Mercedes VS. Lexus. This should end all debates - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhorizan
Hi:
Certainly an interesting and debatable topic which make this forum fun and interesting. I don't own either a MB or Lexus currently but appreciate both from the standpoint of quality and design for their niche markets.

One thing that is concerning is the MB's ongoing reliability reputation. Consumer Reports Magazine just came out with their annual auto review issue. They have always been very objective in their reports, buying items reviewed and lean toward the cost conscious and quality minded consumer. They rated 2007 Mercedes models very highly but couldn't recommend any due to history of repair and quality control issues. In fact they made the comment: "A 9 year old Lexus sedan is more reliable than a 6 month old Mercedes S class". That comment certainly got my attention!
Get back in your Toyota and drive away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Brand-XTrollsShouldGoAway.com

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 03:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
asianml's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 11,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Get back in your Toyota and drive away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Brand-XTrollsShouldGoAway.com
He owns neither. You may have just driven a prospective S-Class owner away from this forum...

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

asianml is offline  
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 04:28 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Tony_K's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 95 E320 (Sold!), 06 ML350, 03 S430, 00 Pontiac Formula WS6
Location: Florida
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having driven a Lexus GS430 and an LS430 in the last few months, I could sum up this informative post in only a few words...

Lexus has no soul.

Well - at least consumer reports thinks highly of the spiffed up Toyotas...

http://www.olphoto.net

"From out of no where a Mercedes Benz; came cruising up and whipped right in"

Blake Shelton, "Some Beach"
Tony_K is offline  
 
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 04:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 7,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_K

Well - at least consumer reports thinks highly of the spiffed up Toyotas...
The fact that alot of posts end like this really show that brand whoring is alive and well, I don't care if the cars a Toyota or even a Lada, fact is Lexus makes a very very good car in many ways just as good as MB.
NZ Benz is offline  
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
chp1884's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 86' 420SEL & 560SEL
Location: Washington Metropolitian Area
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2.8 million dollar question

What automotive manufactor has a production car with 2.8 million miles? It certainly isn't Lexus! In fact, when have you seen a Lexus with over 200k. This is a very, very, very, very rarrrrre occurance. In contrast, my father owns a 87 260E with 450K+ . It runs like new! These personal stories of owners with this mileage will only be found amonsgt Mercedes owners. After all, this is the reason why we pay premium prices for Mercedes not, Lexus or any other brand for that matter! Beware of the consumer report articles on vehicle reliability. They don't present the complete story! Just ask any Sterling owner. Oh, my fault, Sterling's are no longer in production. I wonder why? Hmmmm!

Last edited by chp1884; 03-05-2007 at 05:14 PM.
chp1884 is offline  
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 05:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Benz
The fact that alot of posts end like this really show that brand whoring is alive and well, I don't care if the cars a Toyota or even a Lada, fact is Lexus makes a very very good car in many ways just as good as MB.
You've got to be kidding!

Brand-XTrollsShouldGoAway.com

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1884
................ Beware of the consumer report articles on vehicle reliability. They don't present the complete story! Just ask any Sterling owner. Oh, my fault, Sterling's are no longer in production. I wonder why? Hmmmm!
Good post!

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 06:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the price and resale value it's really hard to beat a Lexus.

97 W210 E420, stock !!
Rhansantiago is offline  
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 06:35 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
chinny4290's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Location: Saddle River, Bergen County, New Jersey
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1884
What automotive manufactor has a production car with 2.8 million miles? It certainly isn't Lexus! In fact, when have you seen a Lexus with over 200k. This is a very, very, very, very rarrrrre occurance. In contrast, my father owns a 87 260E with 450K+ . It runs like new! These personal stories of owners with this mileage will only be found amonsgt Mercedes owners. After all, this is the reason why we pay premium prices for Mercedes not, Lexus or any other brand for that matter! Beware of the consumer report articles on vehicle reliability. They don't present the complete story! Just ask any Sterling owner. Oh, my fault, Sterling's are no longer in production. I wonder why? Hmmmm!

Actually, you're wrong. Sterling still currently exists and produces heavy duty trucks and some buses.

Sterling was also a subsidiary of former British Leyland, MG-Rover. The Sterling car was basically a rebadged Rover 800. And MG-Rover does still exist today. So in someway, Sterlings are still in production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhansantiago
For the price and resale value it's really hard to beat a Lexus.

Japanese cars in general hold their value more than the Europeans and the Americans do.
chinny4290 is offline  
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
rothmans18's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
does it really matter which one is the best? As long as the respective owners love their car who cares? And those car reviews are stupid anyway, they only get to spend hours/day or 2 testing them...you can't judge/review a car by that timeframe...they don't take reliablility/build quality in the reviews...just because they said the new s class is better than the Lexus doesn't meant the s class is
more reliable over a period of years....

Now go to the Lexus forums and post the same thread...you'll get a different reponse altogether...of course every here's going to favour the Merc...
rothmans18 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
New zealand debates ill effects of eating dog poop firstmb Off-Topic 2 09-30-2012 05:51 AM
Lexus Copies Mercedes deutsche280 General Mercedes-Benz 30 08-01-2006 06:56 PM
Lexus or Mercedes Benz? AnE2pleaz W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class 22 10-09-2004 01:20 AM
Mercedes Vs. Lexus Again... Shane R170 SLK-Class 12 07-11-2003 09:07 AM
LEXUS vs MERCEDES vs BMW....BTW...whats this im reading about mercedes having bad build quality???? glacierCLK430 C208/A208 CLK-Class 6 02-12-2003 12:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome