- Mercedes vs. Consumer Reports - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 09:05 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Nov 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by
It's like a guy that buys a $5,000 computer and then complains that the power LED does not work for whatever reason...

I don't get these customers... you don't just complain about such a car! I guess they don't know **** about the engineering involved in making it. They should just let alone the company and buy something more...reliable... as they say. Anyway, there are a LOT of ways in looking at a car.
LMAO. Do you work for DaimlerChrysler?
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 09:59 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 04 E320 4Matic
Just a little bit of good news for a change, the S550 outranks the Lexus flagship by a small margin in the 2007 AJAC Car of the Year Award selection, but it loses to the Audi A8 by a small margin:
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 07:57 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 06 C230 Sport
What is reliable? I do not recall this article explaining what the customers are complaining about other than brake dust?? Does this "brake dust" build up so bad that the car cannot be driven?? Do these models just leave you stranded on the side of the road?? And to think that someone would post something stating that his chassis is rusting on a "lightly" driven E-Class with over 100k miles on it. Maybe the rust is due to you living in MI where salt is used to thaw the waist high snow in the winter, but maybe not, that would be MB problem as you stated. Reliability is in the owners the car is driven, taken care of..etc..etc. As an present owner of serveral MB's I have to crack a smile and shake my head when I read things of this nature. Ohh well again just my 2 cents worth.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Premium Member
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S55, 2004 SL55
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Premium Member
Gabe: In defense of the person with the 9 year old rust problem, 9 years would have been a good life expectency for a 1960-1970 vehicle before they started getting serious about corrosion prevention. But a 10 year old vehicle should not be rusted to the point of failure. 20 years, maybe. 10 years, no. There still seems to be a perception with American car buyers that a vehicle is worn out at 100k miles, when most vehicles will easily go 200k. The days of engine rebuiding are gone - now the engine outlasts the chassis. There was a time that wrecking yards kept their engines sorted on racks for resale. Now they are left in the car.

The electricals are the current demon and it takes courage and faith to own an electrically complicated vehicle beyond 12 year or so. But all that aside, I own my 7th Benz and I will buy #8. But that does not mean I am happy with the decline in quality. The words "airmatic", "insturment panel", and "harmonic balancer" are still not happy words. I once owned a 15 year old 450SLC. Now I realize that the 87 500SEL was that last car I kept 3 years beyond the warranty. I just bought a used S55 and the first thing I did was add an extended warranty. If reliability were truly in the owners hands, vacuum assist closers and window motors would never fail if you always closed the door gently. Unfortunately, the items that are hurting MB's quality the most are not the engines and transmissions where lack of oil changes does play a part. It is the failure of the items installed as convenience features. How did I abuse my 2000 S500 to make the dash fail at 52,000 miles (2000 out of warranty) and wind up with a repair bil of $1900.00 on a $30,000.00 car. That's over 6% of the value of the car to fix something that has finally been acknowledged as being a problem. How did I cause the airmatic fittings to crack? And should I lose sleep wondering how I caused the balancer to fail?

I'm sorry, but while I still drive a Benz, I am disappointed in the decline in quality and resulting drop in resale values. I'm a used car buyer, so it is much less brutal for me. I don't mind paying less significantly less that half (53k against 119K) for a 3 year old 35,000 mile vehicle. I only hope that in 3 years, I can get more than half of my cost back. I just hope Mercedes has figured out that "quality is king" in the market place. If GM had built decent cars, Toyota would still be fighting for market share. But when I look at the new S-class vehicles in the showroom and see that Mercedes just could not resist trying to copy both BMW's I-Drive and Chris Bangle's styling, I really wonder if anyone is paying attention. If I wanted a bustle on my trunk, I'd own a 1980 Cadillac Seville.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 01:30 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '99 C180 Classic Selection
Send a message via Yahoo to
Originally Posted by Gabe M
Reliability is in the owners the car is driven, taken care of..etc..etc. As an present owner of serveral MB's I have to crack a smile and shake my head when I read things of this nature.
Damn right! You took the words right out of my mouth! That's EXACLTY why I can't pay any attention to these customer reports. (I take GOOD care of my MB and it has almost 15 years of hard road conditions but you can't see rust anywhere...)

Still, I have to agree with kerno. Too many "convenience features" can be disturbing and Mercedes has gone too far with equipping the car with electronics that have not been thoroughly tested. I would avoid unnecessary features. (We might find ourselves in the near future looking for the car's operating system installation CD :-O ) A car should take you places safely, just like a phone should be used for calling people, not taking pictures or recording video (even though that's the case today...). A car should be a car, not a home theatre, nor a remote control for buttons that are a touch away. Call me crazy, but I'd rather roll down the window manually while the engine is off and not worry that the motor might fail me and not be able to open it up. What if you just plunged into a lake, the engine went off, you cannot open the door to get out because water is pushing hard against it (and you SHOULD swim out of the car asap or you might not get out at all...)? Would you not rather have the window rolled down manually? Or what would you say if you found out that a spark coming from some feature you insisted on having caused a fire in the car? What about am EMP? You could end up with a completely non-working car in a second. Now I agree that the stuff that was installed should work, because you paid a lot of money for it...but depriving yourself of the comfort of pushing some button could save you a trip to the dealer later on to have the problem fixed, or even a dispute with the service personnel because they do not want to replace whatever it is that is at fault. I understand that Mercedes is and should remain a luxury car, but there are things you can truly be without. The choice is yours. More stuff, more problems. Nobody is going to change that. So, you see, Lamas...I'm not an employee of ANY car manufacturer. Just enjoying my MB.

I pride myself with my MB, even though it is not fully electric. But when it comes down to reliability, NOTHING failed.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: