LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool Battery completely dead!

I have a 2003 E500 and have been having problems with the heated seats not working or working only when its warm outside? The rear heater seems to be always on (blowing hot air). I replaced the battery and now less than 30 days later the battery is completely dead. The car has 47K on it but is out of warranty. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a likely solution? Is there a 2nd battery in the car somewhere? ....plz help! I've thought MB was a reliable well engineered vehicle...after 8 months and four times in the shop I’m beginning to have doubts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 12:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.
I bet you bought the car quite cheap, because it has bad opinions?
Now you are complaining, that opinions are confirmed?
Coming to technical problems.
-there is only one battery in the car
-what "rear heater" you are referring to?
-did you let the car seat for 30 days and then notice the battery dead? That might be quite normal.
-if the battery gets drained in one day, get the ammeter, put it on battery connectors and start pulling the fuses to pinpoint the circuit with big draw. You'll always have minimal draw for radio and security system.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
38K and the battery drained in one day. As for complaints...the car only has 47K on it and i've had it for 8 months. I never thought after buying a MB i would have to put an ammeter for problems in the first year...what's next pull the engine in my 2nd year?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
u bought a wrong car if reliability is what you're looking for. MB is rock bottom on CR ratings, and read any late model forums here, you'll see owners having TONS of problems.

there could be literally dozens of things that can cause battery drains, get it checked by a tech

Gone but not forgotten:
2003 Honda S2000
1999 BMW 540i sport
1995 BMW M3
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 03:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Let's not get emotional here, people, and instead let's try giving our friend some actual advice.

Monty,

Pull the fuse that's responsible for the seat heater. If after that the battery doesn't die again, there's your suspect circuit. Perhaps the heater relay (if equipped) is stuck on and is sucking down the battery. This is a fairly minor problem, no reason to dis the car over it.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty_62
I never thought after buying a MB i would have to put an ammeter for problems in the first year...what's next pull the engine in my 2nd year?
Belive me, there is long way from sticky switch, or relay to engine replacement.
If you don't have an ammeter, you can take a higher-power light bulb and make a tester. If 20 W bulbs connected between battery terminal and car lights up with full power -you have big drain and that's the point you start pulling the fuses.
With normal draw the light bulb suppose to barely glow, or have no light at all.
In the past my friend bought a Volvo very cheap, because the battery was constantly dying. He enter the car at night couple days later and notice, that glove compartment light is on. Couple layers of electrical tape on the switch bumper solved the problem, that cost the seller thousands of dollars.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 11:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Belive me, there is long way from sticky switch, or relay to engine replacement.
If you don't have an ammeter, you can take a higher-power light bulb and make a tester. If 20 W bulbs connected between battery terminal and car lights up with full power -you have big drain and that's the point you start pulling the fuses.
With normal draw the light bulb suppose to barely glow, or have no light at all.
In the past my friend bought a Volvo very cheap, because the battery was constantly dying. He enter the car at night couple days later and notice, that glove compartment light is on. Couple layers of electrical tape on the switch bumper solved the problem, that cost the seller thousands of dollars.
You mean disconnect the battery cable and "measure" the idle current consumption? Normally a good idea but on an E500 2003 (is that a W210, W211 started 2003 in Europe) you get a service visit to clear ABS/ESP etc. if you disconnect the battery (did that once when the heater blower regulator failed and would have drained the battery any way during the night before it was fixed next day). A clamp ammeter would be better but those are costly for DC-current measurements. I guess one could try with an ordinary ammeter, connecting the meter first before disconnecting the battery cable, supplying power all the time. A bit difficult though to avoid any power loss.

Considering E-class quality, I believe W210 and W211 have a bit different issues. They have problems but the expectations are high too, I wouldn't say it is worse than the average and where they have problems, MB takes care of those quite well. This way the problems get more publicity, other manufacturers tend to get less publicity, it is not good for the owner if the car issue is not acknowledged neither fixed at no cost.

Edited: a mistake above, W211 started March 2002 in Europe.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 11-28-2006 at 01:17 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
fuse locations in 2003 E500

Does anyone know where I can get photos of fuse locations?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
You mean disconnect the battery cable and "measure" the idle current consumption? Normally a good idea but on an E500 2003 (is that a W210, W211 started 2003 in Europe) you get a service visit to clear ABS/ESP etc..

Since you already had your batter dead, than what exactly you worry about?
I've been disconnecting batteries on my Mercedes and the only worry was radio code.
If new models have electronic gizmos that needs reseting, you can connect ammeter before disconnecting the direct connection. This way you never disconnect the power from computer.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:35 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
W211 have two batteries. There is an aux battery to keep some of the electronics alive if the main battry in the trunk runs down or is disconnected. It is in the front. See the owners manual.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in