"Reverse Light, L
Check Lamp!"

"Turn Signal, L
Check Lamp!"

"Tail Light, R
Substitue Lamp On!"

"3rd Stop Lamp
Check Lamp!"

When I inspect the lights- they all work. On occasion, I will have up to three additional faults referring to various other lamps. Is there something I can check within the electrical system that may be causing these faults?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It could be a fault in the electrical system, but I would take it to my dealer to diagnose that. It is also common for the metal light bulb fixtures on our cars to corrode and cause faults. Just because all lights appear to be working doesn't mean they are. As I understand it, they are engineered to use other bulbs to compensate for bad ones.

Don't believe everything you think
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 12:23 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 1998 CLK320 (died honorably); 1999 SLK230 Sport (died dishonorably); 1987 560sec, 95 E320 Cab
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stop Lamp?

Symptoms are in line with stop lamp switch failure. It's behind the brake pedal - but you will probably have to pull a little plastic under the dash (I don't know your interior layout). The part is less than $25, and a half hour fix the first time (ten minutes, really - but slow the first time. Do search for instructs.). You can test it for functionality before buying one, by making sure it clicks smoothly in and out, and using a regular multimeter. Its about the size of a cig. lighter, with a button on end that gets pushed in by brake pedal action, and clicks out from the electrical signal by a simple two wire plug on the back. But they are known to go bad, so the odds of you having to replace someday anyway are good. Bad fault signals can be a bitch to chase down, even for a good shop, as they are often related to other electrical issues. Buy a $20 wal-mart multimeter from Wal-Mart. I didn't even own one until a month ago - or know much about using it - but it turned out to be the most useful tool in my box for diagnosing my car (208 320).
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Check for corrosion between the contacts...

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: