LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nu Be with a couple questions

Just found his site and already I have learned alot.
I have a 1994 C280 with 160,000. Car runs great. A couple of questions:

1. I want to change the A/T fluid so I can start off fresh. Shoud I go Syn or reg?
Also should I go with MB fluid? It's alot more expensive but if it's the right thing to use I will.

2.When I got the car last April it had new tires (Mich) all the way around. I have only put on about 9000 miles and already the rear tires are wearing on the inside alot like they are not square with the road. Is this normal? Front tires still look great.

3. The car is very smooth until about 80+ then it starts to vibrate alittle in the steering wheel. Any ideas?
That's enough for now and thanks in advance for any and all the help.

pguard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pguard
Just found his site and already I have learned alot.
I have a 1994 C280 with 160,000. Car runs great. A couple of questions:

1. I want to change the A/T fluid so I can start off fresh. Shoud I go Syn or reg?
Also should I go with MB fluid? It's alot more expensive but if it's the right thing to use I will.

2.When I got the car last April it had new tires (Mich) all the way around. I have only put on about 9000 miles and already the rear tires are wearing on the inside alot like they are not square with the road. Is this normal? Front tires still look great.

3. The car is very smooth until about 80+ then it starts to vibrate alittle in the steering wheel. Any ideas?
That's enough for now and thanks in advance for any and all the help.

pguard
Not an expert but on
1) I would definitely go with the MB fluid (I assume your model has a torque converter drain plug and you don't need any extra oil to flush the tranny)

2) I would have the wheel alignment checked. Some MBs have been prone to front tire wear but rear tires should have less problems if wheels are properly aligned. You did not mention the tire speed class, high speed rated tires wear more, could be gone before 20 000 miles (of course extremely dependent on driving style).

3) Tire imbalance, bent wheel, a problem with the tire body (broken ply or something), bent rotors (should feel stronger when braking).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
I'm no expert but i agree with the replies of the poster above ^^^on items here.

(And thank you for visiting and welcome here there are sharp people here)

For the transmission, RTFM. What does the owner's manual say is the time or mileage change interval for this? If it's lifetime sealed and no change, I'd be suspicious of that, no transmission will last FOREVER on the orig. fluid without getting debris and metal shavings in it over time.

So, first, find out from the manual or the service dept what kind of ATF the car needs. It might be different if it's a limited slip diff, but whatever fluid the Mercedes majual reommencds, stick with that.

And keep in mind, don't overfill, and there are two kinds of transmission drain and service, the simple drain and flush, and the one where ALL the fluid, in every corner of the torque converter is changed. Your tech or manjual will explain the difference bertween the two.

My opinion personally is that you are right in thinking that at 160,000 you could be past due.

The transmissions are very robust on Mercedes cars of the age of yours, but they can fail at 250,000 miles or sooner if not kept up.

You have a sharp looking car, and they are VERY VERY safe in a horrible collision, you can't see it by looking but I've seen unbelievable pictures of cars like yours that got rear or front ended, rolled and the passenger cages survived intact enabling the occupants to walk away from the car.

Mercedes quality has slipped badly from the mid 90s from what it was before, but their commitment to active and passive safety has never wavered.

Good luck

Jim B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in