post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Passenger Tail light issue 1997 e320 sedan

This is guaranteed to sound bizarre:

I went to replace my passenger tail light fog light bulb(the trunk mounted one) and see that the assembly only has ONE bulb in it. The other bulb hole had (it got knocked out) what appears to be an OEM "slug" manufactured into where the hole is. It really appears as if this tail light is OEM. The result is that the passenger trunk mounted light that I believe is OEM only had one working bulb in it, and one hole. I ordered a new tail light, and it has TWO bulb holes and TWO bulbs in it.

It installed fine, but I get a dash error message that a bulb is out. Also, the passenger brake light (body mounted one) does not work when I press the brake pedal, although the turn signal and other bulbs work when I turn on the headlights.

I inspected the 'plug' which goes into the trunk mounted passenger tail light assembly. It has only TWO wires going into it. (The driver tail light has 3). you think the car got 'rewired' slightly and they lost the third wire?? And then soldered a 'slug' into where the extra bulb cavity was??? And that the functionality of the passenger brake light depends upon that trunk mounted light working correctly?

Has anyone run into this before?? Any suggestions for me to get it working again??

Again- Passenger trunk mounted fog light does not work, has only 2 wires leading into it.
Passenger body mounted tail light does not activate when braking...but lights up with headlights and turn signal works fine.

Last edited by DCummings; 11-21-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gee, there's only supposed to be one rear foglight.

Euro regulations, you know.

Otherwise how does anyone distinguish from brake lights?

Perhaps you could put 16 rear fog lights on and then they could.

Kent Christensen
'07 GL320CDI
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 10:20 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 2008 C300 Barolo Red P2 MM leather 18" AMGs new style folding mirrors + 1984 944
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had to read you post several times to figure out what you are asking. First of all, your car has only one rear fog light and it's on the driver's side. That's the left on LHD cars and the right on RHD cars. MB has handled this in two ways that I know of. In your car, (LHD?), the right side has no bulb and no wire and why should it? Which meant at the time of production that there were multiple versions of the taillights. Now in my '01 C320, both taillights have bulbs in the fog positions but no wire in the harness on the right since it's a LHD car. One taillight version, worldwide. Only the harness varies.

One more boring fact, the C-Class fog light position is also the taillight so the bulb had to be there except MB could have saved 2 pfennigs by putting in a single filament bulb, except that the two-contact socket had to be there for RHD cars.

Dozed off, have you?
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: