post #121 of 295 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 12:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2007 E350, Black on Black,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
A lot of you seem to place a lot of confidence in extended warranties, but from what I hear and read they aren't worth the paper they are written on unless you have a major malfunction like the engine blowing up or the transmission falling out--things that rarely happen w/ an MB. For the most part those w/ experience say "don't bother." If anyone has a warranty that has paid off for them, I'd be interested in hearing about it...
1. AC Compressor and dryer

2. Tie Rod Ends

3. Ball Joints

3. CD Changer

4. Radio Head Unit

5. All Spark Plug Wires

6. Voltage Regulator

7. Repair Rear Differential oil leak, involved replacing the oil level sensor and
sending unit.

8. Alternator Replaced

9. Outside Temperature Gauge

10. Motor Mounts Replaced twice

This doesn't include the parts I replaced out of pocket, vanity mirror covers, roof rail clips, the plastic cover at the base of the windshield because the rubber rotted off (this car is garaged), the $7.54 LIGHT BULB for the clock and the $129.00 to replace it...

So yes, the extended warranty has paid for itself maybe more than twice. Sure there is some knowledge going in that MB's are expensive to own, I knew that going into it, and we are prepared to pay the dealer's outrageous prices, but what I cannot forgive is how many failures the car has had considering they are so "technologically advanced" and "over-engineered" and built with only the "best" components.

Jayhawk, you do come across as an MB shill (no offense intended, just look at your posts, seems as though MBNA is paying you) no need to call anyone an A$$hole just because they disagree with you. I really miss our old 1993 190E, this car was NEVER in the shop, we went to a C230 and things crapped out left and right, we get a 2002 E320 and this car has been in and out of the shop like nobody's business. I tried to give MB another chance but they are not the car they used to be. This will probably be the last MB we own, one because I am very disappointed in the reliability, and two, that three pointed star on the hood is not worth the headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 295 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 12:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
You sound like an asshole!!
Let's take the mud slinging outside to OT.

But seriously, are you affliated with MB ? Most people I find in these forums who are very defensive about the cars are.
Others like myself have a more balanced attitude. Basically, MB is a POS when something breaks and the overpriced dealerships just compound the problem , but it remains a safe and mostly enjoyable car to drive.
post #123 of 295 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
Can anyone tell me whether normal service duties are typically performed by lower level techs at MB dealerships?
Hi MarcusF,

I don't know how typical this is, but one of the more-seasoned techs did my B service last summer. I should add that there are only 5 MB techs at my dealer. This sounds like it might be an "exception to the rule."

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #124 of 295 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 01:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
..........what no one has mentioned is that prior to 2005 the A and B service were free. Mb dropped the free service in 2005 while BMW started adverising their free service.

...........As far as price goes, the $300 for B service is about the going rate even at an Indy shop.

Ted

2003G55
post #125 of 295 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 07:29 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
B service rip off

I wish mine was that cheep. I have a 2000 ML320, They did the oil change, told me the power steering fluid & break fluid needed changed. They did there "Inspection" and it ran me $740. They didn't find that the front dual fans don't work & after it set's for about 1.5 hours it won't start.
post #126 of 295 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeneses View Post
1. AC Compressor and dryer

2. Tie Rod Ends

3. Ball Joints

3. CD Changer

4. Radio Head Unit

5. All Spark Plug Wires

6. Voltage Regulator

7. Repair Rear Differential oil leak, involved replacing the oil level sensor and
sending unit.

8. Alternator Replaced

9. Outside Temperature Gauge

10. Motor Mounts Replaced twice

This doesn't include the parts I replaced out of pocket, vanity mirror covers, roof rail clips, the plastic cover at the base of the windshield because the rubber rotted off (this car is garaged), the $7.54 LIGHT BULB for the clock and the $129.00 to replace it...

So yes, the extended warranty has paid for itself maybe more than twice. Sure there is some knowledge going in that MB's are expensive to own, I knew that going into it, and we are prepared to pay the dealer's outrageous prices, but what I cannot forgive is how many failures the car has had considering they are so "technologically advanced" and "over-engineered" and built with only the "best" components.

Jayhawk, you do come across as an MB shill (no offense intended, just look at your posts, seems as though MBNA is paying you) no need to call anyone an A$$hole just because they disagree with you. I really miss our old 1993 190E, this car was NEVER in the shop, we went to a C230 and things crapped out left and right, we get a 2002 E320 and this car has been in and out of the shop like nobody's business. I tried to give MB another chance but they are not the car they used to be. This will probably be the last MB we own, one because I am very disappointed in the reliability, and two, that three pointed star on the hood is not worth the headache.
Wow! I'm impressed that you had that much go wrong w/ your car. It sounds to me like you got a lemon! And I guess an extended warranty would be a good thing to have when one buys a lemon. I wonder how many MB's are lemons and how cost-effective an extended warranty really is in proportion to the % of lemons produced by Mercedes Benz. Calling me a "shill" is highly insulting--not to mention wrong--and I would hardly call it just a "disagreement" as you incorrectly characterize it. It's kind of like saying your car has "problems" when, in fact, it is a flaming lemon. Capice?

Don't believe everything you think
post #127 of 295 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted baldwin View Post
..........what no one has mentioned is that prior to 2005 the A and B service were free. Mb dropped the free service in 2005 while BMW started adverising their free service.

...........As far as price goes, the $300 for B service is about the going rate even at an Indy shop.

Ted
Good point! I never paid for a service until my car was five years old. That may be why I have no complaints about MB service...

post #128 of 295 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted baldwin View Post
..........what no one has mentioned is that prior to 2005 the A and B service were free. Mb dropped the free service in 2005 while BMW started adverising their free service............As far as price goes, the $300 for B service is about the going rate even at an Indy shop.
Ted
Good point, and I had forgotten that as well. Does anyone know if those free services were built into the selling price?

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #129 of 295 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
Good point, and I had forgotten that as well. Does anyone know if those free services were built into the selling price?
Not really sure, but I have to assume it was. Though the base price of the S-class has gone up steadily, year after year. It seemed more like a function of inflation and improved product. I cannot recall exact base prices over the years, but I do not recall any unusual changes--up or down--from pre-'05s to post '05s. All I know is that never having to pay for anything for five years was one hell of a deal, and made me a believer in MB cars and dealers.

post #130 of 295 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow! I'm impressed that you had that much go wrong w/ your car. It sounds to me like you got a lemon! And I guess an extended warranty would be a good thing to have when one buys a lemon. I wonder how many MB's are lemons and how cost-effective an extended warranty really is in proportion to the % of lemons produced by Mercedes Benz. Calling me a "shill" is highly insulting--not to mention wrong--and I would hardly call it just a "disagreement" as you incorrectly characterize it. It's kind of like saying your car has "problems" when, in fact, it is a flaming lemon. Capice?
The man said you >>>sound<<< like a shill which I agree you do and I said the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in