Buying Benzes with Rebuilt/Salvage titles? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Buying Benzes with Rebuilt/Salvage titles?

On Ebay I see a lot of Benzes with rebuilt or salvage titles. I understand that these do not have MB warranties anymore. Obviously I'd avoid flooded or totalled cars, or cars with major accidents, but there seem to be some cars that were stolen and recovered. If a Benz was stolen, why does it get a rebuilt title? Is it unwise to buy one of these cars?

Gone but not forgotten:
2003 Honda S2000
1999 BMW 540i sport
1995 BMW M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
with older car and expensive parts - fender bender will result in totaling the car.
You can only guess till you find full records.
I used to own 84 Volvo, that was totaled 3 times in its life, regardless served us for 17 years and ended up on junk yard for cosmetic reasons, still running perfectly.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '87 560 SL, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Premium Member
If the insurance company decides that the car can not be restored to good/resellable condition - financially - then the car becomes salvage. Could be a ton of problems: electrical, fire, etc. Is this a good buy? Sometimes, especially if you decide to keep the car forever. The problem comes when you decide to sell it. The value is usually around 50% of wholesale. Your only choice, then, is to sell it to a private party and let them deal with it. For the most part, I would shy away from a high dollar car that is rebuilt/salvage.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncor
If the insurance company decides that the car can not be restored to good/resellable condition - financially - then the car becomes salvage.
In aviation we call that BER - Beyond Economical Repair.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 05:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If the vehicle is "totaled" and the insurance compnay sells it at auction, it goes with a salvage title. I used to work in the "recycling" industry. These cars would get the door pulled back to access power lock, or they would break a window. They would then pull off the steering column and bust the ignition. At the chop area the airbags would get pulled, wheels, tires, radio and if it were a pro job, seats, doors, bonnet, boot lid, and grille. Thiefs don't drive like granny. I have seen cars with dented undersides and leaking trannys. Many unreputable shops would buy these cars then sell them to unsuspecting ebay buyers with newspaper stuffed where the airbag belongs. Cheap aftermarket door skins from the far east and a Maaco $99.00 paint job. Good as new for at least a month. Granted, you may find a good deal, but make sure you thoroughly check the car out.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:55 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2007
Greetings from beautiful Vancouver B.C... I am new here... I am a diesel Land Cruiser guy (please foregive me ) I am looking at purchasing a 1987 300D Turbo w/ 81,000miles for $9,000Cdn. It was purchased by an auto broker here in Vancouver from Las Vegas auction. It looks & drives flawlessly. Everything seems to look & work fine. (Except S/R & LF window stiff & slow to open) Seller swears it is a fantastic deal & all is good... (yeah, like I wanna believe a used car salesman) He is willing to let me do a vehicle inspection. The catch is that it was sold by an isurance co. as "Salvage"
Seller claims that was due to LR fender & control arm damage. I have heard both good & bad things about the newer diesels... Do any of you have any suggestions, coments...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Aren't we going to extremes? Our original ML320 got rear-ended and since the estimates run about $12,000 they paid off the car at $14,000. I bought it back for about $5500 and the only frame damage was rear bumper reinforcement plus front brush guard, that could be straighten up.
So for less than $6000 our son enjoys perfectly running ML, with only some dents on the hatch and hood. Salvage certificate definitely is not giving the justice to very clean car.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
guys, what about this 2005 CL500 sport? theft recovery car. feedback welcomed

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : CL-Class (item 150086982708 end time Feb-06-07 13:15:53 PST)

Gone but not forgotten:
2003 Honda S2000
1999 BMW 540i sport
1995 BMW M3
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Car recovered from theft untouched and now it has salvage title?
Hard to believe, but if you can drive there, that might be excellent opportunity.
Just consider that it is going to be hard to re-sell, unless very cheap.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:27 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
I restored salvage cars for almost 20 years as a hobby. Most of the cars with salvage titles have the potential for becoming real problems. Finance companies won't touch them and most insurance policies will not cover collision or body damage and most new car dealers won't take them as trades. Unless you know and trust the repair people who did the repair and plan on keeping it a long time, its best to stay away.

That said there are good deals out there for those who know the vehicles they are buying well enough to avoid the pitfalls of deals that seem too good to be true. A buddy of mine and I got into a bidding war over a salvaged DeLorean DMC-12 that was a refused repair. He out bid me and got it for $15k. The car was less than a year old at that time and had less than 3k miles on it. A refused repair was a car that had been repaired by the insurance company that the owner refused to accept. It was a theft recovery that had the steering column and ignition lock assy replaced and had only a small scratch in the stainless near the roll down section of the drivers side window. I suspect the real owner realized he had a go fast looking car that was slower than it looked and saw the theft as his chance to unload it.
One other deal I passed on was a recovered 911 Turbo that had been taken off a dealers lot and was new but stripped down to a bare body shell. It was on three pallets and every part was there. The car was being stripped for parts so all of the removed parts were tagged with the correct part number and the wires if any were disconnected. There were no cut cables or hoses anywhere. It was like a major do it yourself kit without the instructions.

If an insurance company has to sell a vehicle they have repurchased from the original owner they almost always sell it as salvage regardless of its condition because they are not in the used car business and will not accept the potential liability of selling it as a used car.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.

Last edited by n5160u; 02-05-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in