post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2006 CLS 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First oil change...

My CLS500 needs an oil change (first one) at 4000miles...is there anything i need to know before I get it changed? Do I HAVE to get it done at the dealer for some reason? Do I need to know anything special if i don't go to the dealer?? How many quarts oil? Any additives needed???? HELP PLEASE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2006 CLS 500
(Thread Starter)
So I called the STEALERSHIP and they told me that I need to get my oil changed every 10-13K!!! Wow is this normal for most MBs??? This is my first car so everything is new to me!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 02:52 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 350 M class
Had the same questions for my oil change for my M Class 350. See W164 under EWALD about 3 weeks ago Titled first oil change. Received different opinions. What I did:
Did not change at 1 k
Will change at 6 k,( book says every 13 k)
Will change at every 6 k
Different opinions from qualified people. I learned a lot concerning oil life
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 03:15 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: Oo == oO 98 E320
Read the owner's manual carefully as you do not need it done at 4k unless a whole year has gone by since purchase.
You don't need to worry yourself over how many quarts etc. The dealer knows exactly what to do. If you go elsewhere, make sure they use an approved synthetic oil in the proper weight (info in owner's manual) as well as a fleece oil filter, not a typical paper insert oil filter &&& keep your receipt. As new, expensive & technically advanced your car is, I would be tempted to rely on the dealer as it will be easy for them to identify any other issues that can & should be taken care of, especially while still under warranty.

'87 300E: sold after 11years @ 230k & still on the road somewhere in rural Tennessee.

'94 C220 with 93k totalled 10/06 by hit & run broadsiding monster truck: not a scratch or bruise for me
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '87 560 SL, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5IVE
My CLS500 needs an oil change (first one) at 4000miles...is there anything i need to know before I get it changed? Do I HAVE to get it done at the dealer for some reason? Do I need to know anything special if i don't go to the dealer?? How many quarts oil? Any additives needed???? HELP PLEASE!
Let me see if I'm getting this correctly....you have a vehicle that is valued at $64,165.00 per KBB and you're considering NOT going to the dealership?? Think about it: do you want some highschool kid from Jiffy Lube even coming near your car? You're not really trying to save a few bucks, are you? Do you realize that the dealer does a thorough check of your car when you have the oil changed and that your car is under warranty!! Why would you think they would be called a "Stealership" - have you had a bad experience in the past? Please, do yourself a favor, get to know the dealership and make friends with them. Place your very expensive and valuable car, that is still under warranty, in their capable hands.

Last edited by roncor; 02-16-2007 at 06:03 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 06:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
So I called the STEALERSHIP and they told me that I need to get my oil changed every 10-13K!!! Wow is this normal for most MBs??? This is my first car so everything is new to me!
Most newer Mercedes have a countdown timer that looks at time/mileage/and oil condition, typically one year 10k miles.
If you dont want a A service or a B service where they check and replace items, get an oil change, and the prices are not that far out of line, they might find things that are covered under warranty. I dont know who brainwashed you, I dont have any faith in some kid, who is never going to be a MB mechanic working at Jiffy Oil. My company had a fleet of at least 2000 cars and we turned them every three years, and our people wanted quick oil changes, I have heard of underfill/overfill, loose filters and leaking pan gaskets when they sold the trans flushes.
MB uses a fleece filter, and synthetic oil. I have had my 92 serviced at least once a year by the dealer and the last few years with Synthetic oil, if not find an "indi" that is good, I guarantee he wont be very cheap either! I dont use any additives in any of my cars!
You get what you pay for K mart sells tires also!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 07:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Classic 92 190E 2.6
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
roncor,

I just about passed out when I saw the original post by 5IVE.

Do you think he will do a even trade for a 190E?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 08:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mercedes Benz of Florida
Quote:

Dang yall are being too harsh on 5IVE...he was just asking a question...predicated by his statement....he is new to this format/forum.

5IVE; since you have a 2006 I would definitely recommend you go to Stealership.
In this case; I default to Stealership. They will go over your awesome MB with a checklist and update all that is necessary. Sometimes they even take care of Recall issues, TSB's and whatever else is necessary.
( down the road; after warranty expires I can definitely see you dropping your own oil at home and getting "down and dirty" )

And umm hey; your in Illinois; its too daggone cold for you to step outside and do your own oil change LOL

Seriously yall; chill on the Forum members.
Its all about helping one another; not ripping others apart.

Charles
New York City, NY
Richmond County

United States of America
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 09:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Classic 92 190E 2.6
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz of Florida
Dang yall are being too harsh on 5IVE...he was just asking a question...predicated by his statement....he is new to this format/forum.

5IVE; since you have a 2006 I would definitely recommend you go to Stealership.
In this case; I default to Stealership. They will go over your awesome MB with a checklist and update all that is necessary. Sometimes they even take care of Recall issues, TSB's and whatever else is necessary.
( down the road; after warranty expires I can definitely see you dropping your own oil at home and getting "down and dirty" )

And umm hey; your in Illinois; its too daggone cold for you to step outside and do your own oil change LOL

Seriously yall; chill on the Forum members.
Its all about helping one another; not ripping others apart.
Yes, true so I apologize to 5IVE, stay on the forum, but read your manual (I have a thing about people not reading their manual).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in