LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
nose bra

If you are interested in protecting the paint and chrome on the front of your car, you should click on the link below and look at the Colgan car bra. I just got mine frome this company online. It fits and looks great. It will take about 5-6 weeks to get since they are custom made for our vehicles. It is very inexpensive, easy to install, and A high quality item.

Colgan Car Bras

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '01 E55 AMG
Do not use these on your Mercedes or any other car. It will leave marks at all points where it holds on to the car. I ruined a custom paint job on one of my cars with these %$#& things. Use a clear 3M coating on front only. If you have it already use it for long driving runs only not everyday. Wax where it holds on to car when using it. You will thank me later or repaint your car.

Dawson

2001 E55 Brilliant Silver
www.pedenent.com

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 05:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2007 CLK550, sports suspension, Black Opal on Black with P3 option
They don't seem to update their offerings though. I have a CLK550 and they keep telling me that they don't have one available. Really do want one for long trips.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
All Mercedes Bras are all custom made. I had to wait 5 weeks to get mine. Call them directly and see if it can be ordered. The ommission of the CLK550 may just be an oversight. As for the ruining of paint, I have never had any damage occur to any of my previous vehicles with a car bra on it. This colgan car bra is a far better quality product than what I have used in the past. I already seal the paint every 6 months with a carnuba/teflon mixed wax. I highly recommend the teflon mix. It helps to prevent scratches and ships in the paint whether you use a car bra or not. It all comes down to preference. Do you want to put a big clear sticker on your car or a big black car bra. You can see where my preference lies. You make your own choice. I just wanted to make my fellow Mercedes owners aware of a very high quality product to help protect their cars.

Last edited by stunner67; 02-05-2007 at 06:13 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

I called AutoAnything (the company on the link) and then Colgan. They still insist that they do not have a Bra for the 2007 550's - in particular my CLK550. I asked them if they could just make one and they said "only if they get enough requests".
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I can see that. You have to understand that your car is very new. I'm sure it won't be long before they are available. Maybe we could get other owners to put in requests. They don't even have to own that specific model. We are just trying to get them to make them for you and anyone else who has that model. I will e-mail them and put in a request to get the ball rolling
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Thanks
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
I ordered a Colgan Bra for my 1989 Porsche Speedster and it never fit. I took it back to Colgan and they said there was nothing they could do about it and that is sad because Bill Colgan used my 1959 Porsche 356 to make paterns back in 1970 when he was located behind the Crab Cooker in Newport Beach Ca. I even took them a picture of the car at Bill's tiny little workshop.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
sorry to hear about that. It's the first time I have ever heard of any bad experience with Colgan. I have a few friends back in Chicago(including the owner of my old 300) who have Colgan nose covers on thier cars and they all fit great just like mine did.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Three things about a car bra that you need to know.

First is the abrasion issue. They will wear down your paint, first the clear coat, then the color layer. Just the wind buffeting the vinyl causes little movement and little movement is all it takes.

Second, bras hold moisture. Long term, that is a problem on any paint surface - and particularly the seams, where salt or sand or grit can have caused wear to open the metal. Water on metal = rust.

Third, you will find, ESPECIALLY with a RED car, that the area under the bra will fade slower than the rest of the paint. If you keep it on for 6 months, there will be a color difference, no matter how much you wax on, wax off.

A better, cleaner suggestion would be the new clear tapes that 3M and others make for the nose of cars. They protect paint from rock chips and other crap and blend into the car, nearly invisible. Note that the fade issue, while MUCH less, will still be there.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in