how much brand loyal does Mercedes have ? - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: if you were to buy a Mercedes, how much is your decision based on brand loyalty?
i'm loyal ; I'd buy it despite its poorer ratings & reviews. 25 31.25%
somewhat loyal. my last car was MB so thats were I shopped again. 12 15.00%
poorly loyal. I am only loyal because they have the best product 8 10.00%
i'd buy what ever I please, whichever car is better 35 43.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 04:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2007 SL 550 Black-on-Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Have you checked the stock market lately???
Of course. Took 6 years to get back to where it was. More importantly, though, have you looked at the top-selling mutual fund firm of 1999 lately? Janus. They haven't returned to the top-selling spot since. In fact, they're not even in the top 10 and are still only a fraction of the size they were in 1999. That's the message.

2007 SL 550 Black-on-Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 04:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftGuy
Of course. Took 6 years to get back to where it was. More importantly, though, have you looked at the top-selling mutual fund firm of 1999 lately? Janus. They haven't returned to the top-selling spot since. In fact, they're not even in the top 10 and are still only a fraction of the size they were in 1999. That's the message.
Only idiots were in Janus--then and now! The economy and the market is at all time highs!! Get over it!!!

Don't believe everything you think
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Quote:
Only idiots were in Janus--then and now! The economy and the market is at all time highs!! Get over it!!!

Even though the economy and the market are at all time highs, that doesn't mean it's been better overall in general than the past.
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Thank you for verifying my point. Yes, whenever you see a herd moving in direction, there are bound to be many idiots in it. While it's easy to say now that "only idiots were in Janus" it didn't occur to the tens of thousands who were rushing into Janus then that they were idiots. It didn't occur to many other people, either. In fact, based on recent track records at the time, the vast majority thought they were being smart. Even a major personal finance magazine was touting the sorts of stocks that were all the rage at the time -- but, unfortunately, their major cover story on this was published on the very day the NASDAQ crashed.

Frankly, I don't see what the economy and the stock market being at an all time high now has anything to do with the point I was making, except perhaps to provide further validation of my point. The mutual fund firms that were sales laggards in 1999 have since become the best selling firms in history. So, even in the recovery, it wasn't yesterday's leaders that are today's. Let that be a lesson to anyone who thinks a modestly selling car company today is unlikely to be giving a thumpin' to today's hot selling company in the future -- even in a good market.

post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: CL500, CL500, 190E 2.6, 420 SEC, 350 SL
Nothing makes driving such an experience as a Mercedes. I've tried Beemers, Audis (which are better than Beemers) and one Porsche (which was a lemon unfortunately) but for the overall package of comfort, performance, style / looks, and kudos, nothing beats the three-pointed star. I hasten to add that not all Mercs fit this bill and they're not all trouble free (show me an automobile that is) but you couldn't part me from my CL, the ultimate machine. My 190E is the most enjoyable car project I've ever worked on (the car is like a tank, but in a friendly, approachable sort of way), and my SL makes the summers worth waiting for. My problem is that I don't sell cars I like, consequently the driveway ends up pretty busy!!!

In the UK we are fortunate in having other luxury car makers such as Aston Martin, Lotus and TVR, but while they all excel in certain areas, none offers the complete package in the way that a Mercedes-Benz does.

Japanese cars are gaining popularity in the UK, but it's primarily for reasons of reliability and certainly not looks (although Lexus do produce some attractive vehicles). MB need to work on their reliability.

It's a personal taste thing obviously. Most drivers aspire to a quality car at some point in their "careers" - and everybody has their own idea of what constitutes that car for them. All I will say however is - you can have the keys to my Benzes when you pry 'em from my cold, dead hands...

Current:
2002 (C215) CL500 (Batmobile), Obsidian Black, 60k miles
2000 (S210) E320 Wagon, Alexandrite Green, 140k miles
1990 (C126) 420 SEC (Bruce), Astral Silver, 112k miles
1978 (R107) 350 SL (Boabby), Signal Red w/ silver hardtop, 115k miles

SOLD:
2004 (W209) CLK270 CDI, 32k miles
2000 (W210) E240, 70k miles
1997 (C140) CL500, 134k miles
1991 (W201) 190E 2.6 Sportline, 133k miles
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290
Even though the economy and the market are at all time highs, that doesn't mean it's been better overall in general than the past.
When you get into high school be sure to take an economics class...

post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftGuy
Frankly, I don't see what the economy and the stock market being at an all time high now has anything to do with the point I was making, except perhaps to provide further validation of my point. The mutual fund firms that were sales laggards in 1999 have since become the best selling firms in history. So, even in the recovery, it wasn't yesterday's leaders that are today's. Let that be a lesson to anyone who thinks a modestly selling car company today is unlikely to be giving a thumpin' to today's hot selling company in the future -- even in a good market.
Perhaps you didn't make you point clear...

post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 03:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2003 C240 4matic
100% MB loyal. I am a used car wholesaler and I drive at least three different cars or trucks per week. Whatever I am buying or selling at the moment is what I put my dealer plate on and drive. I could care less what it is, a total turd or a Lexus, if it makes me a profit today then I drive it. I OWN only a MB (and my wifes Miata for the summer) and will only own MB. My first was an 84 190e that I ran for 224,000 miles and my current 03 C240 4matic just cracked 100k last week and feels like the day it was new. My wife drives our Benz during the day and she told me just last month "I will never drive anything but a Mercedes and I will never have any color but black."
post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 03:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Perhaps you didn't make you point clear...
Oh, I most certainly did, but you must have missed it. Maybe when you finish high school you won't miss as many points.

Also, your sentence should read: Perhaps you didn't make your point clear...

No charge for the grammar lesson today.

post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manymercsmike
All I will say however is - you can have the keys to my Benzes when you pry 'em from my cold, dead hands...
I've felt the same way about my past Audis, including the spectacular A6 4.2 (what a screamer in such a nice package) and my awesome A8L, which goes back next week as my 39-month lease is maturing. I will miss that car. I've also enjoyed two BMWs I've had in past years -- there's something about the way they handle that is so satisfying and has never been replicated in another car. I've also had an MB 190E, and my best days with that thing were the first and the last. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. It drove well, but was hideously abusive on maintenance costs and niggling little problems. Totally worthless in the snow (unlike my Audis, which would climb snow-covered hills with ease, effortlessly zipping past MBs, BMWs, Lexus, and many other cars that were rendered completely inoperative in just a few inches of snow).

As for my new SL 550, I'm enjoying it. It's quick, handles very well, is comfortable, and looks terrific. I also like the idea of a retractable hardtop in this climate. I'm expecting its value proposition to be very low, however, and probably won't be disappointed about that. I'm also expecting more disappointments with my dealer (doesn't MB ever take dealerships away from those that can't deliver the level of quality service commensurate with an MB?). The jury is still out on whether the SL and my dealership will deliver the satisfactory experience I am expecting from MB. Either one, or both, could end up being so disappointing that I'll look elsewhere when it comes time to replace this roadster. On the other hand, though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in