Mercedes, behind the curve? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 11:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A drum with a shoe is the best "parking brake" design available. The more the wheel attempts to turn, the more pressure the shoe puts against the drum. A cable actuated caliper will work, but not as well. The cost for the better design is weight and complexity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 11:26 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
A drum with a shoe is the best "parking brake" design available. The more the wheel attempts to turn, the more pressure the shoe puts against the drum. A cable actuated caliper will work, but not as well. The cost for the better design is weight and complexity.
It's only best if your goal is the security of the parking brake. I use the parking brake very little, so lowering unsprung weight would be a bigger concern, especially in a performance car. I have no idea what my W210 has and it doesn't matter that much for my application, but I would think on an SLK you would want to reduce unsprung weight at all cost.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cup holders. Nice one. Europeans have to pay extra to get cup holders, if I recall correctly.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 11:49 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1993 W201 190E 1.8i
No, we just pull over and take some time out to actually enjoy coffee...

'93 W201 Euro 1.8568 Signalrot • 16x8J Evolutions
W201 ROTM February 2007

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 12:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Evoluzione
No, we just pull over and take some time out to actually enjoy coffee...
Wait, wait, wait... you mean you Europeans sometimes GET OUT OF YOUR CARS? Things sure are different on the other side of the pond.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 12:28 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 1993 W201 190E 1.8i
ha ha ha!
there's a rather serious discussion about kawfee over in OT at present, getting
a bit raucous tbh!

Only joking about the cup-holders, i've been known to take the odd Cappuccino into the 190. Moves away in 2nd gear, so in stop-go traffic you can just sit it on the centre console carpet and not spill a drop!

'93 W201 Euro 1.8568 Signalrot • 16x8J Evolutions
W201 ROTM February 2007

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: '13 E350
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cup holders, hmmmm...
There are NO cups allowed in my Mercedes....
And as far as the I-pod thing is concerned, not a big deal to me, at all.
I give my driving 100% of my attention. And i enjoy it.
T.

Today will be tomorrows history, make it count.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deangl450
I've noticed over the years that Mercedes seems to lag other car companies in the development of convienience features or certain design elements. Specifically: 1. Originally, Merc was way behind Japanese and American companies with the cupholder thing, finally has improved. 2. I-pod integration and Nav systems were delayed and seem to be technologically a little behind other companies. (of course recently improved, but still....). 3. Moving window controls from center console to door. 4. When in "auto" setting the lights do not come on during the day time if you turn on windshield wipers (Cadillac has this feature as some states require lights on when raining). 5. Waited a long time to jump into the SUV bandwagon. Just wondered why this is the way Merc tends to be so slow with these things? I do notice they do not shy away from more rapid introduction of more inovative engines and safety features; they do that well.
The only thing "behind the curve" is your thinking! I don't know where to begin so will leave it there.

Don't believe everything you think
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
To clarify, point by point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deangl450
I've noticed over the years that Mercedes seems to lag other car companies in the development of convienience features or certain design elements. Specifically: 1. Originally, Merc was way behind Japanese and American companies with the cupholder thing, finally has improved. 2. I-pod integration and Nav systems were delayed and seem to be technologically a little behind other companies. (of course recently improved, but still....). 3. Moving window controls from center console to door. 4. When in "auto" setting the lights do not come on during the day time if you turn on windshield wipers (Cadillac has this feature as some states require lights on when raining). 5. Waited a long time to jump into the SUV bandwagon. Just wondered why this is the way Merc tends to be so slow with these things? I do notice they do not shy away from more rapid introduction of more inovative engines and safety features; they do that well.
The Mercedes design philosophy (used to be) that their cars were built for safe, comfortable long distance high speed driving, which means this meant both hands on the steering wheel (oversized for long idstance driver comfort and ability to use arm rests, and for dash instrument visibility)

This meant:

1. No cupholders, (drinking beverages not contemplated while driving)

2. Ipod, navigation, video games "Distracto" are for entertainment, and distraction, and interfere with concentration if you have to take your eyes or ears off the job of high speed driving, they are inappropriate for a serious car
at triple digit sustained speeds like the autobahn

3. Window controls on the center console is a serious safety measure, it was done for safety reasons, it meant that they could be still operable after a serious crash, not necessarily so when on the doors...

4. The wipers and lights are separate and distinct functions, and DRLs were not mandated till some years ago

5. The Mercedes Gelenderwagens (G wagens) have been around since long before the SUV craze of the early 1980's. They are a capable SUV by any reasonable measure, and overkill in some respects..

I don't think some of the "modern" Mercedes contribute to the traditional Mercedes philosophy, they are a response to the perceived market demands. Certainly the Mercedes Benz cupholders are a response to the clamoring of the American market, some American minivans have up to 17 cupholders in them, and cupholders were the most requested accessory for cars by American buyers....
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnair
It's only best if your goal is the security of the parking brake. I use the parking brake very little, so lowering unsprung weight would be a bigger concern, especially in a performance car. I have no idea what my W210 has and it doesn't matter that much for my application, but I would think on an SLK you would want to reduce unsprung weight at all cost.
Your 210 uses a drum for the parking brake.

It would appear that Mercedes-Benz is in disagreement with your position regarding the reduction of unsprung weight at all costs. For the SLK, they prefer the safety of the best parking brake design possible. Lets look at another car company that used to ONLY build sports cars; Porsche. The 1973 911S is considered by many to a "pure" sports car. Like the SLK, it had four wheel discs, but guess what it has for a parking brake? Drum. Ditto for the 74 through 77 replacement, the 911SC, Carrera, Carrera 2, 964, and 993. I understand your point, but I've also had to park a car in San Francisco and would prefer that the parking brake actually hold the car.

Different things are important to different people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in