post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290
I find it comical in how you can't see that CR reviews for long-term reliability are credible.

You can't leave long-term reliability testing to car magazines. They only evaluate on cars from their first impressions over only the course of several days. Yea, some magazines may feature some long-term testing, but do they do it for every single car? Do they take surveys over a large mass of people who buy products and then evaluate on that? Car magazines don't do reviews like that. They're mainly supposed to comment on the actual good and bad aspects and features of a car: performance, practicality, and ergonomics etc. They don't comment and evaluate the long term of owning the cars.

In addition, I find car magazines to be more performance-oriented in terms of evaluations where as CR is more best value for money (I'm short on words right now, I just came back from a mid-term). CR appeals more to people who don't car about names and performance when it comes to cars, given everyone's example about the Hyundai Azera, Lincoln Zephyr, Buick Lucerne. They appeal to people who want sensible and reliable transportation and don't care about going fast in a straight line or in a corner, or what degree of quality/refinement is better in a make or what not.
Take a deep breath my friend...

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:55 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: Oo == oO 98 E320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Remember guys: CR LIKES MB vehicles when they test them fresh & new...it's just the owner's experience with them that hurts in the long run. My current car is a good example: stuff wearing out & needing to be replaced at 2/3 the miles as my last two. This scenario was foretold years ago that build quality would improve on cars all across the spectrum. Has MB farmed out too many components that do not live up to the body, engine & tansmission? There's a reason that the average folks are buying up used Lexus & keeping their resale values higher.

'87 300E: sold after 11years @ 230k & still on the road somewhere in rural Tennessee.

'94 C220 with 93k totalled 10/06 by hit & run broadsiding monster truck: not a scratch or bruise for me
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 11:35 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
No, they're not at the top of the list. But I believe that greater expectations accompany bigger price tags. If I lay out $18K for a car, my expectations are far lower than if I lay out $70K. The more I spend, the greater and more vocal my outrage when something goes amiss.
Very well said.
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 01:15 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2000 ml430, 99 infiniti i30 limited edition
mb may not be on top but the ml is the safest luxury suv in its class, hands down. Too bad for rx330 or rx300. Or x5. Sorry.
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 10:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2002 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnamoss
Remember guys: CR LIKES MB vehicles when they test them fresh & new...it's just the owner's experience with them that hurts in the long run. My current car is a good example: stuff wearing out & needing to be replaced at 2/3 the miles as my last two. This scenario was foretold years ago that build quality would improve on cars all across the spectrum. Has MB farmed out too many components that do not live up to the body, engine & tansmission? There's a reason that the average folks are buying up used Lexus & keeping their resale values higher.
Very true. Even the w210 was chosen "best overall vehicle" in their 1999 Auto Issue. It tested extremely well, and at that time had at least average reliability. Also, it should be noted that as much as they fawn over Lexus, they have never really been that impressed with how the vehicles handle on the road. Ride - yes, but handling - no. More so with Acura, where they have consistently stated that their flagship sedan (TL?) doesn't come close to competing with other vehicles in it's class as far as handling goes. I think they are just trying to save people money and grief by pointing out if you want drop $50k-$100k on a luxury car, a Lexus would be statiscally more worry free, get the job done, and be a better investment. Just as not as much fun as other makes =) Actually, going by the recent 2007 CR Auto Issue, a BMW 3/5 series or X5 would be the way to go for best mix of reliability, handling, and luxury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in