LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Feb 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2002 C320 Heater problem

Hello, I have no heat on the driver's side floor. Since the problem started, on start up, there is a loud "click" that occurs between 3 - 8 times inside of the dash between the steering column and the console. I am told by the dealer that the problem is with the heater flap. It apparently shows up as a fault also in the diagnostics.
I suspect it is jammed closed or the activating linkage is broken or worn.
I want to repair myself. Is it very difficult to remove the lower dash covers to gain access to this door? Are special tools required. Could someone tell me where to find info on removal of these panels?
Car is out of Bumper to bumper warranty since last july. thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2008
I have the same problem and would love the info too on how remove the damn dash...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:58 AM
BenzWorld Member
Vehicle: CLS550 Master Lease, 1990 300zxTT, 2000 camry
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok removing the dash on this is NOT fun to do. But to get to your footwell flap is not too bad. If you look under your steering wheel where the fabric meets the plastic there should be 3 phillips head screws, remove those. then remove the screw from the hood release and take the cable lose from that. There is a plastic rataining screw between the gas and brake pedal that needs to be taken out. You should now be able to pull the panel down a few inches. Disconnect the OBD connector from the plastic panel, and you could possible have 2 or 3 CAN connectors on there than need to be removed(but remember where they came from). Now you should be able to completely remove the panel. This will allow you to see the flap and actuator for you footwell and tell if its jammed or the linkage is damaged.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 04:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
sounds like you guys have a broken linkage arm on the 2/10 left footwell flap stepper motor. Its pretty easy to fix if your not afraid of taking some of your dash apart. first your going to need to remove your center console; open your center console lid and remove the black felt insert at the bottom, then remove the two 10mm bolts. next remove your shifter chrome bezel (just lightly pry it up) and remove the shifter. next you need to open your cupholder and remove the rubber base, then pull the cupholder up carefully (very easy to break) and twist clockwise and remove. next lift the front portion of the shift wood up and slide forward to remove. after you remove the wood you need to push the coin holder (next to the cupholder) towards the back of the car and you will see two more 10mm bolts, remove. next remove the front ashtray by prying the two tabs on either side and unplug the lighter. after the ashtray is removed look for two t20 torx screws under the radio wood and remove. where the ashtray was sitting there are two black covers one on each side that need to be removed to gain access to two t40 torx screws, turn these screws in the same direction a 1/4 of a turn and it will push the center console back. after it is loose from the t40s just slide the console back for room. now look behind where the ashtray was and on either side you will see a chrome clip, use a small screwdriver and unclip by going down. next you will need to remove the center a/c vent, to do so use a small flat head screw driver and a flashlight and find the small tabs on the sides (inside the vent) pry this tab out and swing the vent all the way up. now you can loosen the 2 t20 torx. after you loosen the torxs move the tabs again and swing the vents down. using your flash light look in the vents to the top left and right and you will see a tab on each side, use your screwdriver to push this tab down and remove the vent assembly. after you remove the vent you can remove the wood from the dash, if you dont have access to a sds (star machine) you should leave the a/c pushbutton plugged in but you can unplug the rest. next remove all the torx screws from the dash where the wood once was. after youve removed the screws open the glove box and grab the section of your dash between the radio and glove box and yank it out. next remove the center black section that your radio bolts to. after all that you can see the heater case, right in front there are 4 stepper motors, more than likely its going to be the far left one. If i were you i would replace the linkage arm and the motor while your in there. If you have any Q's feel free to ask
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: