#1 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry B Service Rip Off

I have a 2005 SLK 350. I took it my dealer yesterday for "B" Service. On the invoice, The total cost was 314 Dollars. This included 94 Dollars worth of oil, filter, O ring, Washer fluid fill up. Thre rest was "labor" at 209 Dollars ( The diff was tax. etc.). The funny thing is that they had the car for less than one hour. How can they charge this much for labor when they had the car for less than one hour? I demanded to see their labor rate, which they refused to show me. They said this is just how much things cost. I feel that I got ripped off for what basically amounted to an oil change by MB. I paid because I wanted to get the car back to get to work. What can I do now? They did admit that if I just had gotten an "oil" Change it would have been 125 Dollars. But service B requires them to check the car's fluid levels and Brake pad wear. I just cannot see how they can justify charging this much for some visual inspection of fluids and brakes that takes no more than a few minutes max. I am calling MB customer service to complain. Do I have any other options? Have you guys paid this much before? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
You pay book time for service at most places. That's pretty standard practice. In your case id the book time was two hours at $100/hour, then the cost is $200 regardless of how long it takes the tech to do the job. If the tech is good enough to do a two hour job in one hour, then that's extra money for him and the dealer. It is also a possibility that two techs worked on your car for an hour each which would also put you at the $200 number. The key is that every single item on the B service checklist was done and done properly, not necessarily how fast it was done. I don't think you will get anywhere at all by contacting MBUSA, but I'd be interested to hear their response.

Len
#3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:31 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
just pay them like the insurance companies pay physicians- give them 28 cents on the dollar.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
This is just the way it is with dealerships......oops stealerships

Mike
#5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I agree w/ dsballdo. I wish as a physician I could bill the same way as MB. I can get my procedures done twice as fast and bill more. But it does not work this way and this practice has to end. I am calling MB customer service now.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
MB customer service rep says he cannot do anything because dealers set their own price. The Service manager at the dealership then told me this is what the job costs and sorry that I feel ripped off, but he cannot do anything about it. I asked him if he would hire me as a mechanic because I can make a hell of a lot more money there, than what I do now and I could have saved myself a lot schooling and loan money. He laughed and we hanged up.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by doccyber
I have a 2005 SLK 350. I took it my dealer yesterday for "B" Service. On the invoice, The total cost was 314 Dollars. This included 94 Dollars worth of oil, filter, O ring, Washer fluid fill up. Thre rest was "labor" at 209 Dollars ( The diff was tax. etc.). The funny thing is that they had the car for less than one hour. How can they charge this much for labor when they had the car for less than one hour? I demanded to see their labor rate, which they refused to show me. They said this is just how much things cost. I feel that I got ripped off for what basically amounted to an oil change by MB. I paid because I wanted to get the car back to get to work. What can I do now? They did admit that if I just had gotten an "oil" Change it would have been 125 Dollars. But service B requires them to check the car's fluid levels and Brake pad wear. I just cannot see how they can justify charging this much for some visual inspection of fluids and brakes that takes no more than a few minutes max. I am calling MB customer service to complain. Do I have any other options? Have you guys paid this much before? Thanks
I've never paid that little for any service. I'd say you got off cheap! Even for an A service they have to check and test dozens and dozens of systems in your car. MB labor costs are higher than many others because their service technicians are required to have much more training and formal education than other's "mechanics."

Welcome to the board!

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 09-21-2006 at 09:04 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
That's how MB dealer charge. One on the local (So.Cal) MB dealer posted : A service : $178.50 , B service: $288.50, you are lucky that there is nothing wrong with your car, otherwise you will pay a lot more. $300 for service is normal for MB (even with the independent MB mech). I try to void one very big MB dealer here, because they treat you very well, do not post the general cost of the service, but they it hit your wallet very hard. Nothing is free, they expect ,whoever drive a MB is deep pocket. I do not know for sure if you can get any help to call MBUSA, but post for us to know the result. Regards.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
I have the TSB's for porsche and it says right on them how many hours to charge for labor. I assume mercedes is the same way.

Mike
#10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 10:38 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2004
I took my 99 ML430 in for the B service about 2 months. They nailed me about the same $280'ish bill plus told me that my spare needed a valve stem replaced. Then they hit me for another $90 to do that, and a friend of mine has a rim & tire shop who would have done it for free.
I don't feel sorry for dealerships when they get bashed.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz