LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: see signature
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Tee
I was going to ask the same thing: what is the galvanizing story on the B-Class, 2008 model year?

FWIW my about-to-retire at 362,000 km 1988 Peugeot 405 is nearly all galvanized (no rust despite many harsh Interior BC winters), and on a Peugeot factory tour in 1986 I saw 505 body shells in production with rear fenders and lower panels all galvanized.

2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed
2006 smart BRABUS Tailor Made Canada 1 cdi cabriolet
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, for the kids
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection, restoration underway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Mercedes-Benz A-Class fully galvanised body for high long-term quality

Well I guess this answers it; they're all galvanised now.

post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 07:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
That's great news if it also applies to the B class and it seems that it does. I wonder if your 2008 B200 will have proper drainage in the hood(bonnet) compared to my B200 2006. We'll find out in October!!! Derek
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I have since read the exact same thing in the CDN dealer information package when the B-Class first came out in 2005. So yeah it is totally galvanised according to this info.

My new B 200 will - for the time being at least - be living outside within 100 m of the Pacific Ocean, so I hope the anti-rust treatment is OK. My 67% galvanised Peugeot 405 has held up very well over the last 19 years.

I may try to re-arrange the interior of my garage to get three cars in there: my 404 C, my smart and the B 200. It is possible but I need to redesign the storage area.

Your photos of the hood look worrying, are those rust stains coming out of the holes, or is it something else?

post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

B Class Product Information excerpt

From the CDN B-Class Product Infomation publication:

Quote:
Corrosion Protection: fully galvanized, partly double-coated body panels

Mercedes-Benz has developed an effective package of measures for long-term anti-corrosion protection. This is based on fully galvanized body panels, some of which have an additional organic coating on both sides depending on their location, e.g.on the doors or on the front, side and rear longitudinal members. This coating also contains rust-inhibiting zinc pigments. Mercedes-Benz also protects the most vulnerable structural areas of the bodywork with a cavity-fill preserving agent, for example on the front side members, the upper side member plane, the door sills and the rear wheel fenders. The Mercedes-Benz experts also weather-seal the welding seams in order to prevent the onset of corrosion. The seam sealing benefits not only the hood, doors, tailgate, rear wheel fenders and flap over the fuel filler cap, but also a large proportion of the welded points in the floor structure of the new B-Class, including the spare tire and battery recesses.

post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 10:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT.
I have since read the exact same thing in the CDN dealer information package when the B-Class first came out in 2005. So yeah it is totally galvanised according to this info.

My new B 200 will - for the time being at least - be living outside within 100 m of the Pacific Ocean, so I hope the anti-rust treatment is OK. My 67% galvanised Peugeot 405 has held up very well over the last 19 years.

I may try to re-arrange the interior of my garage to get three cars in there: my 404 C, my smart and the B 200. It is possible but I need to redesign the storage area.

Your photos of the hood look worrying, are those rust stains coming out of the holes, or is it something else?

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for the info page on galvanizing. I can sleep a little better because of that page. That hood posting is very accurate, unfortunately, and what you see in the holes is body cavity wax that I applied from a spray and a brush. When I raised the hood(bonnet), water poured down onto the headlight from the hood. I knew water was trapped somewhere up there. A terrible design flaw from Mercedes and the dealer admits it. The galvanizing will help but in the end, the rust will win. No hood insulator doesn't help. Splashup marks are easily seen under the hood. I'm still not sure where the water comes from, I removed the black plastic strip on the top of the hood near the wipers and there are large holes that should have had grommets installed. The right wheel well also has a small gap that could easily let water splash up. I've sealed all those places. I think I did the right thing with that posting and I hope others will follow my lead.
Cheers, Derek

Last edited by DEVOURS; 10-26-2007 at 07:01 PM.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 12:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I have a couple of 5 L cans of Waxoyl so I'll probably do the same as you.

post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:45 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
At least with the W201 and W124 chassis, built in Bremen and Sindelfingen, Mercedes did dip the entire chassis in a rustproofing "bath" before further assembly. After the full submerged dip, wax was also injected into the box sections of the chassis. Primer was then applied, a color coat and then clear. The painted sections were heat baked for finish. This procedure likely predated those chassis, but those are the ones that I am aware of.
Question, I have a 2003 SL500 that was built at the end of 2001. If it is not galvanized did it go through the above process? I wouldn't think they would cheap out on their top sport model convertible??? Anyone know?
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:50 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Well, had another thought on this galvanizing issue. The paint on my W221 is like typical for current cars but I'm sure it isn't galvanized on any visible part (not sure about the roof), the point being that the visible parts are all aluminium, or plastic (what ever bumpers etc. are).

The comment earlier about water soluble paint seems to be the reason as claimed earlier. This being the case, you cannot expect "the quality to come back" as this is forced by today's environmental rules.

A typical case where it simply is not fair to compare old models with new ones.
Good point my 2003 SL has aluminium - hood, doors, trunk, and roof. The bumpers are plastic and the bottom is sealed. and the suspension is aluminium.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote from MTI above??

So, let me get this straight.....cavity wax is applied, and then the primer, and then the color and clear.
What's wrong with that statement!!! I'd like to see that MB document.

The B class is covered with 2 coats of cavity wax in about 50 visible places.(MB states)
The hood is completely done twice, yet on inspecting this hood, I can't see or feel any cavity wax. Just smooth red paint. I don't get it??? Anyone know how this process works???

Last edited by DEVOURS; 11-28-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in