My Parents and the silver arrow - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 05:42 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: '91 560SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
keep in mind, just because these cars are reliable doesn't mean that they won't break, and break often...... the youngest w126 is now 15 years old, and most parts wont last that long.

i just spent 70.00 usd on one measly vacuum line that cracked, and now my car is un-driveable until the part gets here on wednesday.... its no big deal really, but just a nuisance because things like this happen more often than not.

dont kid yourself into thinking that you can buy a good example and expect to pay for just oil changes and tire rotations. an 85,000 dollar car (even though you wont pay that) needs to be serviced like an 85,000 dollar car.

just my two cents

Eli
1986 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL SOLD
1991 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC SOLD
2007 Honda Civic SI SOLD
2006 Suzuki SV650N SOLD
2001 Acura 3.2TL, 1988 Honda VF750C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 05:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290
I am a DIY, I am a guy that you can send into the forest with a q-tip and a pocket knife and I'll build you a shopping mall.

You know, there was only one interesting thing in that movie and that stupid line wasn't it.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #83 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
(Thread Starter)
Is that really necessary?

benz420, I'm aware that being a German and a luxury vehicle it is high maintainence vehicle in comparison to something that does have less luxury items/amentities.
post #84 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 12:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't worry. I'm not part of the "generalized" group of kids my age who come from wealthy backgrounds and don't get their hands dirty. It's not like I'm looking for a Mercedes just so I can say I drive a Mercedes and expect my parents to pay mechanics to fix everything. No, I'm not that naive
So you now have a problem with those of use who defer to the experts to get our cars serviced and repaired?

You surely are your fathers son.
post #85 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Benz
So you now have a problem with those of use who defer to the experts to get our cars serviced and repaired?

You surely are your fathers son.

WHy are we getting so touchy? I'm just defending my position in this. Because I am too often catagorized and generalized with the rest of the people my age and in my social/wealth class. I'm defending that there are exceptions to the general rule that "since he lives in a wealthy area and comes from a wealthy background, that he doesn't know how to get his hands dirty," and I am somewhat living proof of one.

Am I saying I'm perfect? No. Am I still a teen and have a long ways to travel? Yes. Am I saying that I'm just good as you experienced adults? no. But will I know how to repair the basics on my soon-to-posssibly-be-Mercedes-Benz? Yes.

I'm sorry but what the hell is with the insults? I'm trying th keep this even-keeled while asking for advice, even parental advice. So if I maybe wrong in my positions, then so be it and I'll move on and take all the advice from everyone here and settle with an 2002 Infiniti Q45t that I will pay for myself.

Why am I not sitting down and reasoning with my dad instead of typing long messages here? There are several attributes that are associated with good fathers, in which he lacks. He's stubborn, he's irrational, he has a bad temper, shallow-minded and is impatient...it was so bad at one point that after almost over 30 years of marriage my mom almost divorced. His type of rearing involves yelling/screaming, sometimes brute force, and he's never said sorry once to me or anyone in my family and meant it. Whether it was buying me the wrong birthday gift or missing my 8th grade concert.

Last edited by chinny4290; 12-18-2006 at 01:32 AM.
post #86 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 01:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
WHy are we getting so touchy? I'm just defending my position in this. Because I am too often catagorized and generalized with the rest of the people my age and in my social/wealth class. I'm defending that there are exceptions to the general rule that "since he lives in a wealthy area and comes from a wealthy background, that he doesn't know how to get his hands dirty," and I am somewhat living proof of one.

Am I saying I'm perfect? No. Am I still a teen and have a long ways to travel? Yes. Am I saying that I'm just good as you experienced adults? no. But will I know how to repair the basics on my soon-to-posssibly-be-Mercedes-Benz? Yes.

I'm sorry but what the hell is with the insults? I'm trying th keep this even-keeled while asking for advice, even parental advice. So if I maybe wrong in my positions, then so be it and I'll move on and take all the advice from everyone here and settle with an 2002 Infiniti Q45t that I will pay for myself.
Well I'm flattered that you feel the need to justify yourself to me and this further proves my point.

FYI I'm also a teen (19) I got my W140 when I was 18 and had then and still hold the same opinion now.

Who the hell are you to start scorning those who go to mechanics to get things done and to the degree with which our parents support us in terms of maintence? You think your fathers reasoning of the MB brand to be unfair, well when you make a comment like that it sounds exactly the same "Look at all those rich kids with their MB's and Mummy and Daddy helping them" you sound very small and immature. Simply because you will pay for your own car and perhaps do some DIY on it does not make you any better than any other person here, the fact that you obviously care so much about other peoples situations to the point that you have to make youself out to be superior is just sad.

I'm here to talk about cars not to be subjected to some begrudging little twat spout off a bunch of BS about how hes so proud and much better than others which in this case amounts to nothing more than a case of tall poppy syndrome. Why do you even care how people pay for things and where and how they fix their car? You are the worst type of extrovert the one who advertises how they have in their view such a tough life and only attempt to bring down others who don't have the same challanges as them.

I don't think being a teen has much to do with it there are young people here who seem to be worlds ahead of you in terms of maturity and common sence.
post #87 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Benz
Well I'm flattered that you feel the need to justify yourself to me and this further proves my point.

FYI I'm also a teen (19) I got my W140 when I was 18 and had then and still hold the same opinion now.

Who the hell are you to start scorning those who go to mechanics to get things done and to the degree with which our parents support us in terms of maintence? You think your fathers reasoning of the MB brand to be unfair, well when you make a comment like that it sounds exactly the same "Look at all those rich kids with their MB's and Mummy and Daddy helping them" you sound very small and immature. Simply because you will pay for your own car and perhaps do some DIY on it does not make you any better than any other person here, the fact that you obviously care so much about other peoples situations to the point that you have to make youself out to be superior is just sad.

I'm here to talk about cars not to be subjected to some begrudging little twat spout off a bunch of BS about how hes so proud and much better than others which in this case amounts to nothing more than a case of tall poppy syndrome. Why do you even care how people pay for things and where and how they fix their car? You are the worst type of extrovert the one who advertises how they have in their view such a tough life and only attempt to bring down others who don't have the same challanges as them.

I don't think being a teen has much to do with it there are young people here who seem to be worlds ahead of you in terms of maturity and common sence.

Excuse me, but did I specify that everyone who goes to a special mechanic is inferior?

I don't think so. But we're all so deep in shit with generalizations that I felt to defend my position. Oh well, you disproved me. Well done, kudos to you. That just further enhances the point of this thread...for advice. I'm asking the older/wiser for advice since I can't from the one who denies my request for a MB.

So what I talk down on others who fall under the generalizations of "lil rich kids," it's a better sense of accomplishment for myself and proves for me that if I work hard, it pays off. Thanks for playing.
post #88 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 02:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Excuse me, but did I specify that everyone who goes to a special mechanic is inferior?

I don't think so. But we're all so deep in shit with generalizations that I felt to defend my position. Oh well, you disproved me. Well done, kudos to you. That just further enhances the point of this thread...for advice. I'm asking the older/wiser for advice since I can't from the one who denies my request for a MB.

So what I talk down on others who fall under the generalizations of "lil rich kids," it's a better sense of accomplishment for myself and proves for me that if I work hard, it pays off. Thanks for playing.
Thank God your finally doing something for you then, so pick up your balls and go buy a car, if it is your money tell your Dad where to go, my Dad had some imput into the car I got but I expected it as he was by and large paying for it. If it's your money you sould do what you want with it, whats he going to do?

Anyway this thread has been full of advice for you and you don't seem interested in any of it, what were you hoping for some form of mind control for your Dad?
post #89 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
And there's a border line. When I mean "lil rich kids with BMs, Audis, hummers, Range Rovers, MBs and their parents helping them," I mean by new autos. Yes, parents buying their kids a new E46 M3, or an S4, an H2, a Range Rover Supercharged sport with 22 Lowenharts, a new C55 AMG...

I'm talking about a car that costs nearly 3-4 times less initially and is a car that I can actually afford with my hard work.

Alright, so I am talking down to those "lil rich kids." But you know what (and I know I've commented on certain generalizations that I don't like), here's a generalization that's true and is of simple logic.

and am I jealous of others fortune and wealth, no...but its the amount of carelessness that brings out the negativity whcih triggers the most attention.

Kid is born in rich famly who owns large empire. Kid grows up spoiled, and thinks that everything can be done for him/her by means of money and parents. Drops out of college because he thinks he has all the money in the world, thus not learning how to properly invest. His/her parents die. He/she spends all the family's fortune and brings the large empire down and leaves no future for himself/herself and their family if they have one.

I've seen and do currently see this happening right before my eyes, and my defense was to separate those who ruin their own lives. Does everyone follow this criterion and generalization? As proven, there are exceptions, so no. We're human beings, and we're all shallow minded to some point.
post #90 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 02:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
And there's a border line. When I mean "lil rich kids with BMs, Audis, hummers, Range Rovers, MBs and their parents helping them," I mean by new autos. Yes, parents buying their kids a new E46 M3, or an S4, an H2, a Range Rover Supercharged sport with 22 Lowenharts, a new C55 AMG...

I'm talking about a car that costs nearly 3-4 times less initially and is a car that I can actually afford with my hard work.

Alright, so I am talking down to those "lil rich kids." But you know what (and I know I've commented on certain generalizations that I don't like), here's a generalization that's true and is of simple logic.

and am I jealous of others fortune and wealth, no...but its the amount of carelessness that brings out the negativity whcih triggers the most attention.

Kid is born in rich famly who owns large empire. Kid grows up spoiled, and thinks that everything can be done for him/her by means of money and parents. Drops out of college because he thinks he has all the money in the world, thus not learning how to properly invest. His/her parents die. He/she spends all the family's fortune and brings the large empire down and leaves no future for himself/herself and their family if they have one.

I've seen and do currently see this happening right before my eyes, and my defense was to separate those who ruin their own lives. Does everyone follow this criterion and generalization? As proven, there are exceptions, so no. We're human beings, and we're all shallow minded to some point.
My high school had the sons of some of the most wealthy people in this country, never before have I seen so much work ethic, those who piss it all away seem to be the minority. However at the same time, if it's their money so what? It's theirs I don't like people passing judgement on my purchases and financial choices so I'll keep my opinions to myself, you need to stop caring what that guy down the street is doing and worry about yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in