me. Admittedly, it's not that empirical an evaluation (what do I know?) but it makes me feel better if it looks clean.

We do have some differing opinions, but why don't we just "agree to disagree" Kajtek1?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in