post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 02:51 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '79 450 SLC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to B-McD
Originally Posted by cyberdrakon
CL is 2 door, S is 4 door, very different purpose.

The CL, like it's previous models of the SEC and SLC, has always been seen as the 2 door S class. Both are ultra high in luxury, comfort and power. And both cost ridiculous amounts of many speced up.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Lightbulb Model designations

Originally Posted by MarcusF
As for the CL, SL, CLK, and SLK, the letters actually stand for something; Coupe Leicht, Sport Und Leicht, Coupe Leicht Kurz, and Sportlich Leicht Kurz.
Leicht = Light and Kurz = Short.

And I think the "E" stands for "Einspritzen" which I have been told means "fuel injection" in English.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 03-13-2007 at 09:46 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 01:42 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1999 SLK230 Kompressor
In a word: CONSUMERISM. Mercedes bought into the consumer mentality that most of the world has slipped into, starting with the ML, which was supposed to be an affordable everyman's Benz SUV (and yes, it was built just as cheap initially, and this hurt their image immensely). They see a chance to make money and, being businessmen, they seize upon the moment. What they failed to factor in was the outcry that would ensue from the purists who still rememeber what a Benz is supposed to be.

Now, with their newer models, you see they are trying to repair that damage by emphasizing the "quality" of each model, and the heritage or "soul" behind the brand. Seems to be working...the next few years will tell if they have successfully turned it around. IMHO the new S-class is a good indication of more quality products from MB. Although, they should have made the night vision option a heads up display, rather than showing it in the instrument cluster.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: Green '02 E320 Wagon
(Thread Starter)
Forgot about this thread. Still saddned by the consumerism of the broad product range. I was shocked when I visited the Infiniti website and saw only five models - coup, sedan, awesome sedan, (the only SUV I'd ever buy) crossover, and (friggin land yacht) large SUV. Seems very focused, like the old Benz.

chinny4290: I thought the CLS was created to rival the BMW 6 series. The more I think about it, maybe the 6 series was created as a luxury Toyota Solara (and whatever the Lexus version is). I notice more and more of the large two door coupes out there.

Getting my Benz back on the road one step at a time
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: