post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
When will Mercedes give us this option?

I am waiting for the day when the authorities require that all vehicles be equipped with "SELF TICKET". Mounted in the dash it will monitor, via GPS, your speed on any paticular road. Should you exceed the speed limit (zero tolerance) the machine would immediately print out a speeding ticket, deduct the fine from your bank account and add points to your driver's license. Should jail (goal) time be required an automatic pilot would take control of your car and direct it to the nearest available slammer. Think of the time you would save!

2009 BMW Z4, 2014 MB 300S BLUETEC HYBRID, 2005 MB SLK 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 04:40 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkscrew
I am waiting for the day when the authorities require that all vehicles be equipped with "SELF TICKET". Mounted in the dash it will monitor, via GPS, your speed on any paticular road. Should you exceed the speed limit (zero tolerance) the machine would immediately print out a speeding ticket, deduct the fine from your bank account and add points to your driver's license. Should jail (goal) time be required an automatic pilot would take control of your car and direct it to the nearest available slammer. Think of the time you would save!
That is about the only way (besides the numerous traffic jams) that either of us would get a ticket for speeding living in this part of the world.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 08:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Besides legal issues like violating civil rights (don't I talk to a lawyer darn it?) you wouldn't like to send all those traffic officers for unemployment, would you?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 09:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
You've had some good ideas, but that isn't one of them!

Don't believe everything you think
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
You've had some good ideas, but that isn't one of them!

Why not? Driver monitoring systems are coming and going on the market for about 40 years. Every time the system become inconvenience for the driver, "somehow" a hammer, or other heavy tool gets dropped on black box.
Nothing new for me.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E420
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I am waiting for the day when the authorities require that all vehicles be equipped with "SELF TICKET".
Fortunately, here in the U.S. such a system would be unconstitutional. The right to be free of self-incrimination and the right to confront witnesses would quickly put an end to such a system.

Backlash is growing against red-light cameras in the U.S. for ethical, legal and safety reasons. Hopefully it will continue and we can stave off the robot overlords for a few more years.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 03:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnair
Backlash is growing against red-light cameras in the U.S. for ethical, legal and safety reasons. Hopefully it will continue and we can stave off the robot overlords for a few more years.
I checked the issue and there is no ethical and only questionable safety issue here.
The legal reason is, that evidently the Police have no qualified employees that can operate the cameras and contract private companies to do the job.
Bringing the issue of being cited by civil employees.
So, what would GPS be in the situation? Private, or government enforcement?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
What were you drinking when you started this thread Corkscrew? Just kidding, you are a funny man, and I enjoy your posts

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
One of the car rental companies attempted to do a very similar thing just last year in the Northeast and found that the courts frowned upon it for two reasons. First, a car rental company cannot impose fines and second it violated due process.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/ramasastry/20050823.html

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

The article doesn't explain everything.
Our rental companies have "California specials" that give you good weekly rates with unlimited mileage. As usual, when something has no limit, it can be abuse.
I did just that few years ago, when I had to make quick business trip to Texas.
For about $ 150 I rented one of the Fords and in 8 days put 4050 miles on it.
So now, I read about latest customers in CA, that took "California special" and agree that in case of violation the unlimited mileage can be changed to per mile charge and the car has GPS monitoring. It is all in small print, but the customers signed it.
So can you imagine the face of customer that at the car returns get the $200 weekly rental fee plus 2000 mileage charge at 50 cent a mile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in