Mechanical help on a '93 300E Benz please! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mechanical help on a '93 300E Benz please!

Hi all, I'm new in the forum and just bought my first Benz. It's a 1993 300E. When I turned on my windshield wiper, it does not move. I can hear the motor running, and can move the arm back and forth across the windshield by hand. I was told there was a nut inside that has come loose, and needs to be tightened. Can anyone tell me how to open the metal shell covering on the outside of the windshield where the nut is located? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 07:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Megan, I can't say whether the 1988 300E works the same as my 2002 CLK, but here is how my cover is removed:

I loosened the lower cover by spreading the two release tabs. The red arrows point to the tabs. However, on a CLK, the lower cover cannot be removed with the wiper arm in place, and the lower cover need only be tilted to lube the mechanism. There is no "nut" to get loose on mine - the second photo shows what it looks like under the cover on a CLK.

BTW on a CLK (and I believe a W210 E-class), the mechanism has to be lubed or it will eventually run dry, start to run slow, start to hesistate in certain places, and then the motor will burn out. It's another one of those services the dealer does, that are listed in the WIS, but everyone ignores when they do the maintenance themselves or farm maintenance out to Joes Taco Bar and Mercedes Repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image339.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	113902   Click image for larger version

Name:	image344.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	113903  
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: