post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why do women drive better than men?

I have always wondered why women usually have better driving skills than men. In really difficult situations in urban traffic they perform better then men. Why is that? Is it simething in their motor skills? Perhaps they are better readers of other drivers. Sure, out in uncongested roads men just lay on the accelerator...but when it comes to clever in-city driving they do better. Why is that?

I think that the only time men to better is when you compare men and female motorcycle drivers.

2009 BMW Z4, 2014 MB 300S BLUETEC HYBRID, 2005 MB SLK 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 08:48 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
what planet are you from?

Gone but not forgotten:
2003 Honda S2000
1999 BMW 540i sport
1995 BMW M3
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 09:14 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 98 MB E320
women don't lol.
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Lightbulb Women vs men drivers

Corkscrew,

I think you answered your own question when you mentioned motor skills. For example, the world record holder for typing speed has been, as far as I know, a female. This has been attributed to "hand-eye" co-ordination, for lack of a better term. Watch a few of them parallel parking though, and this statement might become meaningless.

I think that there are a lot of factors which detract from the average woman's ability to drive well. Around here, I see more women than men driving with one hand, and engaged in a cell phone converstaion using the other. I also feel that they have their mind more on their destinations and other problems, than they do on the rest of the traffic.

I think another argument that can be made is with regard to race car driving. In just about any given field of race car drivers, why are there over 90% men? Is this because women are too timid, or is it because they can't cope with the pressure, OR is it because they simply can't drive as well?

Just my 2 cents,
M

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 11-10-2006 at 09:35 AM. Reason: changes
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1x
what planet are you from?
The planet Thailand. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I don't think most Americans would agree.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2000 E 320 4Matic, '03 (50th anniv.) Corvette, '00 Land Rover Disco II, '85 Chrysler LeBaron Conv't
may very well be the CRAZIEST thing i've EVER heard....

the only drivers (yes i AM generalizing here) WORSE than women....are ELDERLY WOMEN...

LoL

U see a hottie at a party & go up to her & say, I'm fantastic in bed- That's Marketing
U R at a party with friends & see a hottie, a friend goes up to her & says U R fantastic in bed- That's Advertising
U R at a party & see a hottie, U walk up to her & pour her a drink. U open the door for her, offer her a ride, & then say, By the way, I'm fantastic in bed- That's Public Relations
U R at a party and see a hottie, she walks up to U & says, I hear U R fantastic in bed- That's Brand Recognition!
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '87 560 SL, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Premium Member
Hmmm...trying to compare my wife's driving "methods" with mine:

Hers - very calm, stays within all speed limits, and never gets flustered with any type of road rage.

Mine - always in a hurry, exceeds all speed limits, rolls through stop signs, and is very aware of potential road rage.

Is she a "better" driver? By the definition of the law, probably. "Skills" not even close! Could I out manuever and beat her from point A to point B? Absolutely!! Especially in clever, in-city driving.

Last edited by roncor; 11-10-2006 at 10:13 AM.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 10:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Well. My wife is the best female driver I've ever seen.
Yet, when we share long distance driving (like 550 miles to Vegas) we always arrive 30 to 45 minutes later, than when I am driving alone.
Urban driving? I tend to agree, that woman cutting somebody off will not trigger a rage (especially if she is pretty).
Keep on dreaming.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:18 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
I believe it's more a question of temperament, not skill.

Women do drive slower and less aggressive. My wife gets on my nerves because of how safely she drives. If she's driving, we have to account for added time to get anywhere.

As for skill, men are more visually engaged and women are more mentally engaged. I read a few stories stating that men have more accidents (per capita), but women actually cause more. How many times have you gotten in a near accident and the female driver just kept going in a clueless state?

It comes down to the same issue with driving with cell phones. Here in CA, they passed a law that eventually; everyone on a cell phone has to be hands free. If that's really the cause of accidents, why don't smokers get in the same amount of accidents? It has very little to do with your hands and much more to do with your focus. I'm always asking "What?, Huh?" on the phone because my mental focus is on the road.

My point is, when men are focused on something like driving, the visual stimulation takes the dominant amount of mental attention. Women, on the other hand, are more easily distracted by phone calls, conversations with passengers or thinking about something else, because they’re conceptualizing the conversation in their minds which diminishes their visual attention (driving) to the point of near muscle memory. It's the people that are focused on the road near that person that compensate for their lack of attention. (It happens with both sexes, but the amount of attention shift from visual to mental is far greater in women)

I'm not trying to piss of any women around here, although I’m sure I’ll get blasted anyway.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E420
When I met my wife, she had a Monte Carlo SS. She raced a friend of mine in his Corvette one night. She passed him on a narrow street against oncoming traffic, scaring the crap out of him. Then she got a Fiat Spider that she drove year-round, fishtailing and sliding around every corner she saw in the Indiana winter. Whenever we go on a trip, if she drives for a while I have to read a book, take a nap, anything. I just can't watch her drive.

Other than tagging the doorframe of our garage a few times in her minivan, she's never been in an accident. Go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in