LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 10:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander1
Many thanks for the great advice. If I buy one of the cars, I'll sure be visiting here regularly. The thoroughness and speed of your responses are pretty impressive.

What's replacing the C-class in 2008? Is it still the C-class, but just redesigned? How much more do you think I could get off the price? The cars are all CPO, by the way. Does Starmark add something more than CPO? Any additional thoughts appreciated.
The new C-Class redesign was just unveiled last night, but I've heard and have been told production won't start until 3-4 months. That or they won't be selling until then.

I'm not sure if it will impact W203 prices yet.

The new C-Class pics are here.
eMercedesBenz - The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz Weblog

Anyhow, I think you're okay with it being CPO. Just throwing a word of caution out there.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Lightbulb Starmark & CPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander1
...Does Starmark add something more than CPO? Any additional thoughts appreciated.
Starmark is just another name for a Mercedes factory-based warranty. I don't know if it only applies to the pre-owned cars, but I think that is the only time I've seen the term used. I think it does refer to any of the "extended" warranties, even if we extend the new car ones.

For example, at any time during the new car warranty, you can extend it by a certain number of years (it used to be as many as 3), and up to 100,000 miles. If you plan to do that though, do it early because it gets more expensive year by year.

However, in your case by it being a CPO with some remaining new car warranty, I think you will get an addtional year, and up to 100,000 miles (which ever comes first of course). If my math is correct then, that is ~4 years/100,000.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 01-19-2007 at 03:58 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta
I have never abused any of the C class MBs that I have had, and most of the people that i see in the dealership that get them dont look the abusive type (mostly older business folks). Plus its not like you can over rev the engine with an Auto. If these cars are certified then why not. Make sure you test drive the one you like extensively before you purchase. Also, i think you could get a slightly better deal on these given that the C class model is coming to a close
I agree on both counts: 1) I have never abused a C280 loaner and all of the people I see taking them out and bringing them back are senior citizens w/ much nicer/more powerful cars than that little ole C-class. 2) If they are MB certified and are willing to negotiate a little on the price, because these cars are now out of date, I'd go for it!

Don't believe everything you think
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 11:28 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2006 ML350
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yes, the new C class will be available this summer 2007. It will be a complete redesign. If the vehicles are certified then you are in good shape

2006 ML350 Pewter/Ash, Trim Pkg, Sunroof Pkg, Entertainment Pkg, NAV, Heated Seats

2012 BMW F10 528i
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
As long as it is warranted, you ought to be all right.

I bought a dealer loaner Ford Crown Vic in 1988 with 21k and it was the best car I have ever owned.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't listen to Animals. He only dreams about driving dealer loaners. I too have only seen responsible people driving the loaner cars. They are dealer serviced and come with a warranty. How can you go wrong?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2007
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Many thanks again for all the great help, and thanks also to two of you for the PMs regarding dealer service.

I'm going to the dealer this weekend. The salesman left me two messages, so he seems eager to make a sale.

They also seem to have a huge inventory of NEW 2006 C280 4Matics and I see MB is giving dealers $3K cash incentive on each. I wonder if they really have that many cars in stock, if they're overstocked with AWDs due to the warm winter here, or if they just don't update their inventory frequently. I may spring for a new one instead of the loaner if they're willing to deal We'll see.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You touched on a point that I meant to mention earlier re: do we think they are willing to discount those any further?

That depends on a number of factors, but I think the most important of which is how many people have expressed interest in those cars? You know, the old Economics 101 supply and demand law.

They have "dropped their pants" about 25% right off the bat, and as MarcusF pointed out, that's a good deal, but that doesn't mean you can do no better. I think your best bet in that regard is to negotiate things that don't come out of their pocket immediately, like an extra year's warranty.

The point you made about the mild winter and perhaps having a few too many 4-matics is a good one too. There again, supply and demand comes into play.

In any case, good luck this weekend and please let us know!

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 01-19-2007 at 06:19 PM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 06:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch207
Don't listen to Animals. He only dreams about driving dealer loaners. I too have only seen responsible people driving the loaner cars. They are dealer serviced and come with a warranty. How can you go wrong?
Our dealer is totally different then. Of course on those icy days...RWD + ice = no good. A large majority of the MB owners where I live have kids a few years older than me that love to go joyriding. There are Bronco's that always like to go "mudding" at a newer subdivision construction site within yards of our property, and you can always here them doing burnouts and races at the highway nearby. Maybe I should take a vid and show you how annoying it gets!!

Anyway, good luck on your future purchase longislander. As for the 4Matic, you can't go wrong with those. Would make a perfect daily driver regardless of weather conditions.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 07:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
IMHO Mercedes can take beating and negligence.
As long as everything is fixed.
I bough used Ford pickup, that was used by one of the government company. Those people don't give much S**t about the equipment, yet at almost 200,000 miles the pickup runs perfect and looks good. Had to clean lot of bread crumbs and coffee stains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in