post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 07:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee
As a pilot I would think flyboy would share my attitude that some people really do have a higher level of situational awareness and just pure ability than perhaps the folks for whom the speed limits were designed.
In other words, it's OK to do something just because you can? And how do you know how good his situational awareness is?

Quote:
If he were weaving in and out of traffic risking another motorist not seeing him and getting clipped I'd be with you but he wasn't.
I see. So, let's wait 'til he does clip somebody and then you'll be with me. Good to know.

Quote:
He waited for clear highway and pushed the car to about 65% of its potential; conservative by any stretch of the imagination.
No, sorry. 130 on the freeway is not conservative. This is not a function of what the car can do, this is a function of the overall road situation, of which our friend is allegedly so extremely aware.

Quote:
I'm 31 and an F-18 pilot in the Marine Corps.
At least you don't claim to be an astronaut. Thank you for that.

Quote:
Oh and I think you did come off strong in your first post flyboy and I haven't lead a sheltered life at all. You were a cock with a condescending tone and a fatherly BS attitude that no one asked for.
Too bad.

P. S. What squadron did you say you were with? Or is yours the only Hornet unit that's classified "Top Secret"?

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 07:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: The ML 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Oatie44
smooth brotha...when you got a s65 you gotta do what cha gotta do. keep it up love2skiutah
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 12:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike

No, sorry. 130 on the freeway is not conservative. This is not a function of what the car can do, this is a function of the overall road situation, of which our friend is allegedly so extremely aware.
Man, you really have bad day in this topic. Look at the video one more time. Whole situation lasted 3 seconds. Trust me, I was driving US freeways on cruise controls at speed only slightly lower, because of lower governor setting on my cheaper models.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 03:53 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well thanks for the reply at least. I suppose being acknowledged is something I should appreciate considering how new I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike
In other words, it's OK to do something just because you can? And how do you know how good his situational awareness is?
I don't know what his SA is, nor do I care. I would bet it's lower than mine just like your's is but that's because I'm a single seat fighter pilot. I'd think you guys would want it that way. 10 hours in a bombardier doesn't amount to even 1 tactical hour in my airplane and surely you'll agree. I assert that it's for him to decide though, what his level of awareness is, and it'll be his responsibility when he's wrong, not your's. It's no more your responsibility than it is your business.

Quote:
I see. So, let's wait 'til he does clip somebody and then you'll be with me. Good to know.
this is either taken out of context on purpose or you didn't read it carefully. If he wrecks I'll laugh at him like I would laugh at a guy who wrecks a ferrari or anything else in that funny Brad Paisley song. The point is people die in the thousands on our "safe if slow" highways every year. How often is it because of a guy testing out his badass ride? In my opinion his hightened state of awareness that surely existed during this run if for no reason other than a little adrenalin probably made him the safest driver on the road. Go complain to people who post about stretching a day out to 14 hours on the road to make it home without having to pay for a hotel. They're about as useful as a drunk behind the wheel in the last hours of their trip but by God they're getting home. That kind of complacency goes unchecked in this country but man if you speed you're the Devil. Get real and think for once about what is really dangerous in a car before you crush a guy for getting his rocks off.

Quote:
come on man you're starting to sound like an old man. I remember driving the entire way from Kingsville, Tx to Corpus Christy and never getting below 100mph except to start and end the trip. Averaged 110mph and covered the trip in 30 minutes, and probably spent a good 10 minutes on one wheel over 100mph. That was on a GSXR-1100 though.

Quote:
At least you don't claim to be an astronaut. Thank you for that.
lol, I don't know whether to be flattered that my job is so awesome you can't even believe I have it, or offended that you've questioned my integrity and you don't even know me. I suppose I'd have to value your opinion to do the latter so I'll take it as an indirect compliment and move on. My name is Capt Harry L Fowler though, and I'm the quality assurance officer in VMFA-115. That's Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 115, the mighty "Silver Eagles." Our ready room phone number is 843 228 7647. Feel free to call it and pretend you had a wrong number. The duty will say "VMFA 115 ready room Lance Corporal So and So speaking may I help you sir or mame?" Because that's what his phone watch binder tells him to say. Or you could call the MAG31 headquarters building at 7308 and have them transfer you to 115. Then please feel free to check out our Ebay store, which I maintain, at eBay Store - Silver Eagle 12's dump: Vintage RC, Patches, Coins

I can't believe I kowtowed to this joker to try to "prove" I fly hornets. You did motivate me to update my avatar picture though so thanks. Oh and no that's not actually me flying. I couldn't be bothered with shrinking a pic so I snagged it from airwarriors.com where my login ID is also, chiplee.

Quote:
Too bad.
indeed

Quote:
P. S. What squadron did you say you were with? Or is yours the only Hornet unit that's classified "Top Secret"?
unbelievable! Again, I find that strangly flattering. I bet you're a crusty old retired dude that misses having an ounce of authority so you skip around the web from forum to forum trying to bestow wisdom and good sense on the young and uninitiated. I'm just trying to point out that your post was presumptuous and condescending. Wait 'til someone brags about driving drunk to bash, then I'll be right there with you. Doing a little racing in a race car is nothing to flip out about, even on the street. It seems you're a victim of the standard US "perceived danger syndrome" (a title I just made up). To clarify, ask yourself who you'd rather allow your child to visit, a family friend who you know keeps a loaded pistol or a family friend with a swimming pool. The simple statistical truth is that your child is about 100 times more likely to die in the pool than be shot by the pistol on each respective visit, but "surveys show" the average american wouldn't think twice about little johnny going over to the Adams family pool party, but they'd not allow their child to even visit a family that keeps a loaded gun in the house. Don't be an average american man. Read a little or something. I suggest "Freakonomics" by Steve Levitt and Steve Dubner, that's where I got that example. You're probably a good guy, and I know you think you're standing on principle or standing up for what you feel is right, which is honorable in and of itself. But you lack the perspective and sensibility to pass such judgements my friend, no matter how old you are you've succumbed to the societal influence that keeps the average man down. There's still time for you though. The force is strong with this one, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by chiplee; 01-27-2007 at 04:48 AM.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 07:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

I bet you're a crusty old retired dude...
When you get a chance, check out my profile pic. Yes, that's me.

Quote:
Don't be an average american man.
I'm pretty sure this is the first time in my life I've been labelled "average".

Quote:
Read a little or something.
Don't even go there, Captain. I'll bet both of my airman cerificates that I've read more than you and in more languages. Your pathetic grammar skills are a testament to that. Oh, and in case you haven't checked my profile, we're the exact same age.

Quote:
But you lack the perspective and sensibility to pass such judgements my friend, no matter how old you are you've succumbed to the societal influence that keeps the average man down.
God, I hope you fly and shoot better than you analyze, 'cause you're way off base on this one, Marine.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
OK, sorry folks. Time to move along.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in