Is it really Mercedes fault? - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
McBear I just did the valves on my 300e at 200k miles. The 1st the engine was touched in 21 years. Is your still original?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyt
Nice McBear. Are you saying then that yor 500e high performance car is the best of ALL world's? Legendary 124 build quality, Porsche suspension and performance and collectability?
I think I would put it as one of the top Benz cars, along with the 560SEL and 560SEC of the same era. All those have top level design, and more important, execution of the design. I like the 500E a bit more since there was a limited number in the US [1504]. There are other marques that have equal, or better cars, as Porsche has shown with the development of the 911. Some of those cars are as close to perfection as I have seen. If I were going to get a 911, however I would chose a 68-73 model, before they became civilized.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #83 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
McBear I just did the valves on my 300e at 200k miles. The 1st the engine was touched in 21 years. Is your still original?
When I got the car it had received no maintanence in nealy 100,000 miles. I replaced the wiring harnesses and a cam sensor plus wires, plugs and rotors. That was at 225,000 miles. From what I can tell the previous owner was a pig. The interior looked as if it had not been cleaned in years, there was dirt everywhere. HOWEVER, compression was dead on, everything that mattered worked [or was made right with the expected tune up].

Just before the trip I noticed an oil drip that was coming from the upper oil pan gasket. Small but there. It blew less than half a quart in 3200 miles. If the lower diaper had been on the car, i would not have even noticed. Because of where the leak is, I will pull the motor next week and fix the problem. While I have it out I will go ahead and put in new seals, gaskets and do a general rebuild of the entire motor, including the heads. It just makes sense as the motor will be out for the first time. No decisions have been made about whether to tune up the motor while we are in there.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #84 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Quality

The fact of the matter is that MB tried to incorporate a lot of technology which it isn't good at. When the cars were simpler they lasted, had low maintenance costs and MB earned a great reputation. Then they tried to keep up, or go ahead of, some serious competition and started to have quality problems. The bean counters took over the organization and the quality went down even further until you reach today's level. Keep in mind that the "taxi cab" is still built the way they used to build them. (Nothing exotic) I've owned many MB and the quality definitely has gone down hill. It also costs MB more hours/sales $ to build than almost any other car. They just can't produce the old quality and remain at a competitive price.

After one gets over the ego trip you realize that the cars are now good but no longer great! Every Lexus sold is at the expense of MB and BMW.
post #85 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Well put -- there is definitely some truth in that.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #86 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Did you know islander2 Mercedes did not advertise until the '90' or so I am told. (or very limited ads) Now spend money telling you there good and before they were just good. I am not sure people wouldn't pay for the old quality. It is hard to say. If they continue down the current path of fighting Consumers Reports etc (shot the messenger) insted of going back to better cars I am unsure where it will end.
post #87 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
McBear the friend of mine who owned the 560sel's (3 of them) also owned a 911 slant nose around late 80's to 1990. He let me drive the 560sel's but not the Porsche. Not sure why he didn't give the keys to (I think almost 200k Can$) Porsche to a young guy? So I can not say about a Porsche never drove a 911. My mechanic in town LOVES them! As soon as you mention Boxer he freaks. You still really haven't said McBear where does the 140 lie?
post #88 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
McBear the friend of mine who owned the 560sel's (3 of them) also owned a 911 slant nose around late 80's to 1990. He let me drive the 560sel's but not the Porsche. Not sure why he didn't give the keys to (I think almost 200k Can$) Porsche to a young guy? So I can not say about a Porsche never drove a 911. My mechanic in town LOVES them! As soon as you mention Boxer he freaks. You still really haven't said McBear where does the 140 lie?
I am not as much of a fan of the 140 cars only because of their added complexity and additional costs associated with repairs. The style is sharp, much like a big 124, and vault solid in ride but that car is at the start of the transition toward more electronics [more complex electronic transmission than previous 126 as an example]. People who I respect have suggested that they are more prone to wear and failure after 100K+ miles however I have no personal experience to validate that either way.

For the big Benz, I have always thought that the only two options were either the 81-91 W126 S Class or the late sixties - early 70's 300SEL. Other designs, to me, don't really make a Benz statement. In saying that, I think the new S Class has a really good design but I don't know how it will fare over time. It drives wonderful and looks the part. I just hate seeing $8000 replacement Comand modules parked in the dash. Under warranty, not so bad. Afterwards, YIKES.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #89 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
McBear the friend who owned all the 126's also had 140's and raved the car. Of course he never owned it out of warranty and money was not an issue anyway. He lost his love of Benz's after the 140 was traded. He said right away when he got the 221 that is was not even close to the level of build of 140. I do think the 126 is going to be a timeless Benz look. I think as time goes by that WILL be the car people think of with classic Benz look. The options for me for next Benz is I think is another 124 or 140. I never thought I was going to collect cars. I seen on here some guys with 9 cars (8 Benz's and a Porsche) and I thought this is nuts. I am now starting to understand what takes over you guys. You want this AND you want that one. They become art or something! As for the S class time will tell but I bet not a big deal down the road. Why when the metal got thin did the cars loose something. Something of substance. There must be something going on with the used market? In my area a good 124 (say clean 400e 1992) is asking more than a 210?
post #90 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
As far as I know the RR is owned by BMW so they're kinda riding around in a German car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in