LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 07:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: Hopes & Dreams
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey there,

I don't know if you were referring to me or not, but if so... no, no offense taken buddy. I'm not saying you made a bad choice either, just fulfilling my curiosity.

I have a CLK430 myself and I can tell you it's not a bad car at all, w208 is my preference, personally, I think that it is one of the sexiest car bodies I've seen. I'm not a huge fan of the newer ones, but they're nice too.

I'm not too familiar with the car you're getting, but enjoy, I know I love mine and its V8!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't have a W124, but I'm casually looking at those and W126. From what I've read, you made a smart model decision so congratulations! I'd like to see the photos when you have them too please.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 06:00 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
I’ve owned some cars that others have been referred to as a POS. There was a certain car built in 1993 that had the head gasket redesigned for the umpteenth time because they regularly failed during the prior three or four years of production. Even though the head gasket change did make a big difference, it still suffered from other "oddities". Idiosyncrasies such as valve guides that wore out in the first 20,000 or so miles. It was common for the exhaust valves themselves to be worn beyond spec during that same time frame. This same car suffered from poor ring sealing due to warped cylinder walls. Yes, "warped". Rumor had it the warped cylinders were due to overheating. The same rumor said this was brought on by a lower splash shield that impeded cooling. After the splash shield was removed the problem persisted, so a chip upgrade to make it run cooler followed. Dyno testing after the chip upgrade showed a serious decrease in power. Shortly thereafter I was informed that the ECU does a component check when booted. If foreign hardware (such as an aftermarket chip) was detected, ignition advance was severely retarded. That caused it to run both slow AND hot. Speaking of ignition advance, the car in question had dual plug heads with a second distributor drive being powered by a belt driven from the first distributor. The belts regularly broke because the engineers neglected to vent the distributors. Lovely, eh? Many people referred to this particular car as a POS. Of course, there are others who feel this car, the 1993/94 Porsche RS America, was a work of art. It's all in one's perspective I suppose.

Congrats on your new car.
That was real nice, very well-written and subtly expressive. You've single-handedly wiped out my dream of ever owning a Porsche. Now I know why they always drive so fast - it's probably to work off the frustration of owning one
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS650C
That was real nice, very well-written and subtly expressive. You've single-handedly wiped out my dream of ever owning a Porsche. Now I know why they always drive so fast - it's probably to work off the frustration of owning one
Well, he just mentioned one Porsche. They are actually quite reliable cars. Take for instance the 911. The recipe/design of the car is over 40 years old, obviously with some changes. But other than that, the 911 should really be as reliable as a wood-burning stove, as was the original.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290
Well, he just mentioned one Porsche. They are actually quite reliable cars. Take for instance the 911. The recipe/design of the car is over 40 years old, obviously with some changes. But other than that, the 911 should really be as reliable as a wood-burning stove, as was the original.
Couple of things;

(1) The RS America IS a 911. It's was the least expensive version of the 1989/90 C2. Those problems were not specific to a single car, or the RS in particular. The C2 model, which was the most popular Porsche sold during it's time, had the problems I listed.

(2) Would having to remove the engine repeatedly be an indication that a car lacks reliability? If so, you are mistaken regarding current reliability. The current 911 has had an ongoing problem since this design was released. Do a search on the words "Porsche RMS".
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
(Thread Starter)
Sorry to keep you guys out of the dark for so long, but we just picked it up today and here are the pics! The mini vid on PutFile.com is of a quick start up.

Click here to watch my-car-starting-up

I'll promise to take better pics!
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Very nice!

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 09:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: Hopes & Dreams
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Word, great color, great choice, great looking car, congrats on the new ride!

Be safe, drive safe.

Too bad for us it's still winter here
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice!! We need daytime pics.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
Nice!! We need daytime pics.
And that's what I got. Little dirty, but I'm going to hand wash it later this week.

Sorry, i went a little crazy...I love taking pictures haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in