Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Small water leak!

757 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DirectLA 
#1 ·
Hi, I replaced my thermostat and now there seems to be a tiny leak coming from the housing. Is there any sort of putty available that I could put around it which may stop the leak?

Thanks
Norm

#4 ·
Thanks, I'll try it again. I did get a small gasket with the thermostat but did not fit is beacuse there was not one there before. Do you think it might be worth sticking it on as well just for extra protection?

#7 ·
Same problem

I replaced my thermostat on my 97 C280 due to an overheating problem and now I have a leak around the thermostat housing. I got a new O-ring and put it in with the new thermostat. The new ring is round and the old ring was more of flat O-ring. Overheating is gone but I can't stop the leak. I torqued the bolts all the way down in an even fashion. Is it possible that I went too tight? Should I use the original O-ring as it's still in pretty good shape. Is there a torque spec on the housing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#8 ·
I replaced my thermostat on my 97 C280 due to an overheating problem and now I have a leak around the thermostat housing. I got a new O-ring and put it in with the new thermostat. The new ring is round and the old ring was more of flat O-ring. Overheating is gone but I can't stop the leak. I torqued the bolts all the way down in an even fashion. Is it possible that I went too tight? Should I use the original O-ring as it's still in pretty good shape. Is there a torque spec on the housing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is it a dealer part? I'd see if it has an individual part number and maybe order just the new gasket and try to refit. Sometimes over torquing can flatten a gasket too much and warp it enough that it will cause a leak, but I am not sure if this would be the case on a thermostat or the type of gasket you used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.