How to unlock your car with just your cell phone. - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to n1philli Send a message via Skype™ to n1philli
It wasn't on a Mercedes. It was on a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Well I know he wasn't full of it because he had his PDA in one hand the stylus in the other. He had some kind of program on it that enabled him to do this. But no reason to argue about why or how he did or didn't do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 05:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E420
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1philli
It wasn't on a Mercedes. It was on a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Well I know he wasn't full of it because he had his PDA in one hand the stylus in the other. He had some kind of program on it that enabled him to do this. But no reason to argue about why or how he did or didn't do it.
He was messing with you. A Mitsubishi uses an RF transmitter, not IR. The IR port on the PDA wouldn't do anything.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 01:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnair
He was messing with you. A Mitsubishi uses an RF transmitter, not IR. The IR port on the PDA wouldn't do anything.
This info explains a lot, thaks for clarifying (how many cars actually use IR or IR and RF like MB?). Odd that some people need to fool others like here. Fine if it was a joke but the guy should have let the other person know it was not real.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
It might be possible. I asked someone about this and got this as an answer:

The 400 mhz your key fob works at is the carrier. The modulated code is much lower like 10 kilohertz. The microphone is a coil near a magnet, which electrically can act like an antenna. It can't tell the difference between sound and electrical noise. Electrical noise is usually something you try to get rid of. If the signal is within the bandwidth of the cell , and can drive the speaker at the other end, the speakers voice coil can also also act as an antenna and might radiate enough energy to reproduce the modulated signal. It makes sense IF the signal strength going to the car is strong enough.

I haven't bothered trying this on my car since it uses a rollong code and the guy who sent me this might be full of hot air, but I thought I would pass it on anyway.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5160u
It might be possible. I asked someone about this and got this as an answer:

The 400 mhz your key fob works at is the carrier. The modulated code is much lower like 10 kilohertz. The microphone is a coil near a magnet, which electrically can act like an antenna. It can't tell the difference between sound and electrical noise. Electrical noise is usually something you try to get rid of. If the signal is within the bandwidth of the cell , and can drive the speaker at the other end, the speakers voice coil can also also act as an antenna and might radiate enough energy to reproduce the modulated signal. It makes sense IF the signal strength going to the car is strong enough.

I haven't bothered trying this on my car since it uses a rollong code and the guy who sent me this might be full of hot air, but I thought I would pass it on anyway.
I don't believe in this theory. There is some correct theory behind the speculation but the attenuation at the process that is relevant, would be way too high. In addition it assumes unrealistically high non-linearity from the cell phone microphone and specifically the speaker circuitry.

You would have to have a "Chinese" cell phone that has not been type approved to have that lousy microphone design that it would first pick up the modulation from a 400 MHz signal at very low power from the car key (while e.g. a GSM phone would be transmitting at perhaps 25- 35 dB higher power, and close to its own microphone with strong AM which needs to be filtered). This mobile would produce all kinds of audio disturbance from any low and of course from any high power radio signals of similar frequencies and modulated at audio signal bandwidth.

Now if the microphone circuitry was intentionally modified to pick up audio range AM-modulation, this audio would get transmitted thought the cell phone connection and the audio signal would get produced by the speaker but the bandwidth of the audio signal would be strictly limited to less than 4 kHz over the phone line and even if the cell phone supported music etc. the signal bandwidth at the speaker would be limited to less than 20 kHz and would have very high linearity meaning no distortion and harmonics produced at high frequencies. There is simply not sufficient energy at the 400 MHz range that the car would pick up (this is 400 000 times higher frequency, anybody knowing how harmonics get attenuated would know the attenuation being almost infinite even on a highly non-linear circuit) even if the speaker was connected with wires to the car antenna, not to mention taking into account the path loss even if you were holding the phone at a few centimetres from the car antenna. The cellular regulations anyway generally allow a maximum of -36 dBm power (at a 30 kHz bandwidth) and a lot less than that for specific frequency bands.

I still consider the IR approach being the most realistic and even that would not work for MB with a rolling code.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:29 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
I think you are right about it being BS. Out here in North America cell phones have to be type accepted in order to be approved for sale and that means it must meet standards for stray radiation, frequency tracking and noise rejection. If it met those standards it could not be used the way it was described.

BTW:

Most of the high quality consumer electronics sold here including Motorola branded cell phones and the computer I am using right now are made in China. I would be willing to bet that a lot of Mercedes electronic gremlins wuld go away if they stopped depending on critical electronic modules made in former Eastern Block work collectives and started sourcing them from China like Toyota, Honda and even V.W. have done.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in