post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: SL550 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Nav DVDs?

Anyone know when the next navifations DVDs will be out for the SL? I just bought a new '07 550SL and the navigation system doesn't know half the streets in my neighbourhood and even less about restaurants etc. We got my wife a Garmin C330 2 years ago and it has all the streets and restaurants on it. You can buy these now for $300 so I would think the nav system in a $100k+ car should be able to compete. I also can't figure out why the MB system can't take an exact number like the C330? It just gives you a range of numbers and you still have to figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 10:03 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1992 500SEL
Send a message via AIM to bdazsemir
Hehe im located in chandler too and my father has had a 07 sl550 for a while now and his navigation works fine it displays all restaruants and other things that it should hes had no problems with it
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Consider yourself lucky that your father has the DVD system. My CD system is a nightmare to operate, and from what I have read, the DVD is a vast improvement.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 05:34 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
The USA C Class uses an Alpine unit instead of the Becker found in the higher line cars and it had less detail on its maps in spite of using a DVD9 dual layer disk with a database larger than 6 Gb while the Becker in my E Class which uses a single sided disk with a 2.7 Gb database displays far more detail. These are all the latest 06 map disks as well.

The thing that really makes me wonder about all of this is the map GIS data is all supplied by NAVTEK regardless of which brand of nav you have. Since Alpine makes the nav gear for Honda as well, I tried the 2003 database disk that came with my Honda van in my C Class and found the old maps from the Honda were far more detailed than the newer maps in the Benz. They use a different file structure for the recorded voice prompts so the Honda maps won't allow the voice promps to work in the Benz which ended my current plans for using the Honda maps in my Benz until I can find a way to hack the Honda database onto a Benz formatted disk.

The first pic is the C Class with the 2006 Benz map. The second pic is the C Class with the 2003 Honda map. I will post pictures of the 2006 map in the E Class later along with a pic of a Magellan Roadmate 700 in the same area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz Map.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	114139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda Map.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	114140  

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 08:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5160u
I tried the 2003 database disk that came with my Honda van in my C Class
That was an interesting experiment. I never would have thought you could get anything useful from a nav disk from another car brand.

The MB disks I've seen have been encrypted. Perhaps the encryption is the same for both cars. Should still make hacking the voice data etc. quite difficult. The BMW system seems more open, I've seen a guide even for adding your own POI data.

Keep us informed if you succeed in the Honda NAV disk project.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Question Becker, Blaupunkt & Bosch

Blaupunkt (apparently now owned by Bosch) and Bosch are involved in this NAV situation too. Does anyone know the relationship, if any, between Becker, Blaupunkt and Bosch? I think they are all still German companies, but I know nothing more (other than there are Blaupunkt NAV CDs that I've seen on eBay and I think the sellers said they will work in the Bosch NAV units (??)

Thanks in advance,
M

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 01-26-2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: adding title
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 09:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: MBs
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's a google earth supplied picture with overlayed map of this spot.

One can see that the Honda map is not correct.
Attached Images

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 02:48 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Here's a google earth supplied picture with overlayed map of this spot.

One can see that the Honda map is not correct.
The 2003 Honda map and the Benz map are the same except the street names are missing on the Benz map. The missing detail areas on the maps showing additional roads that are on the Google maps are common to both databases and are small streets that have been there long before the GIS database for the Honda was compiled back in 2002. What is worth noting is that the 2006 Benz map still uses the same GIS data from 2002. I am up and down those streets about three times a week looking after a disabled client so I can say for sure that what is on the map is accurate. Its whats missing that bothers me. The latest revision to the Honda map disks that I have is a 2006 update that now has every small road including rural and farm roads in the USA that are totally missing from the Benz maps.

I have never put a Honda map with a revision date newer than the build date for my Benz Command in the Benz because I don't want to take a chance on the newer disk triggering a firmware update in my Command with the Honda database because unlike the Command, the Honda disk updates the Honda firmware with each newer map disk so you can't go back to using an older disk.

The CD based Navi's on the older Benz models use Travel Pilot DX formatted disks. In Europe you used to be able to get disks under the TeleAtlas brand that would work across car or hardware brands in any system that used the Travel Pilot DX data format. When I installed the OEM navigation system in my 2000 VW Jetta there were no map disks that you could buy to get it to work in the USA since VW never sold any car in North America with a CD based nav system and therefore never needed to supply any maps. I usually use a set of Audi North American disks for the maps because the Benz maps were almost double the price and used the multibrand start up files from a TeleAtlas map of Italy to make the hybrid disks that I use in my VW. The last two times I have upgraded my maps for the VW have been time consuming since the newer Audi disks employ at least two different types of anti copy encription that I need to get past just to copy the data.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 03:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

I asked my dealer some time ago and as I recall, he said that they do a refresh every February.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: MBs
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5160u
The 2003 Honda map and the Benz map are the same except the street names are missing on the Benz map.
Have a closer look at those two maps and you see the discrepancies. Three obvious ones are the length of Carmel Ct which is too long on the Honda map, the length and position of June Marie Ct which is also too long, and the length of Weir Drive which is too short. I used to have similar problems in my neighborhood and many NAV systems barfed at it and fall out of map matching and go offroad when encountering mismatches like those seen on the Honda map, although I was driving on well known paved roads. The newer maps fixed most of the problems for me.

The Mercedes map shown in your picture agrees well with the map overlayed on google earth, and that's no suprise since both are supplied by Navteq.

I also found fewer street names on the newer Mercedes maps. My guess is that was done to improve the map panning speed while driving. If I want to know the name of a particular street I just click on it and it then displays the name on the screen.

Interesting that you also have a TravelPilot installation. I have a retrofit in a S-Class. Instead of using MB supplied CDs one can also buy them from Bosch/Blaupunkt. Continental Imports in Florida sells them for example.

Blaupunkt Navigation Map Disks from Continental Imports

Last edited by Wolfgang; 01-26-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in