BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk20 View Post
GALVANISING OF MERCEDES CARS.
I hope members find this helpful.
Do you have updated information for newer models, say for 2008 M Class and 2008 C Class? Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY2008ML350 View Post
Do you have updated information for newer models, say for 2008 M Class and 2008 C Class? Much appreciated.
God, I hope so, after going on the MBowners forum and reading the littany of 98-2003 rust problems. I notice that MB don't say anything in their brochure or website or handbook. It never occurred to me that the car wasn't galvanized when I bought it. (my 97 pontiracket was and is still rust free)

Anyone know for sure, and if so why is the warranty so short.

K
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2004 E 320 T CDI
My question is if it`s possible to find out if my car is galvanized. Is it some code i can look for? I do have a 2004 E320 CDI with nano-paint, which is symbolized whit an "C" in the paint-code. I guess there is some way to find out if my car is galvanized, I just don`t know how.

Anybody??

------------------
Norseman
2004 E 320 T CDI Avantgarde
- fully loaded whit "extras" ;-)

"the man that have most gadgets when he dies, win"
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorsemanE320CDI View Post
My question is if it`s possible to find out if my car is galvanized. Is it some code i can look for? I do have a 2004 E320 CDI with nano-paint, which is symbolized whit an "C" in the paint-code. I guess there is some way to find out if my car is galvanized, I just don`t know how.

Anybody??
The answer to your query and others on recent cars is in the original posting in that all cars produced from beginning 2003 onwards are fully galvanised (all steel panels but obviously not the aluminium panels or plastic bumpers etc). In the UK they now give a 30 year rust warranty.

Even the A class is fully galvanised on all steel panels.
Attached Images

Hawk20
ML350cdi Sport
E220cdi Estate Avantgarde (sold)
S class 320 cdi 2005 (sold)
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Anybody who knows the story of Viano (W639)?

I think production started in 2003 (mine's from 2004).
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 01:07 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2009
I am also dealing the MB Canada regarding the corrosion on my 2002 c230. I am curious why nobody has attempted/started a class-action lawsuit against Mercedes-Benz in Canada or other markets due to this alleged manufacturing flaw. I realize much of what we read on the forums comes from unofficial sources, however the only way to get to the bottom of this might be through the discovery process via the courts. If the court action is certified by the courts official company records can be requested via the discovery process and usually made public.

Owners of Hyundai's have so far been successful (CanadianDriver General News Hyundai corrosion lawsuit moves forward) in their lawsuit and will no doubt result in a settlement in the near future. If MB owners act as a block we have alot of power as a group (1000+ owners giving 200 bucks pays for ~$200k in legal costs, or percentage arrangement).

I too an tired of getting the run-around on this, if Mercedes-Benz has done nothing wrong then such a court action will absolve them, however IF they are found to have *knowingly* sold defective vehicles then I believe they should be made to own up to this mistake.

Regards,
Rich...
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MB vehicles leave the factory fully protected against weather attack. Nevertheless, how each individual deals with maintenance will determine how effective will the factory built defenses be.

Galvanized steel is prone to attack by chemicals (like street treatment salt and acid and grim rainwater), so it has to be protected by maintaining surfaces cleaned and if possible water resistant (like with waxes and sealants).

This general maintenance should be typical for any finish, since on non-galvanized steel surfaces the protection is just as good, by dipping the metal surfaces into proven corrosion resistant compounds.

Without taking care of your car, expect to have to pay the piper at some time, generally in the somehow distant future. Understand that Aluminum itself protects itself from corrosion with a clear or milky coat which forms over its surface with time. So everything requires cleaning and protection.
My advise is that instead of going jumping through hoops speculating how concerned you should be, get into a car care web store which post a maintenance manual, such as Autobarn, Autogeek, Car Care...

Cheers and enjoy the exercise of maintaining the car and the beauty of the MB ride.

JV

PS Note that if you wish new primer or base paint to bond well, an electrostatic gun should be used to apply them, or the surface should be treated as recommended by the paint manufacturer prior to application. As for the clear coating, PPG European Formula Ceramic Clear Coat is the ticket (Superhard protection surfacing product used by MB). Don't allow shysters or discount paint outlets sell you a poor job.

Last edited by JoeVal; 11-17-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: PS note added.
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
JV, I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you.
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well Joe,
As a matter of fact there were rust issues at MB that is why there was a bulletin to check and introduce a wax sealant it applied to 203 and 210 cars and there were specific rannges of VIN #s and approximayely 170,000 vehicles were effected. The MB bulletin is 2005030005 and refers to "premature corrosion".
My 01 E wagon had the SERVICE CAMPAIGN performed and just recently had chunks of metal and paint fall, from between the door seal and the outer lip of both front doors. The MB body shop wanted $1600 and proposed removing the door seals sand blasting the exterior and interior of all the doors, treating them with preservative and repainting. They showed my pictures to the "zone" rep and examined the car. I was not happy with the price, but the final agreement was to have them reduce the estimate to "warranty" pricing $1100 and they would contribute $500. The car is in as we speak, the body shop manager was this rust, is not unusual and has seen some that have been worse and in one case the proposal was to replace the doors. MY 92 S sits right next to it in the garage and only has a slight blemish one one corner of the moon roof.
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVal View Post
MB vehicles leave the factory fully protected against weather attack. Nevertheless, how each individual deals with maintenance will determine how effective will the factory built defenses be.
Joe,
You are certainly correct to say this statement regarding current and most likely post-2003 manufactured by Mercedes-Benz. However there are *allegations* that cars manufactured during a specific time interval were NOT protected properly from corrosion. And by "properly" I mean to the corrosion protection standards/techniques generally used and accepted by other car manufactures of the era. If a vehicle is not properly protected from corrosion at the factory, your car likely suffer from premature corrosion no matter how well it was cared for.

However, to date I have not seen hard evidence to support this allegation, just a lot of people hearing things from service managers and other unnamed sources. It would be helpful if people could post the sources of their information, particularly the statements made on the first post of this thread.

Sadly, I suspect the outcome of this issue for most will simply to avoid the MB brand in the future in favor of other manufacturers. A shame considering the excellent engineering and quality standards MB has generally used in the manufacturing of their vehicles during their long storied history. Right now I'm very torn on this issue myself, as I do love the brand, but their unwillingness to publicly deny or accept (and respond to) these allegations has shaken my faith in MB.

Rich...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in