Resetting CEL - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Lot of people think that codes appear and vanish instantly with problem reoccurring, or going. To my knowledge each error needs to be recorded by computer several times in certain time-frame, before the code displays and stays.
Your CEL will be triggered on the first failure for a few "catastrophic" codes, and these are the ones that will make your CEL blink on and off instead of just remain on. I don't have a list of which ones these are, but they're the bad ones that can do serious damage if not attended to.

Otherwise you need to have the failure take place on two consecutive cold starts in order to trigger the CEL. When the first failure happens the computer stores it in memory but does not turn on the CEL. If the same code appears on the next immediate cold start, it will then turn on the CEL. If it does not happen, then the code is cleared from the computer's memory.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 12:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Harleyfied
Hi Guys, New member here. I have a 2000 E320 and a month or so ago ran into the CEL problem.. Bought a reader and my codes were PO170 and PO173.
Bought the MAF cleaner, sprayed the crap out of it. reinstalled cleared the CEL and it came back on after a few starts. Went on line at ebay motors and bought the Bosch insert from a guy name luckynat. He has lots of good feedback etc..
arrived in two days, installed cleared light, and the car is smoking and smelling like rotten eggs so bad , I had to shut it off..Any ideas?
I got an email into the seller , awaiting response, will keep you posted with his response..

Don't hold your breath for that reply... People can save selves a lot of time, money and aggravation by just going to the dealer in the first place, IMO and IME!

Don't believe everything you think
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2006
(Thread Starter)
I replaced the MAF insert, drove the car for about 25 miles and the CEL is gone. Went back for re-inspection and passed.
Thanks to everyone for their advise. Also a BIG thanks to German star for a quick shipment.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 08:00 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2007
I heard back from the Seller, He told me to Drive the car, maybe a buildup of fuel in the cat was causing the odor. I drove the car and it did clear up after about 5 miles..Been driving it and it seems to get better and better..Maybe its wishful thinking..Anyway, no more CEL and I'm a Happy camper..
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: