LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: BMW 540i6 and Porsche 924 CGT conversion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is there a buyers guide here to sum up the models?

Is there a Buyer guide on this website for all of the different cars? I searched and didn't find much to help me. I want an older MB say for about $10k or so and I have no idea what a good year/ model car would be. To make this a short story I want to be told what car to buy. I have a 30 year old Porsche and an 8 year old BMW so I'm quite interested in cars of this nature.

I'm looking for a 2 or 4 door, not a convertable with AC that's reliable {as can be for the age of the car} and has some pep to it, not for driving fast but I want the car to be driven on the highway without running the engine into redline. The car must run well and have a history of running well and be somewhat desirable in terms of "That's the car you should get, it has the best relibility, comfort and is not too costly to maintain". I should add I'm not a mechanic and have all of my maintenance done by techs either at the dealership or if it's simple a local shop who is familiar with such cars.

I of course will have the car checked out from top to bottom by someone who knows the model before buying it and will find a "low miles" example of the car if possible.

Thanks and any input would be very helpful.

Last edited by 540I6 guy; 10-19-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 10:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For $10K I’d look into a 124 based 300/320 CE. When new, I think they were $55K+. Now they are quite a bit less than $10K, but the change should handle anything the inspection glossed over. The W124 is believed by many (usually their rightfully biased owners) to be the best Benz evah! Of course that usually lasts until a W126 bigot gets wind of the topic and starts in on how the W124 was a distant second at best. This usually brings out the W123 guys who say that any car with fewer than 800,000 miles on the chassis hasn't earned the right to be judged, and should return when it's been properly broken in. They all have valid points (which is the only thing anyone can say to get them to quiet down). At any rate, "I" would look for a CE. The inline six is incredibly smooth with good pickup. The later models were known to have engine wiring harnesses that disintegrated moments after the warrantee expired. I'd try to find one who's owner has already lived through that headache.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the 1988 and 1989 CEs were powered by a M103, which was a 3 liter SOHC inline six that produced 177 HP and 188 lb/ft TQ. Those were 2 valves per cylinder engines that were fuel injected. Does CIS sound familiar?

Dispite the fact that it was still called the 300CE, in 1990, they began using the M104. In the CE, the M104 was a 3.2 liter DOHC inline six that produced 217 HP and 229 lb/ft TQ. Those were four valves per cylinder engines that were fuel injected. I believe they started calling it the 320CE in the 1994 model year.

Lastly, there was a sportline option that many people were enamored with.

Happy Huntin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rentwreck.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	102061  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 01:20 AM
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hate to send you to the competition, but mbcoupes has a good buyers guide that can be applied to other cars as well:
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: BMW 540i6 and Porsche 924 CGT conversion
(Thread Starter)
Thank you both for the replies, very helpful. I'm in somewhat of a hurry too, I want it as a winter car and in Nova Scotia, November is very close to being "wintery".

Thanks again and if anyone should have anything else to add, feel more than free, I'll be here for quite awhile.

I've been a member of an older Porsche forum for more than 4 years and I'm still learning about that car, so get use to your website being bombarded with "search" demands. When I research a car, the whole internet tends to "bog" down over the world.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 06:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
For your price range, you can get a very nice w126 SEC. Make sure the AC is retrofitted to r134a.
They are fairly easy to work on.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 06:56 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1995 E300D
Hey, good to see another Bluenoser on the board!

I would second the E300 recommendation. I have a E300D as I'm partial to oil burners but even the pickup in it is faily respectable. All Benz's were made for the highway and only start to behave properly above 120 km/h.

If I spot anything decent for sale around the maritimes, I'll let you know....

If and when you find your Merc, I would recommend Eurowerks for your shop. Its in Halifax off of Lady Hammond. Burt's a busy guy but is the place to go if you don't want to spend $120/h at the dealership. He is a MasterGuild technician...even if his shop doesn't reflect

Former Bio-Blend Benz
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: