BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1985 300D Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
mercedes quality (II) and advice/ help

hey,
I have a 1985 300d turbo which I love, but my family is thinking about getting a new car and possibly a mercedes wagon
there have been several posts recently about mercedes quality, and since the last post was so huge, i thought id start a new one

[QUOTE=190Evoluzione]The perception of MB in the UK is unfortunately similar to their
image in the US. The main bugbear here is customer service - MB dealerships
packed with rude young men who know f**k-all about anything built before 2000.

Amen to this--I had to have my valves adjusted on my 1985 300d and the dealership bearly gave me the time of day. And i have heard that the last full hand built mercedes were in the 1960s--correct me if i am wrong
anyway
I have asked many people as to the quality of todays mercedes and generally the response is that the mercedes of the late 1990s-early 2000s were not that good, due to slipping quality controls, and complicated electrials both nessisary and "extras" which due to their newness often had many gliches.

Now people are saying that mercedes is getting its act back together, and that the new cars are improving each year, with better quality control and helped by the smoothing out of the daimler chrysler merger.

What do you think about the quality of mercedes today vs 5-7 years ago--do you agree with the above? Also, as a side question, how much should one expect to pay for mercedes dealer maintainance for the first few years--most have told me this is where the real expenses lie
thanks for your opinions

Last edited by bulletproof diesel; 02-13-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 08:23 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
yes, i agree with your thoughts, MBs 2007 model year and beyond should be of much better quality. avoid 00-06 MBs (any model)

Gone but not forgotten:
2003 Honda S2000
1999 BMW 540i sport
1995 BMW M3
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 08:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
prov1x what makes you think Mercedes has gotten better? I say give them 10-20 years and see if they improve. If Mercedes says they have improved that is meaningless! I do not believe a company that has focused solely on cost cutting for 15 years is going to turn on a dime and be 2006 no good, 2007 good! No one gave the American car companies that kind of leeway. They still suffer to some degree 35 years after it was found out there quality was not good. An idicator is a 2007 e280 is 68k Can$ less than 28 years ago and they felt the need to come out with a cheaper car showing where there focus is. CHEAPER!
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

it's clear that MB quality has hit the rock-bottom in the recent years, ranking even behind makes like Hyundai & Kia. That was when Schrempp was thrown out and the new boss Zetsche took charge in early 2006. Zetsche really took some extreme measures and nearly completely overhauled the suppliers for MB cars and tighter manufacturing tolerances. Immediately the improvements are showing, and 2007s seem to be on the same level as other rival's such as BMW cars.

However MB still has to deal with the ailing Chrysler, b/c Chrysler is losing $hit tons of money and that money will come from Daimler, which will undoubtedly affect MB's quality, future R&D, and bottom-line.

Gone but not forgotten:
2003 Honda S2000
1999 BMW 540i sport
1995 BMW M3
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 09:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
They're obviously going to say that the quality problems are a thing of the past but at this point there is not yet any evidence that that is the case.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 09:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyt
prov1x what makes you think Mercedes has gotten better? I say give them 10-20 years and see if they improve. If Mercedes says they have improved that is meaningless! I do not believe a company that has focused solely on cost cutting for 15 years is going to turn on a dime and be 2006 no good, 2007 good! No one gave the American car companies that kind of leeway. They still suffer to some degree 35 years after it was found out there quality was not good. An idicator is a 2007 e280 is 68k Can$ less than 28 years ago and they felt the need to come out with a cheaper car showing where there focus is. CHEAPER!
Has it really gotten that bad for Mercedes Benz ??

Is there really any hope for the company ??

97 W210 E420, stock !!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhansantiago
Has it really gotten that bad for Mercedes Benz ??

Is there really any hope for the company ??

unfortunately, Mercedes Benz will probably never be the best selling, or the best luxury brand again. Fact is, Lexus cars are superior to MBs in almost every aspect today except the past history and the prestige of the 3-pointed star (but that gap is closing fast as well). Lexus has been the #1 selling luxury brand for the last 8 yrs. Mercedes had the rock-solid build quality going for them, which the Japanese brands lacked, but Mercedes does not even have that anymore. Not to mention being many years behind on the electronics and technology.

Finally, even if MB got their $hit together, it does not help at all that Daimler has Chrysler on its back that loses billions of dollars every year, whereas Lexus is backed by the biggest, most profitable parent company. No comparison

Gone but not forgotten:
2003 Honda S2000
1999 BMW 540i sport
1995 BMW M3
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1x
unfortunately, Mercedes Benz will probably never be the best selling, or the best luxury brand again. Fact is, Lexus cars are superior to MBs in almost every aspect today except the past history and the prestige of the 3-pointed star (but that gap is closing fast as well). Lexus has been the #1 selling luxury brand for the last 8 yrs. Mercedes had the rock-solid build quality going for them, which the Japanese brands lacked, but Mercedes does not even have that anymore. Not to mention being many years behind on the electronics and technology.

Finally, even if MB got their $hit together, it does not help at all that Daimler has Chrysler on its back that loses billions of dollars every year, whereas Lexus is backed by the biggest, most profitable parent company. No comparison
Good thing for starters they have an engineer instead of a bean counter as an CEO, dump Chrysler would be a great next step.

I have a lot of respect for Lexus, since I have my own family members themselves driving a Lexus, only thing missing from them is the driving feel, soul and heritage, once Lexus has that figured out, global domination.

97 W210 E420, stock !!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 10:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1x
However MB still has to deal with the ailing Chrysler, b/c Chrysler is losing $hit tons of money and that money will come from Daimler, which will undoubtedly affect MB's quality, future R&D, and bottom-line.
Chrysler announces it's P/L numbers later today. I would expect , based on some rumblings that I have heard that DC will be making their first sweep of Chrysler in another St Valentine's Day Massacre.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
13,000 Chrysler Workers laid off

Looks like they did do the cuts today. 13K. Too bad it was not some of the managers that made the poor decisions in the first place.

BREITBART.COM - Chrysler to Eliminate Nearly 13,000 Jobs

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in