LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lock cylinder removal

I posted this in the "General" category because its probably generic to many models and not just the 124. I hope someone can help.

Yesterday my 124 gave me trouble when I tried to turn the ignition key off. The car shut off but the key didn't go back to the full off position. The steering wheel was somewhat locked but it didn't feel the same as it normally does when it locks. There seemed to be more travel from one direction to the other. After a few frantic minutes jiggling the key up and down while trying to turn it off, it finally returned to the full off position and I could get the key out. When I tried to start the car the key wouldn't get out of the full off position. I jiggled it again and it moved and the car started.

Afterwards I shot some graphite into the lock cylinder and worked the key in and out. It still wasn't right so I switched to my spare key. It wasn't perfect with the spare key but the ignition switch works much better now. This is just a problem waiting to strand me so I want to get to the bottom of it.

The archives seem to indicate I am having a lock cylinder problem. If so, what is the procedure for removing it? Thanks for any help.

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:16 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You got two choices:
1. Get the actual tumbler for your keys from the dealer
a. Have them install it
b. Install it yourself
2. Get a tumbler with its own set of keys. This means you will have to use your old keys to gain access to the car but the new ones to start the car.

To remove the tumbler you need to remove the bezel surround. To do so you need to use your key to turn your iginition to the first position. You have to do this.
Once in that position insert a pin or a paperclip that has a 45 degree cut on the end in the little hole between the bezel and the tumbler. Puch the pin in and you will feel that it is pushing a spring of some sort.
Turn the bezel while keeping the pin in the hole. This will keep the bezel locking mechanism from being active. Turn the bezel counter clockwise until it comes off from the tumbler. Pull the whole mechanism out.

Do the reverse process with the new tumbler.

I did the same thing a month ago and I ordered my tumbler from Ron at Germanstar (yes our mod, and he was very helpful).

Good luck

Last edited by DP; 10-09-2006 at 10:19 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
EVERY W124 ignition switch eventually fails.

It's VERY silly not to get a matching-key replacement from your dealer.

You'll need proof of ownership.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for the responses. I appreciate the help as this is one of those repairs that is near impossible to figure out without a hint. I'll price a correct lock cylinder from M/B and decide once the "damage" is assessed.

Andy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
lkchris and Professor,

Thanks for the help. I purchased a cylinder with the matching keycode from MB as well as another key. The whole thing was just under $100 and quite worth it.

However, I tried to follow the instructions and have not had success in getting the lock bezel off. I can use some guidance here.

There are two holes on the face of the tumbler that a pin/tool could be inserted through. I am using the upper most one (in the "2 o'clock" position when the key is turned to position 1 in the Professor's instructions. Is this right?

Also, what am I actually trying to release with the pin/tool ? Am I depressing a spring loaded plunger or is there a different objective? So far I am getting nowhere; any additional help will be appreciated.

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in