Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

how does Benz perform on snow/ice with snow tires?

4K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Musikmann 
#1 ·
I don't think it'll be the best idea to drive my 97 E420 all winter with yokohama all-season tires with 20k miles on them, although there is decent tread left. I'm thinking about getting a set of dunlop m3 wintersports or continental snow tires in 16" size, do E420s perform reasonably well on snow and ice with these snow tires?

#2 ·
Back in December 1985, my boss just had taken delivery of a new 1984 500SEC AMG euro spec, what a beautiful car it was, in Lapis Blue with BBS wheels.

This was in San Francisco, and he wanted the car with him in Aspen that Christmas, but needed the car driven by someone, and I offered to do it. I knew nothing about Mercedes, but loved the looks of the car and offered to do it.
One thing I thought was strange, before leaving he had a brand new set of mud and snow tires fitted to a set of blue AMG penta wheels, which I thought was strange, but he said the car might need them in winter driving.

A couple of days later, the sun had gone down and I was in the car on highway 80 in Wyoming, and the highway began to white out, in drifting and blowing snow, you could hardly see anything. All of a sudden, the road felt rather patchy and bumpy, so I slowed down to 60 mph, all of a sudden the rear end of the car snapped left, so I corrected, and then the rear end snapped right,, and I corrected to the right, but the car was one lane over, but straigtened out, I was terrified, WTF was THAT!!!!????

I made it, terrified, that night to a motel, in Cheyenne, and when I checked out I told the desk clerk what happened. He just laughed, and said, haven't you heard of black ice, you hit a patch, this time of year we lose cars off it every day around here.

As a matter of fact, NO, I was from the SF bay area, was 25 years old before I remember seeing snow for the first time in my life, what would I know about black ice.

But the Mercedes, with snow tires on it, SAVED MY LIFE, I have no doubt.
I almost put that new 500SEC AMG euro on its head, skiis on the rack and all.
What a fantastic car. Damn these things get the job done.

I vowed to someday own a fine Mercedes coupe like this myself. Ten years later I was finally driving my own 560 SEC.

And another 10 years later, after that, I still own and drive the 560SEC.

Jim B.

#3 ·
I am running 225x50x16 Yokohama AVIDs, on my lowered car.

The hot setup for winter though seems to be Bridgestone Blizzaks for Mercedes, check out the tires the www.mercedesshop.com TIRE RACK website, to get an ideal of what is there.....

Jim B.

#10 ·
Like a Hippo on Roller Skates

Had a 190E many years ago -- performed like a hippo on roller skates in the winter. Skittish even on wet roads, too. Some years ago had a BMW 5-series and tried running it in the winter with Blizzaks. They helped, but driving in snow was still a scary matter. Blizzaks were poor on dry pavement -- felt slippery and imprecise. Also tried top-of-the-line Dunlop winter tires -- they helped and gave much more traction than the all-season tires, but still the traction wasn't enough to inspire any confidence. I wouldn't suggest any rear-wheel-drive-only car for winter driving, either with or without the all-season tires.

#11 ·
I don't know yet how MB performs in the snow on winter tires, because I just got winter tires today. However, I can tell you that MB on all seasons doesn't perform well even in just a couple of inches of snow. Yesterday it snowed while I was at the movies, and coming back home was a pain. It wasn't scary bad or anything, but ESP and ABS were coming on all the time, and the car was sliding a lot while cornering even with ESP on. I am sure I could have survived the winter on all seasons (Michelin Energy MXV4), but I don't want to put too much strain on ESP and ABS, and have them work like crazy throughout the winter, which tends to be fairly long in Canada.

#12 ·
It's my first year in snow with a 09 E320 and a set of Blizzaks. I've lived in the Midwest all my life and the snow tires make all the difference in the world. Any car will slide around on black ice, hard packed snow, or freezing rain. I've been driving this setup 100+ miles RT through cornfields to get to work everyday and haven't had any problems except having to slow down and drive defensively. I lose a bit on my average mpg, but the changeover to good snow tires was worth every penny. Anyone I know who is still driving all seasons, even the 4matic owners, are whining about how their cars handle in the winter.

In short, listen to the advice of everyone who recommends snow tires for their MB. Find a set you're comfortable with and buy 'em. You won't regret the decision when your cruise by the SUV in the ditch.

#13 · (Edited)
Wife and I grew up in the midwest driving RWD cars on snow and Ice so we are reasonably experienced snow and ice drivers.

On our 97 E420, I put a set of Blizzaks on, and frankly, it's a whole lot better on ice/snow than any of th RWD cars with studs I learned to drive on. IMHO, about 80% of driving on ice/snow is learning the skills, (not just car handling, but also "reading" the road for the signs of black ice etc.) the other 20% is the vehicle.

Growing up, there were no FWD cars around (in the U.S), RWD seldom had positraction, few folks had studded tires, "traction control" ment "I stayed out of the ditch", and roads weren't plowed or maintained anything like they are now. And the majority of folks were pretty good drivers on ice and snow out of necessity.

Last year when the ice storm hit Portland, wife passed many a FWD or AWD car that was stuck or spun out or couldn't get going with the Benz. (and more than one 4WD pointed the wrong direction in the ditch) The combination of the blizzaks, W(ife) Mode and ASR is pretty darn good. Brother had the E420 in spokane WA for 5 years, living in the hills outside he city and never got stuck or had any problems either with studded tires. Biggest concern with the Benz is the low ground clearance. anything more than a few inches of snow or any drifting snow and it risks getting high centered.

If anyone in your area offers winter driving or skid school classes, they are worth taking. In our area skid school is offered using FWD cars with outriggers so the instructor can instantly change the car between gross understeer and gross oversteer even on dry pavement. We have all taken the class and it was a humbling learning experience. Gave the class as a gift to our 3 kids in high school and they have thanked us several times for what they learned.

#14 ·
Ditto to e-420. My father and I both had Porsche 911s (talk about dogs in the winter) years ago. Together we took a defensive driving class that included some time on a skid pad. We learned a few good lessons on how to control those cars, and I think I can still get myself out of precarious situations. Fortunately, I have a "winter beater" so the MB doesn't see any snow and ice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.