MERCEDES BENZ DEALERS not giving LOANERS ANYMORE ? THIS IS REDICULOUS ? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 78s 240D&300D (w123s)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Morpheus
Hmmm, everytime my mother brings her 1990 MB 300E for service at the dealer, she is always given a toyota corolla or a camry for a loaners car! Though I believe they've stop doing that, but it doesn't matter to her because she has another car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Arrow GermanStar re: Service Dept.

I asked this owner about the service issue that a few of were discussing earlier too. He said his service department represents about 25% of their total yearly revenue, but that they do not survive solely because of it. They also sell Land Rover, Jaguar and Volvo by the way.

He thinks they are paid well enough by the manufacturers for warranty work, but that performing service is a costly proposition for them. He used his 3 alignment machines as an example. Plus they have about 20 valet drivers to pick up and deliver cars over a 100 mile radius. They own a few C-class as loaners but they don't have enough so have to pay Enterprise for some others. Then there are salaries and benefits for the technicians and other ancillary personnel.

When they sell a new car, and if they sell it for sticker price, they only make about 6% net profit. He was quick to point out that 6% of a $100,000 car is $6000 compared with about $300 per service invoice, BUT that they net about $70 of the $94 per hour labor charges (not too shabby).

We didn't get into the mark-up on parts, but it still sounds like having a service department is pretty lucative for them.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 01-23-2007 at 07:08 PM.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Angry Trouble maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
This guy is a trouble maker at MBWorld. I'd take his word with a grain of salt...no, make that a truck load.
I'll stick my neck out and label him as a trouble maker here too. He started this same thread on 2 of the forums. Oh, and I'll refrain from criticizing his spelling, but just this once. The next time, I'll really drop the hammer on him.

Last edited by Musikmann; 01-23-2007 at 07:15 PM.
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2002 E320 sports limitted edition
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder if it is up to the individual dealership to determine the loaner car situation? I take my car to a dealer on my way to work and I didn't buy it there but now I have my car only serviced there. I always get a C class loaner if I get there early in the morning before they run out. When I first got a loaner I gave them a credit card and copy of my insurance card, drivers license. It is all on file now so all I do when I get a loaner is show my DL. A friend of mine took his car to a dealer near his work to have his car serviced and he got a loaner car though he didn't buy his car there (older MB) it wasn't a C class but still a loaner from Enterprise next door. He would have received a C class if he bought his car there however. Regardless, he was still thankful for the loaner. The dealership I go to also has a shuttle service in case they run out of loaners. I have a very nice relationship with my SA and never cop attitude. I know the dealer is more expensive then the indy I used to take my car to but the service is excellent and convenient so I will pay for that. I also like that when I get my car serviced at the dealer it is all on record. If I decide to get a new MB that is where I will buy my car.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Good couple of points you made Debbi. I think in the car business, service is almost everything, and my dealer treats me very well. Like you, although it might not be a new one for me, I'll definitely buy my next Benz from those guys. They have shown me respect, and have therefore earned mine.

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I hang with the General Manager of the local Benz dealer and we were talking about a related subject. He told me just weeks ago that MBUSA was pushing him to BUY cars to use as loaners [mainly in an effort to turn more numbers]. To that end MBCC floats C and E Class cars for dealers for that very purpose. It is my understanding that this was being pushed on all the dealers. The local GM did have a paddock full of loaners, all marked as such on the rear windows as such.

In the past, the dealer has either provided something off the used lot or an Enterprise rental [if it was to be for several days]. Now, it appears that the cars of choice are 06 C and E Class. I also saw a couple of MLs logoed up.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbibaron
I wonder if it is up to the individual dealership to determine the loaner car situation? I take my car to a dealer on my way to work and I didn't buy it there but now I have my car only serviced there. I always get a C class loaner if I get there early in the morning before they run out. When I first got a loaner I gave them a credit card and copy of my insurance card, drivers license. It is all on file now so all I do when I get a loaner is show my DL. A friend of mine took his car to a dealer near his work to have his car serviced and he got a loaner car though he didn't buy his car there (older MB) it wasn't a C class but still a loaner from Enterprise next door. He would have received a C class if he bought his car there however. Regardless, he was still thankful for the loaner. The dealership I go to also has a shuttle service in case they run out of loaners. I have a very nice relationship with my SA and never cop attitude. I know the dealer is more expensive then the indy I used to take my car to but the service is excellent and convenient so I will pay for that. I also like that when I get my car serviced at the dealer it is all on record. If I decide to get a new MB that is where I will buy my car.
The loaner car situation is all up to the dealer. I read somewhere that the dealers are required to offer some sort of transportation be it a "shuttle" or a loaner. I'm not sure if it's required by law, by the company, or if it's even true.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2002 E320 sports limitted edition
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I hang with the General Manager of the local Benz dealer and we were talking about a related subject. He told me just weeks ago that MBUSA was pushing him to BUY cars to use as loaners [mainly in an effort to turn more numbers]. To that end MBCC floats C and E Class cars for dealers for that very purpose. It is my understanding that this was being pushed on all the dealers. The local GM did have a paddock full of loaners, all marked as such on the rear windows as such.

In the past, the dealer has either provided something off the used lot or an Enterprise rental [if it was to be for several days]. Now, it appears that the cars of choice are 06 C and E Class. I also saw a couple of MLs logoed up.

Maybe they give E class to those who have the S class or other higher end car owners but I haven't seen any E loaners on the lot. They also do offer C class station wagons and ML's (forgot about those). The little C's are always well maintained and pretty new with low miles on them. All I can say is that because of my great service at the MB dealer that is the only place I will buy my next Benz at. My SA also put in my files that I am to get the same special price on brakes and rotors when I take my car in. The special runs out the end of the month and my sensor hasn't yet come on but at my tranny service in December it was noted that I had 15 percent left on my front brakes. My car also has a service A coming up but not for another 1200 miles so I will do it all at once. I will definitely be spending some money when I take her in so any discount they give me is appreciated. I will probably also have them do a complete detail which is $175 but I trust they will know not to have liquids around my center console which locks up your gear box if dropped!

Last edited by debbibaron; 01-23-2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Question Are loaners compulsary

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
The loaner car situation is all up to the dealer. I read somewhere that the dealers are required to offer some sort of transportation be it a "shuttle" or a loaner. I'm not sure if it's required by law, by the company, or if it's even true.
I don't know for sure about Mercedes either AML, but I'll bet money the ultimate decision is left up to the individual dealer.

post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Question Kentucky dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I hang with the General Manager of the local Benz dealer...
McBear,

Since you know that guy well, will you please ask him why they have a problem making a used Benz a CPO? The lack of those sure seems to be their company policy, but the GM I know at Tafel told me MBUSA "encourages" them to CPO anything that qualifies.

I look at the MBUSA Pre-Owned search feature a couple times a week (200 or 500 mile radius) and I have yet to see your dealer offer anything CPO. If any of their used ones have new car warranty remaining, they always point that out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in