post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 09:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: '04 SL 500, '03 BMW M5, '03 BMW 325i,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesam
does it really matter which one is the best? As long as the respective owners love their car who cares? And those car reviews are stupid anyway, they only get to spend hours/day or 2 testing them...you can't judge/review a car by that timeframe...they don't take reliablility/build quality in the reviews...just because they said the new s class is better than the Lexus doesn't meant the s class is
more reliable over a period of years....

Now go to the Lexus forums and post the same thread...you'll get a different reponse altogether...of course every here's going to favour the Merc...
I agree. I know my SL may not be as reliable as our Hondas, but it's all about the overall driving experience. I don't really care if the SL costs more to maintain and run. The sheer fun of driving our MB out weighs the cost. We actually considered the Lexus egg but quickly dismissed the idea after comparing test drives. But, to each his own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 09:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncoach
I agree. I know my SL may not be as reliable as our Hondas, but it's all about the overall driving experience. I don't really care if the SL costs more to maintain and run. The sheer fun of driving our MB out weighs the cost. We actually considered the Lexus egg but quickly dismissed the idea after comparing test drives. But, to each his own.

yeah exactly...I've got 2 20 year old Mercs...I've been in my workmate's new E class and it's a MUCH better car than my SECs but I'd still buy another SEC because I love that model...same as you bought the SL instead of the lexus because you desire it.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 05:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 86' 420SEL & 560SEL
There's no substitute!

Again, when comes down to sheer quality and longevity. There's no substitute for a Mercedes. My family including myself have owned both vehicles and clearly the Mercedes win hands down. This is not to say that the Lexus marque isn't a good car. In fact, its an excellent vehicle. But, in comparison to Mercedes, the Lexus brand are mere copies of the reality! However, like one forum member best stated:" To each is his own!" As for the Sterling, MG-Rover has always been a joke!. The only British cars worth mentioning are the TVR, Rolls Royce, and the Aston Martin's. The rest are simply garbage!

Last edited by chp1884; 03-06-2007 at 05:43 PM.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 06:15 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1884
Again, when comes down to sheer quality and longevity. There's no substitute for a Mercedes. My family including myself have owned both vehicles and clearly the Mercedes win hands down. This is not to say that the Lexus marque isn't a good car. In fact, its an excellent vehicle. But, in comparison to Mercedes, the Lexus brand are mere copies of the reality! However, like one forum member best stated:" To each is his own!" As for the Sterling, MG-Rover has always been a joke!. The only British cars worth mentioning are the TVR, Rolls Royce, and the Aston Martin's. The rest are simply garbage!

lol...TVRs....lol............

You forgot Jaguars...I think they're nice....especially an MK1 E-Type and the MkII...

Triumph TRs anyone? Nice fun little cars...same with old Austin Healeys....c'mon man....

And Land Rovers....the most capable off-road SUVs in the world...
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Lifetime Premium Member
The only problem I have with jey5ive's thread starter is I think he is confusing J.D. Powers and Associates with Consumer Reports. CR is the organization that compares everything from toasters to microwaves to cars.

To be honest, I don't know as much about J.D. Powers as I think I know about Consumer's Union, but the bottom line is this: I think we are all better served if we follow reviews by organizations that are devoted to cars. In my opinion, that means Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, and the rest of the automobile-devoted magazines/orgs.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 07:04 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: w100 600. w116 6.9.. w123 300D Long, w126 280 Euro, w126 300sd
our family has owned several Mercedes since the early 50's....
the last Mercedes we bought is a W140....
the next one we will buy is an older Mercedes "classic"

we have new Lexus all the way around....
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290
lol...TVRs....lol............

You forgot Jaguars...I think they're nice....especially an MK1 E-Type and the MkII.....
My older brother had a 1969 E-type convertible. BRG and tan. He wasn't allowed to take it with him for his first year in college, so I got to drive it AND my 1970 Mach1 for an extended time while in high school. The E was never referred to as a Mark II. That doesn't mean they aren't commonly referred to as Mark II's now, but it was referred to as a Series 2 back then. My dad had a Jag Mark II when I was just starting grade school (mid sixties). I remember being dropped off in it. There was no confusing the two. The Mark II was a four door that started when it wanted, and the E, although it never got me stranded, was a more modern temperamental car.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
The only problem I have with jey5ive's thread starter is I think he is confusing J.D. Powers and Associates with Consumer Reports. CR is the organization that compares everything from toasters to microwaves to cars.

To be honest, I don't know as much about J.D. Powers as I think I know about Consumer's Union, but the bottom line is this: I think we are all better served if we follow reviews by organizations that are devoted to cars. In my opinion, that means Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, and the rest of the automobile-devoted magazines/orgs.
Unless I'm mistaken, JD Powers tests everything as well. Go to Compare Used Car Ratings | J.D. Power and enter the year/make/model info for your E. We all like what we like, so I don't think it should sway you one way or another, but it may bring a smile to your face.

There are other companies that do related studies. I copied this when I bought my CLK . . . . . . . . . . . . at dealer wholesale . . . . . . . . from a dealer . . . . . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resale.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	119501  
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 07:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2007 Volvo S40, 1991 Mercedes-Benz 300E
I have both a Lexus and a Mercedes and hands down the Lexus if a much better automobile. It has a lot more miles and a lot less problems than the Mercedes does. Don't get me wrong, I love the styling and heritage of Mercedes, but Lexus quality is far superior.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Unless I'm mistaken, JD Powers tests everything as well.
Hey Marcus, I stand corrected! Thanks for the clarification. BTW, since you were talking about "our" beloved Porsches (Poochies according to a friend of mine), I'm sorry you had such a time with that starter. When mine went out on the 1976 Targa, my brother-in-law replaced it for me, with one from NAPA I think, and I was on the road again. I don't remember what it cost me, but I think I can assume it was still quite a bit.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in