Why Mercedes Benz is better than BMW - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 10:32 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike
This is, of course, a never-ending debate. It's also an utterly pointless one. If we are to compare reliability/quality, especially over the last 10-15 years, I don't think either company looks so great. They've both had their fair share of engineering misfires and disasters, so I think they're pretty well even on that front.

It's important to keep in mind that these two manufacturers have always maintained drastically different philosophies. I'm on my 5th Benz and I've owned 4 Bimmers, comparing them is really unfair to both. Mercedes produces a very understated product, one which appeals to the subconscious more than to the obvious. The emphasis seems to be on smoothness, comfort, composure with performance being more of a fringe benefit.

BMW, on the other hand, is much more visceral, more, shall I say, Italian somehow. The emphasis is on the immediacy of control responses, suspension feedback, structural feel, etc. It's almost as though they'd rather build you a race car, but they build you a street one, only because they have to.

On a related note, got a chance to try out the new Lamborghini-powered S8. Teutonic feel with an Italian sound (however muffled). Me likes!
Ohh...my lord...tell me about the S8. The car's been my choice ever since it was released if I was to get a luxury saloon on steroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 11:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike
This is, of course, a never-ending debate. It's also an utterly pointless one. If we are to compare reliability/quality, especially over the last 10-15 years, I don't think either company looks so great. They've both had their fair share of engineering misfires and disasters, so I think they're pretty well even on that front.

It's important to keep in mind that these two manufacturers have always maintained drastically different philosophies. I'm on my 5th Benz and I've owned 4 Bimmers, comparing them is really unfair to both. Mercedes produces a very understated product, one which appeals to the subconscious more than to the obvious. The emphasis seems to be on smoothness, comfort, composure with performance being more of a fringe benefit.

BMW, on the other hand, is much more visceral, more, shall I say, Italian somehow. The emphasis is on the immediacy of control responses, suspension feedback, structural feel, etc. It's almost as though they'd rather build you a race car, but they build you a street one, only because they have to.

On a related note, got a chance to try out the new Lamborghini-powered S8. Teutonic feel with an Italian sound (however muffled). Me likes!
Well said, for me the best BMW that truly had the drivers feel are the E30, E36 (M3), E24 M6, E34, E39 M5.

Today's BMW are porky and have that dreaded I-Drive, to my surprise both the 3 Series and 5 are doing pretty well in sales.

97 W210 E420, stock !!
post #53 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 08:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 91 420 SEL
from all the reading and comparisons the BMW's comperable to the mercedes, they are not competition, i find it amazing that mercedes can preform so much better than alot of the BMW

Erik J. L.

91 420 SEL w/a 5.6 V8
89 300 TE Wagon
99 E 320
------------------
previous
95 C 280
93 190 E 2.3
95 E 320
post #54 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 08:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: black/black '09 SL63, '07 SL550, '09 Porsche Carrera Cab, '10 Porsche Cayenne S
I've owned both and both abd built better than most. Both are costly out of warranty to maintain. However, I have noticed that BMW seems to have more little crap like window motors year after year that go out and they don't seem to find a way to make them better. They are a joy to drive, but I think MB is more thoroughly engineered. Think of it this way - how many classic BMWs do you see on the road vs. MB? On the other hand BMW has sense to to leather in most of its models shipped and MB cuts cost by putting MB tex in most lower end models, even the E350 shipped to the US. Just a peeve of mine I guess. They are both great cars catoring to slightly different customers.
post #55 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 03:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2003 C230K Evo
BMW = Sport Luxury
MB = Luxury Sport

Thats what I think, it seems to fit both brands image..
post #56 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 04:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
I prefer MB Tex.
post #57 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 04:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Yeti
BMW = Sport Luxury
MB = Luxury Sport

Thats what I think, it seems to fit both brands image..
That's a good one!! I agree too.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #58 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: SLK 55 AMG
ummm... why are people bringing the Z8 into the discussion? I thought it was common knowledge that BMW f'ed up bad with this car:
Dangerous Curves? BMW Z8 owners reporting cases of chassis warpage - Autoblog
BMW's Z8: Structurally Shaky?

And the Z8 is not the only BMW with dire chassis problems (BMW, Bare Minimum Welds anyone?). The Z3 and a few other models have experienced similar problems with the chassis tearing apart due to poor construction and design.

New car: 2004 SLK 55 AMG, Iridium silver.
Additional: Chrome door lock pins, K&N Performance Filters, Piecha roof control module

Sold: 1998 SLK 230K, Linarite blue.
Brabus: Front spoiler, side skirts, rear apron, exhaust, gear shift + hand brake, 17" Monoblock IV, hubcaps/wheel locks, Aluminium doorlock pins, polished safety roll bars, Brabus logo
Digit-Power: 30bhp + 50nm torque
Additional: Chrome side indicator frames, Chrome SRS badges, CLK grill, Lorinser Wing, Rieger headlight covers
post #59 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 CDI AVANTGARDE 220000 miles, 98 E300TD Estate AVANTGARDE 141000 miles
Send a message via MSN to mr_benz
Mercedes is the best. Mercedes came out with all the technology in the world.
1. In 1936 the first diesel engine.
2. They came with all sorts of traction control. (ASR, ESP, etc.)
3. First car in the world with double glazed windows.
4. First car in the world with air bags and 3 point seatbelts.
5. first car in the world with hydralic suspension (even before citron)
6. first car in the world with air suspension.
All the technology comes from Mercedes. They came out with more than what i have stated, but i forgot most of them.
Also the W140 s-class is known to be the strongest car in the world.
When my father had a BMW, it had quality issues and the head gasket went.
The other BMW's he had, had the same problems. Also a friend brought a V-reg 323i which had 70,000 on the clock. Couple of weeks later the cam sensors went. It they had problems with oxygen sensor. Now it has missfires on the 4th and 6th cylinder. And he says that BMW is better than Mercedes, I don't think so.
Another thing is that 97% of the worlds goverments own a Mercedes S-class

Mercedes is the best

Last edited by mr_benz; 02-27-2007 at 07:34 AM.
post #60 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:47 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_benz
Mercedes is the best. Mercedes came out with all the technology in the world.
1. In 1936 the first diesel engine.
2. They came with all sorts of traction control. (ASR, ESP, etc.)
3. First car in the world with double glazed windows.
4. First car in the world with air bags and 3 point seatbelts.
5. first car in the world with hydralic suspension (even before citron)
6. first car in the world with air suspension.
All the technology comes from Mercedes. They came out with more than what i have stated, but i forgot most of them.
Also the W140 s-class is known to be the strongest car in the world.
When my father had a BMW, it had quality issues and the head gasket went.
The other BMW's he had, had the same problems. Also a friend brought a V-reg 323i which had 70,000 on the clock. Couple of weeks later the cam sensors went. It they had problems with oxygen sensor. Now it has missfires on the 4th and 6th cylinder. And he says that BMW is better than Mercedes, I don't think so.
Another thing is that 97% of the worlds goverments own a Mercedes S-class

Mercedes is the best
I don't think we're talking about history here. We're talking about the present. Your argument is similiar to me stating that the Roman Empire's Government was the best because they invented most of the ideals that we use in our democracy today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in