B Service Rip Off - Page 27 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #261 of 295 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did not agree but....

What if you had a dumbass that took 4 hours, can they charge you $400? I think they can charge me the book price and I will thank them for getting out in less than an hour. I'm in Wichita Falls and I drop Off c-230 next week for service B. They said to just drop it off! I'm sure it will be done around 5 hours later and be charged $300 if I'm lucky. Wish me luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 295 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
For my W208, a B service is supposed to include all of the following:

- Inspect windshield wiper inserts and fill windshield washer system (replacement of wiper insert itself is extra).
- Inspect and rotate tires (except my wheels are staggered so they can’t be rotated), record tread depth, and correct tire pressure. If the wheels have to balanced, that’s extra
- The oil and filter change (Mobil 1)
- Perform a lube service that includes the hood hinges, lock cylinders, striker plates, and sun roof tracks
- A cooling system inspection that includes checking the coolant level, visually inspecting the hoses and clamps
- A brake inspection that includes checking pad thickness, the condition of the rotors, the lines, and checking the fluid level.
- Checking the cabin filter (code word for recommending a replacement every two years)
- Performing a function check of the warning lamps, headlights, other exterior lights, seat belts, windshield wiper and the washer.
- Inspect and lubricate the throttle linkage
- Check and clean air filter
- Reset the FSS counter
- Inspect front ball joints, check steering play, power steering clutch, and check the rear diff fluid level
- Inspect the drive belt
- Inspect starting and charging system
- Inspect climate control refrigerant
Male owner should be able to do the above himself.
Female owner will buy a flashlight, perhaps a toolkit for her man to do it.
post #263 of 295 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 1985 300D Turbo, 76 Maverick, 04 Ford Dually, 94 Ford Dually, 03 Mitsubishi Lancer
Um...this female can do all the above. It's not rocket science. But we ranch, so I have to know how to do a whole bunch. I guess I am in the wrong business. That is a whole lotta money for basic maintenance.

Last edited by shweebies; 09-13-2011 at 08:25 PM.
post #264 of 295 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 06:10 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 00 C-230, 04 C-240
A "B" service on my 2004 C240 was performed under the "free maintenance". The tech didn't even bother to check the air filter. The thing was unbelievably dirty. Since there is no way to check the condition of the oil (no oil dipstick) I changed the oil myself, not trusting what the dealer said they did. The worst part of owning a Benz is dealing with the STEALERS.
post #265 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2001 E320 4-matic, 160K miles
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
musings on service.....

Here in the states, a manufacturer may not invalidate a warranty simply because required service was performed by someone other than the manufacturer's service department. If, however, you use sub-standard parts, that is a reason to invalidate. So, when you get service from your local mechanic or you do it yourself, make sure you use at least OEM quality parts and save your receipts in case you get into a urinating contest with the manufacturer's rep. See Title 15, US Code, section 2032, subdivision c.

Regarding the extra you pay to service at the shop...a)Labor rates, b)Capital Equipment Costs, c)Piracy

a)I find that labor rates in competent local shops are not all that much lower than the Dealers' rates.

b)Considering that Dealers have to purchase all the special equipment and training, somewhat higher rates is understandable. However, there will always be dealers who charge 3 or 4 times what is reasonable. Avoid them, of course.

c)The main difference I find is that Dealers like to recommend far more service than the guys who designed and built the cars. Think about that. An Engineering team working with representatives from a field service department design the product and specify what maintenance is required. Having personally led many design teams, I can attest that the members want to design and specify the best product they can - especially in a premium product where they know cost is not really an issue. And then along comes a Service Manager whose job is to sell you service and he tells you that you need something different, and more expensive. When getting serviced at the dealership, I walk in with the Users Manual and ask for the service required by the Manufacturer. I save a lot of money that way.

My own policy is to have the dealer do the service at least during the warranty period. It avoids unnecessary arguing when something covered goes wrong. After the warranty, the dealer's shop is on the same par as an independent shop. If I am satisfied with the dealer's service and rates (understanding they may be somewhat higher) I will stay with the dealer.

As an aside, there often are advantages to having the dealer do all your maintenance. I also drive a 2005 Acura MDX purchased new (fantastic vehicle, far more reliable than anything MB sells in the states - but that is a discussion for another thread :-) ). It has always been serviced by my local Acura dealer. At around 120K miles the transmission was "noisy" and diagnosed as a $4K replacement candidate. The local dealer proactively worked the paperwork with Honda to get me a new transmission and a 3 year warranty on it for less than $400. It was because I had purchased new from Acura and always had it serviced by Acura. I had a similar experience with brake rotors on a 1990 Volvo. Sadly, when my MB Catalytic converter needed replacement at 110K miles, MB would not provide any assistance.

Finally, I have my E320 serviced locally by an independent shop; very high "Customer Satisfaction", competent mechanics who know MBs, reasonable rates. Understandably very busy shop.

Of course, just my humble opinion......

Dave
post #266 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamer.maiah View Post
deleted
take a look !
and join us
Looks like two of your 13 messages have not been deleted (must be a mistake).
post #267 of 295 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
I agree that Service A and B are complete rip offs!

If anyone knows anything about cars, let alone a simple oil change, then these things can be routinely checked for problems even before the service indicator suggests to do it.

If you have the means to spend 3-400 for a simple oil change, and not routinely check your fluids, brakes, etc. then by all means run to the dealer and let them do it for you, but it is a complete rip off..

Last edited by Volked_S; 03-21-2012 at 11:21 AM.
post #268 of 295 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 1990 300E
Wow...I'm blown away reading this thread. Geez people, I'm 20, and I can do everything in a "B Service", save a few hundred bucks, and have a nice enjoyable hour or two spent with my car.
And the "qualifications" of MB techs don't make them drain my oil and put new oil in better than I can. Why would you pay a top-notch auto tech for normal maintenance? Save them for when you're swapping engines..
My car won't blow up because I changed my own oil and air filter.

But getting to know your car won't only save you thousands of dollars over the years, it's really, really enjoyable!

Austin
1990 300E - 111k +
post #269 of 295 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Storm View Post
Wow...I'm blown away reading this thread. Geez people, I'm 20, and I can do everything in a "B Service", save a few hundred bucks, and have a nice enjoyable hour or two spent with my car.
And the "qualifications" of MB techs don't make them drain my oil and put new oil in better than I can. Why would you pay a top-notch auto tech for normal maintenance? Save them for when you're swapping engines..
My car won't blow up because I changed my own oil and air filter.

But getting to know your car won't only save you thousands of dollars over the years, it's really, really enjoyable!
You display a wisdom unusual for your age!
Enjoy a lifetime of DIY on your MB's
They're easy to work on...

Phil

Prior MBs:
1971 250, 1983 380SEL
1986 190E2.3, 1987 300TD
1994, 2003, 2005 SL500s
2001 E320 4Matic
2011, 2012 E350 4Matics
2012 S550 4Matic
post #270 of 295 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
It is also a possibility that two techs worked on your car for an hour each which would also put you at the $200 number. The key is that every single item on the B service checklist was done and done properly, not necessarily how fast it was done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in