LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1995 s500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting topic.

Certain cars I HATE to see dirty. Mercedes is 1 of them. I don't care what year it is, it should be clean. It's amazing what a quick wipe down with a chamois cloth can do...

As far as people's perceptions of Mercedes, I think it's a state of mind. Not everyone feels comfortable driving these cars because of the image they project. There was a time when I wasn't "ready" to own a Benz. Even though my car cost the same as a new Ford that was irrelevant. I just wasn't comfortable with the concept of driving a luxury auto. Even when I first bought it & drove it off the lot, I thought people were looking at me thinking "what is HE doing driving THAT???" LOL

Now? Please! I'll drive that car to the swankiest of places, pull up to the valet & get out like I own the joint...lol (just kidding, but u get the idea.)

If a person really wants a Mercedes, they should get one. No matter what U do in life, SOMEBODY won't like it. Out of 3 billion people on this planet, U can be guaranteed at least half a billion of them won't like U for ANY reason.

One of those reasons MIGHT be because U own a Benz..lol

Aside from that, life is short. Sometimes U just have to treat yourself. But be humble with it. No one likes an arrogant bastard. I dislike people who think they're better than everyone else just cuz they own a Benz. Why? 20 grand can get U a nice ride that LOOKS triple the purchase price. So if they REALLY wanted one they could. Also, it might prevent the jealous types from keying your car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 01:32 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '99 C180 Classic Selection
Send a message via Yahoo to mix.man
This year I bought my first car...you can imagine the months involved searching for the right one on the internet, at the dealers, on the used car market. I made a list of all the brands I liked and then narrowed it down to one model per brand, leaving me with around 14 cars to choose from. I also had problems wishing for an MB, because I thought people would pass judgements based on the fact that I own one...and they do. It's like you guys have said: those who know you will appreciate your choice and be happy for you, but the rest will just gnash their teeth in anger.
Anyway, my salary did not permit me to buy a new car (I live in Romania, if you know where that is...) ), so my list of cars included cars from the '90's. To make a veeery long story short, it all came down to one '92 arctic white 190D (which I currently drive) and a '95 purple C220 (which I turned down because it was not a Diesel), both at the same price (7,000 EUROs, about $9,000 US), both in very good condition. The '92 190 has a few extras, like the Webasto DBW46 coolant, cabin heater and windshield defroster (1st and most important to me), wood interior, gray protective spoilers all around (not shure if they are called spoilers...), Momo steering wheel and gear knob and only 100,000 km, (around 62,000 miles), service history, 4 speed automatic, Pioneer sound system, and I really liked the way the previous owner drove the car and took care of it. Everything in perfect working condition. Basically, I bought a second-hand new car!

So, yes, you can buy a Mercedes and not be someone. The used cars are affordable (of course, you have to be extra careful, to know what you are doing so that you don't end up buying a broken one). I dropped BMW in favor of Mercedes because I thought people who buy a BMW WILL drive aggressively and those who buy a Mercedes, especially the 190 which doesn't have the acceleration figures one might expect from a car, will drive safer and spare the engine. But my heart goes out to all who bought new Mercs and take good care of them. Maybe you haven't thought about it, but you are respecting yourself AND the person who is going to buy it from you in a couple of years. There really aren't enough good SH Mercs where I live unfortunately, but I'm glad I found a good one.

Enough said. This car totally satisfies me.

Chris

Last edited by mix.man; 11-11-2006 at 12:12 AM.
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 09:44 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1990 300E
MAN MAKES THE CAR, THE CAR DOES NOT MAKE THE MAN.

He could be making a desparate attempt to make up where he lacks.

Michael
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 10:40 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1993 W201 190E 1.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimaster1
Certain cars I HATE to see dirty. Mercedes is 1 of them. I don't care what year it is, it should be clean. It's amazing what a quick wipe down with a chamois cloth can do...
Reminds me of the time i was out shopping with my old boss. He had taken his wife's 1979 C107 450SLC, which was quite frankly a disgrace. She's very wealthy, owns a £2million house and wants for nothing.

The car: Bird crap all over the metallic blue paint, dulled and oxidized chrome. Filthy glass in & out, clothes and empty coffee cups strewn on the back (leather) seats. Apparently her father had accidentally thrown the original carpets (not overmats, CARPETS!) on a bonfire after a valeter had removed them and hung the out in their barn to dry. She never replaced them. The boot had puddles of water in, old maps and torn-up magazines, and no toolkit.
Moss growing around all the window seals, rear windows didn't work, sunroof didn't open either.

So we're out in the car, in a particularly poor area of East London, and we need to park somewhere. There's a virtually empty lot, with 2 guys sitting on plastic lawn chairs.
We pull up, "hi, we need to park for about 20 minutes".
They said it would be £4 or if we wanted them to clean the car whilst we were gone, it would be £10. "Fair enough mate, give it a clean".
We walk off, joking to each other that we've just given money and his wife's car keys to two random guys in a dodgy part of town.
We go shopping, and return to the car 20 minutes later - the doors are open, the hood and trunk are open, 4 guys are going to town on this car to make it shine inside & out.
We were amazed, they were leaving no stone unturned - even ditching all the rubbish for us. The glass sparkled, even the tyres were dressed.

As they finished, one of them came to us, pressed the keys into my boss's hand and said...
"You want to start treating that car like a fuckin' Mercedes, bro!"

I exploded with laughter, my boss making excuses "it's my wife's car" etc.
Her 450SLC was written off by another driver a few months later, and we never told his wife what they said, but every time she sees my sparkling 190E she tells me that
she'll look after her next Mercedes...

'93 W201 Euro 1.8568 Signalrot • 16x8J Evolutions
W201 ROTM February 2007

post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: {Black Prince}1979 300CD non-turbo
So just coming in on the tail, but being a psychology major,fabricator,and visionary, i feel i must add my thoughts on the subject.people spend more time in their cars than anywhere else on the planet,just check USDOT statistics.So those of you who feel that your auto doesn't represent to others who you are are fooling themselves.Mercedes are a symbol, just like ferrari or porche.You buy what you see on t.v., or what you read in the most recent magazine.Your perceptions are molded by the consumer market.How many of you have built your car to reflect your personality, and that doesnt include a store bought, catalog ordered one.Make it, with Your hands, embrace the unique and amazing.You notice there are no personal benzs,being a benz club member ive seen alot. Not one single benz with something remarkably unique, except for mine. You know why, because they in themselves represent something, your status or how hard you've worked, which ever you choose its all the same.try for once thinking outside the box, i too worked for my car, but it also had no floor, bad exhaust, vacuum issues, trans problems, bad interior.But i was able to see more, not just a benz, a blank canvas.You wanna teach your kids ethics and perseverance, buy them a beater,make them respect what goes into their "ride".Because now i have a 1978 300CD non turbo, black w/orange flake,working on the memorial to my mentor down the drivers side and onto the trunk lid, planning on something voodoo.Interior is completely custom, built by me, orange w/black piping and top stitching.All the emblems are gone, and nothing is what its supposed to be.And ill tell you why, to make a statement that im not like you.So with that someone show me something with some passion like a lowered unimog, with ghost flames and a candy dispenser for the benz show.

My life is a journey, not a destination.So im taking a different road, and going really slow.
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar7981 View Post
So just coming in on the tail, but being a psychology major,fabricator,and visionary, i feel i must add my thoughts on the subject.people spend more time in their cars than anywhere else on the planet,just check USDOT statistics.So those of you who feel that your auto doesn't represent to others who you are are fooling themselves.Mercedes are a symbol, just like ferrari or porche.You buy what you see on t.v., or what you read in the most recent magazine.Your perceptions are molded by the consumer market.How many of you have built your car to reflect your personality, and that doesnt include a store bought, catalog ordered one.Make it, with Your hands, embrace the unique and amazing.You notice there are no personal benzs,being a benz club member ive seen alot. Not one single benz with something remarkably unique, except for mine. You know why, because they in themselves represent something, your status or how hard you've worked, which ever you choose its all the same.try for once thinking outside the box, i too worked for my car, but it also had no floor, bad exhaust, vacuum issues, trans problems, bad interior.But i was able to see more, not just a benz, a blank canvas.You wanna teach your kids ethics and perseverance, buy them a beater,make them respect what goes into their "ride".Because now i have a 1978 300CD non turbo, black w/orange flake,working on the memorial to my mentor down the drivers side and onto the trunk lid, planning on something voodoo.Interior is completely custom, built by me, orange w/black piping and top stitching.All the emblems are gone, and nothing is what its supposed to be.And ill tell you why, to make a statement that im not like you.So with that someone show me something with some passion like a lowered unimog, with ghost flames and a candy dispenser for the benz show.

My life is a journey, not a destination.So im taking a different road, and going really slow.

When I had my Mercedes, people always kept calling it my dad's ride just becaues I was young. Needless to say that pissed me off because I was making the payments on it.

BTW: That is one awesome avatar man.

Last edited by SaleenS7; 02-02-2008 at 08:53 PM.
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I personally don't care what people think about me or my vehicles. I am an enthusiast, but not to the point that I cover them up with tarps and constantly wipe on them. I do keep them clean, but I'm not obsessed with it. I bought them for safety first, MB second. I keep them meticulously maintained and in excellent mechanical shape. I replace items when they need it and I don't allow repairs to 'snowball'. I've always liked MB's and the look of their cars. European styling appeals to me. Nothing wrong with owning an attractive vehicle but any person who drives a car, any car, to get people to ooh and ahh over them have serious self esteem issues. I find it humorous that people think we're loaded- we're not and don't pretend to be. We pay cash for all our vehicles because we budget and save, not because we have a million dollars in the bank, because we don't. We won't buy another one, either, until we have the money to pay for it. Call it the Dave Ramsey syndrome.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Welcome to Silicon Valley, MB's are as common as pickup trucks in the midwest.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: C320 4matic
First of all I am a young professional who purchased my first MB last year. I worked extremely hard for my car and of course I take care of it during the summer months because I want it to look good. This has been the case with ALL of my cars.

I don't think it is the Mercedes Benz owner having a problem, it is how people perceive a MB owner.

Last edited by Tri-Star; 02-04-2008 at 07:21 PM.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 12:21 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 mercedes c280
Ya know Ive never owned a car that was over 10k in price and under 10 years old. I used to date this really spoiled rich guy who always had these beautiful 30k+ cars... never had a used car in his life. He would never wash it, would leave rotten bags of fast food lying around never get oil changes on time things like that. I couldnt believe how someone have something so nice and not care of it. It drove me crazy everytime i rode in his car...so i see your frustration...honestly though it really makes me think that when i do get a car that isnt 10 years old with under 100k miles on it ...im really going to take care of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in