LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 11:22 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pillay
2 years?!?!?!?! No snow tires!!!! a S2000!!!!

Bet you got some looks over in Ann Arbor.

hahaha, yes indeed! i see lots of faces. lol

when i had Bridgestone Potenza SO2s, the car would not move with traces of snow on the ground. Kumho ASXs made a huge difference.

I see MBs stuck in snow every year in AA, and they all are wearing 17" summer tires.. duh

Gone but not forgotten:
2003 Honda S2000
1999 BMW 540i sport
1995 BMW M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 11:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1x
hahaha, yes indeed! i see lots of faces. lol

when i had Bridgestone Potenza SO2s, the car would not move with traces of snow on the ground. Kumho ASXs made a huge difference.

I see MBs stuck in snow every year in AA, and they all are wearing 17" summer tires.. duh
People who drive on summer tires in winter clim's deserve to get stuck--even MB people.

Don't believe everything you think
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I grew up in Chelsea, MI and have never owned a set of snow tires or chains until I bought these X-Ice tires last year! I once drove to Kalamazoo in a blizard, which eventually ended up droping 32" of snow. I just pulled in behind a simi and stayed close. The one hour trip took nearly three, but I don't recall ever thinking "I should have snow tires..." Actually, I'm not sure they even made snow tires back then.

Michigan weather is something else. A coupleof years ago, the day before thanksgiving I was driving home from Michigan State. It was snowing heavy.....heavy. It would change to ice and back to snow. Roads were horrible. But the strangest thing was the lightning. Never seen lightning in a snow/ice storm before. Luckily was in the M-class. Say what you want about the problems the w163 has, it performed like a champ that day-got me home in one piece and there were lots of other SUV's in the ditch.

Mike
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We finally had some bad weather in Mnpls yesterday. The Wife had driven the Benz to work, so I was off early and decided to take her the Volvo since the bad weather was imminent.

The roads were icy for the first half of the trip, then the snow hit. The S did very well with its Grabbits, the traction and stablity systems blinked a few times but the reason for it wasn't felt at all inside the car.

I just slowed down a bit, even with 3" of snow overlaying ice, I didn't have a problem. Which is more than I can say for the gentleman in the VW Passat that tried to take a curve at dry speeds and went into the trees after spinning like a top 3 or 4 times...

The Wife made it home a few hours later driving the XC at 20 mph on just slushy roads... WHY do I even bother...?

01' S430, Silver, Charcoal.
01' 530i, Orient Blue, Dove Gray
02' XC70, Silver, Graphite
Taurus, Jest Keeps On Tickin!
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that it would be interesting to compare driving conditions besides just snow and ice.

There's a big difference in driving on snowy flat roads and driving around the mountains in Switzerland, where I live.
There are some steep roads that you can manage on a RWD car, as long as you don't have to stop and try to get going again. On the other hand, since getting the 4matic I never had to put chains on again.

I don't think I'll ever buy another RWD Mercedes, at least not if it'll be used in winter.

Merry Christmas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in