post #61 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyt
Wikepedia on the 140 I think it all ended for Merc with the end of the 140. An era we may never see again. A quality that all Mercedes had that made them "special".

As with its predecessor, the W140 was the first of the "next generation" of Mercedes-Benz models to feature the company's new design theme.
The W140 introduced new innovations such as double-pane window glazing, self-closing doors and boot lid, electric windows which lowered back down when encountering an obstruction, rear-parking markers which appeared on the rear wings and a heating system which emitted warm air even after the engine was turned off.
For details like this, the W140 is often known as the last Mercedes to be "overengineered," a Mercedes trait that was costing the company in product delays and overbudgeting. For the consumer, the W140 cost a considerable 25% more than its predecessor, the W126.
WOW! Five posts in a row, in a half an hour!! You trying to run up your post count or something?

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Thumbs up McBear's Katrina W124

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Two bits of information on rust and the 124/210 mercedes. First, the 210 has lighter fenders. with thinner metal which means that any rust is going to find its way through to the outside faster than on one of the older cars....
Very impressive McBear!

I'd like to see that Katrina 500E when you're finished with it.

Mm

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #63 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you very much McBear you are confirming what I thought. A Merc is no longer a Merc. Sad but true. I almost feel a sense of urgency to get another. It is funny you mention the 126 560. That was the 1st Benz I drove new. It was breathtaking in quality. The only car I have driven that made the 124 feel well, less than something. The only thing is I am 41 and feel the 126 is too old on a look. I really want the 140 which I know has electronic problems but is the build quality like a 126? It appears so. Rust is huge in Ontario salt all over the roads in winter. I feel I can jump to a 1997-99 Sclass and still have real Benz or else I think I will take your other choice of the 124 either 400 or 500e. 500e are tough to come by in Canada. I may have to go to the U.S.. I am friends with the dealer parts manager and he confirms what you say he recommends the 126 for dirt cheap parts. His fav is also the 400e. He says even better engine than the I6 for realiability. He would buy 400e fast and he doesn't like the bulk of s class. He says s320 or v8 but not 12 cylinder unless you are loaded. But he confirms you thoughts he is my age and been at Mercedes though all the era's. 400e he thinks is big bang for buck.
post #64 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
Very impressive McBear!

I'd like to see that Katrina 500E when you're finished with it.

Mm
When you come to Lex, we can go by the shop. I anticipate being done with the Katrina Project in April or May. Right now we are working on some special additions to the drivetrain that will make it much more interesting. That is one of the fun parts so the boring part of getting the body ready for paint is taking a back seat. Right now it is in either 199Gray or primer, depending on the section.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #65 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Thank you very much McBear you are confirming what I thought. A Merc is no longer a Merc. Sad but true. I almost feel a sense of urgency to get another. It is funny you mention the 126 560. That was the 1st Benz I drove new. It was breathtaking in quality. The only car I have driven that made the 124 feel well, less than something. The only thing is I am 41 and feel the 126 is too old on a look. I really want the 140 which I know has electronic problems but is the build quality like a 126? It appears so. Rust is huge in Ontario salt all over the roads in winter. I feel I can jump to a 1997-99 Sclass and still have real Benz or else I think I will take your other choice of the 124 either 400 or 500e. 500e are tough to come by in Canada. I may have to go to the U.S.. I am friends with the dealer parts manager and he confirms what you say he recommends the 126 for dirt cheap parts. His fav is also the 400e. He says even better engine than the I6 for realiability. He would buy 400e fast and he doesn't like the bulk of s class. He says s320 or v8 but not 12 cylinder unless you are loaded. But he confirms you thoughts he is my age and been at Mercedes though all the era's. 400e he thinks is big bang for buck.
Post # 34! You go boy!!

post #66 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
When you come to Lex, we can go by the shop. I anticipate being done with the Katrina Project in April or May. Right now we are working on some special additions to the drivetrain that will make it much more interesting. That is one of the fun parts so the boring part of getting the body ready for paint is taking a back seat. Right now it is in either 199Gray or primer, depending on the section.
Hey bear, please post some pics of that and your Daytona project and trip!

post #67 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:

Don't think of the 126 as too old of a look, it just matters how you make it look. Here is my 500E on the right [with 234,000 miles] during a 3200 mile test run to the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona and another Benzworld member's W126 on the left.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #68 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Don't think of the 126 as too old of a look, it just matters how you make it look. Here is my 500E on the right [with 234,000 miles] during a 3200 mile test run to the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona and another Benzworld member's W126 on the left.
Who died when you hit them w/ that left grill-bar? Good looking car though...

post #69 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 05:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Who died when you hit them w/ that left grill-bar? Good looking car though...
I believe it was a starling or crow [black and not quick enough]. It took out one of the bars and cracked the grill. It also took out the aux fans as puree'ed bird stopped one of the fans and blew out the relay. Not a problem until I got into Super Bowl traffic.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #70 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I believe it was a starling or crow [black and not quick enough]. It took out one of the bars and cracked the grill. It also took out the aux fans as puree'ed bird stopped one of the fans and blew out the relay. Not a problem until I got into Super Bowl traffic.
I just hope it wasn't a Jayhawk!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in