post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: '03 ML500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Navigation CD update for '03 ML500

I have an '03 ML500 and wanted to update the Nav cd on it so I went to the dealer and found that it would cost over $350 for a new CD!! Is it me or is Mercedes really overpricing these cd's?!? I guess that's why they have a huge stock of them and have seen from other posts I've read that people are getting 2 and 3 year old cd's with their vehicles. Anyway, is there anyone that knows where I can get it cheaper? I've looked at ebay but it seems that the ML series doesn't except some of the cd's made. It needs to be a certain model #. I'm looking for a BQ 646 0219 or BQ 646 0218. I think they are the 2 newest updates that will work for my truck. Any help would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 06:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Sorry for no help but why do you consider these CDs expensive, or specifically overpriced? Are they cheaper for other car models?

MB does not get the content for free, navigation data for other devices is not too much cheaper as far as I have seen (phone applications or stand alone navigators).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
well honestly I could buy a stand alone GPS navigation tom-tom or something of like kind for the same price....and they update themselves periodically. No need to pay for updates. How come these discs are not updated periodically??
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by E21operator
well honestly I could buy a stand alone GPS navigation tom-tom or something of like kind for the same price....and they update themselves periodically. No need to pay for updates. How come these discs are not updated periodically??
Can't be like that. If the navigation map database is updated, you have to pay for that. I don't see why TomTom would be different. Are you really talking about map database updates (which this MB CD would include)? Can you give me a link (I may have a look at TomTom's web myself)?

I understand TomTom and others providing bugfixes for free. MB does that too.

I guess you are after new maps for your MB?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Can you explain a little farther as far as the map database updates that you say are provided?? How do you get them? Where do you get them??
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
As a matter of fact, Tom Tom does update your navigation for free. All you do is download it and move the latest update to your handheld at NO CHARGE to the consumer. I'm sure it's a money thing with Mercedes. If Tom Tom can do it they can too if they wanted to. And Tom Tom updates twice a year just like mercedes, only they don't charge. Funny how a much bigger company like Mercedes won't do that for their customers....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 11:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by E21operator
As a matter of fact, Tom Tom does update your navigation for free. All you do is download it and move the latest update to your handheld at NO CHARGE to the consumer. I'm sure it's a money thing with Mercedes. If Tom Tom can do it they can too if they wanted to. And Tom Tom updates twice a year just like mercedes, only they don't charge. Funny how a much bigger company like Mercedes won't do that for their customers....
Evidence please. I did have a look at tomtom web, this is what I found:

Question
How can I buy the new TomTom Maps?
Answer

TomTom offers users who have a GO 910/710/510, GO 700/500/300, GO, RIDER or ONE and Navigator 5/Mobile 5, have the possibility to order new maps. Until the end of December 2006, a 20 % discount is offered on downloads only.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index....age=1&FID=3555

I've seen tomtom like companies providing an update for free in some specific cases like for a buyer of the previous version when the person has bought the "old" map data just before the release of an updated version (for a very limited period of time prior to the new release). This is totally different to me.

The above may not be for all tomtom devices, if you know free updates for some tomtom products, please give us all the right info. I understand there are products that actually download all the map data from internet but you have to pay for that too, one way or the other, normally a running subscription fee.

For MB Europe at least navi updates can be found from the web (but it has been shown that this data is not exactly up-to-date).

http://mb-accessories.net/mba/mba_we...el=0.1&acy=118
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I called Tom Tom myself. It's for the GO 910/tomtom 1/510 that get free updates. They are updated twice a year. They are actually running a special for those units right now. I called and spoke with two different people. One told me they were free and the other stated that they were free with the promotion they are running. Regardless, the updates are $49.95, a far cry from the $350 that mercedes is charging.

Let me see...10,000 Navigation DVD's for Mercedes is costing the consumer $3.5 million dollars to update once a year and they actually do it twice a year. That's just 10,000. Try 50,000......$17.5 MILLION!!! So if you're into paying around $700 a year to have an updated map then go right ahead. With the manufacturing of new Navigation devices, I see Mercedes coming down off that high price. THEY ARE RIPPING PEOPLE OFF!! I can buy a Tom Tom 510 for $499 and pay $49.95 for an update once a year if they stop the promotion. My nav upgrade for the Mercedes was a $1500-$2000 option with a cost of $350 for a single updated DVD! Stop defending Mercedes with these astronomical prices!!

YOU DO THE MATH!!

Last edited by E21operator; 12-07-2006 at 08:40 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Well, I payed some $4500 for my MB navi, I wouldn't have considered TomTom. I know TomTom even is better in several aspects, but not on all (go to an underground car park, zero satellites and the Comand APS still keeps on showing directions accurately!).

I wouldn't mind MB updates being cheaper. I don't know which one (TomTom or MB) would have to pay more to the map data supplier (per sold unit) but even if they paid the same, I consider it natural that a car manufacturer wants more profit when the customer has less options. One could claim this hurting their car sales, I leave this math to MB.

For a more fair comparison, would anybody know how much other car manufacturers charge for a comparable update (preferably Audi, BMW or similar)?

Considering TomTom, my friends are using it and they like it. I have nothing against TomTom specifically. However, I was not able to find any information about free map updates e.g. for TomTom 910. If it is a local offering, it does not justify asking free updates from MB to their cars (this was basically my only point on this thread). The $50 versus $350 is probably a fair comparison, or does tomtom update even include a wider map coverage, at least 910 seems to support a wider map data base than MB typically does.

Sorry about my positive attitude on MB, I just feel somebody needs to bring positive thoughts to forums like this which normally are filled with exaggerated negative comments (negative comments are certainly welcome, those are often well justified).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I don't think MB is hurting on car sales. Anyway, I'm not unhappy with the services provided by MB. I just don't think that they are being fair with their updates. Just called BMW and their charge is $199 and they too use Navteq. Almost half the price! Also, if you you go to the Navteq site, MB is the only manufacturer that you cannot get the updates straight from Navteq. Any other manufacturer that uses Navteq for their DVD based navigation you can. I called to verify it and was told that any other car I could but with MB I had to go to the dealer. Funny...wouldn't you say?? Is that because they know their customers will pay the high price??

To charge $350 for an updated cd every 6 months to stay accurate on your maps is on the high side. Especially when there are restaurants and Walmarts etc. that aren't on the MB navigation. If I'm paying that much for an update, I expect these things to be on there. I think in the US, when you type in the closest Target, only 5 come up in the entire US. My DVD is an '02, but I know there are more stores than that in the US prior to '02.

Again, not trying to down MB but when you see the other manufacturers letting you go straight to the maker of the DVD to get your updates and they don't, it sounds to me that they want you to have to go to them to get your updates and consequently pay THEIR price.

Sorry, but I just don't think you have a leg to stand on with this one.

Last edited by E21operator; 12-07-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in