post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2007 SL 550 Black-on-Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade
I had heard this also, that everything not nailed down gets stolen on the boat.

That means NO luggage gets put in the car or the trunk, first aid kits and warning triangle will have to go home as carry on luggage, on the plane with the customer himself, and it appleies to Volvo, BMW, any car taken on European delivery. That's a shame. More the fault there of the employees on the boat than the mfr. though.

The warning triangle? Oh, crap. I don't have that, either. Better add that to my list of missing items. This is getting ridiculous.

2007 SL 550 Black-on-Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 02:51 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2006
Hey LoftGuy I signed for my car on Decv 14 and left it with EHHArms to be delivered to JAx then to New Orleans. I left my plates they said would be on the car. The lady at the EHHarms told me that US Customs would take you first Aid kit and warning triangle becuase it wasn't up to U.S specs. Itook the 1st aid kit and the warning triangle. She told me the plates would be on the car when it got here we'll see I'll keep you posted. Anyone know how long it actually takes to get your car after you've turned it in? To get to JAX then to the dealer?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 04:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just so that I fully understand what I just read - The U.S. Customs and Border Protection division of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, is confiscating the first aid kits and warning triangles from Mercedes-Benz EDP vehicles because they don't meet U.S specs?!?!?!?

What in the Sam Hill is in a Euro-Spec first aid kit that's not in an "authorized"U.S. first aid kit? Laryngoscope? Scalpel? Bone saw? It sounds like the Customs workers are performing their own version of a colonoscopy.

On the other hand, I may have rushed to judgment. At first, this seemed a bit intrusive (like a colonoscopy where the tool goes right from the freezer to the inner sanctum), but I neglected to consider the greater good. After further reflection, I can sleep better tonight knowing U.S. roads won't have warning triangles that are out of spec this New Years Eve.

Lastly, I often wondered why there are always warning triangles on Ebag. Is it possible . . . . . .
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 07:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
They have been warning EDP participants of this for years. My in-laws bought 3 cars EDP. 1976, 1981, 1985. Every time they told them to remove everything to prevent thievery.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffy
Hey LoftGuy I signed for my car on Decv 14 and left it with EHHArms to be delivered to JAx then to New Orleans. I left my plates they said would be on the car. The lady at the EHHarms told me that US Customs would take you first Aid kit and warning triangle becuase it wasn't up to U.S specs. Itook the 1st aid kit and the warning triangle. She told me the plates would be on the car when it got here we'll see I'll keep you posted. Anyone know how long it actually takes to get your car after you've turned it in? To get to JAX then to the dealer?
Huh?? US Customs takes first aid kits and warning triangles?? That sounds absurd. For the record, I did get my first aid kit. I did not get my warning triangle. And if Mercedes can't get warning triangles that meet US specs, perhaps they should contact Audi for them. I got warning triangles with each of my last 3 Audis. So, there is a manufacturer in Germany that makes them to US specs, if there is such a thing. I'm suspicious, though....maybe it isn't US customs that is confiscating them. I also cannot believe that Mercedes would ship cars with items they know would be confiscated. Then again...

As for the plates, it seems its a comlete crapshoot. A buddy whose car was shipped around the same time mine was shipped got his, but I didn't. But, he used a different dealership. So, who knows?

As for getting your car, you have a way to go. I left my car in Germany in mid-October, and picked it up from my dealer at the end of the first week of December.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch207
They have been warning EDP participants of this for years. My in-laws bought 3 cars EDP. 1976, 1981, 1985. Every time they told them to remove everything to prevent thievery.
This makes me even madder. If they have known about this theft for years, then they deliberately misled me when they said that the plates would come through with the car "just fine." They should have told me instead that I should take them. I should have taken the warning triangle and the manuals, too, as I didn't get them, either -- and I'm now having difficulty with the dealer over getting the manuals.

I wish Mercedes, Harms, and my dealer had been honest with me about this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in