Mercedes Reliability ? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 03:14 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So is it only the Eclass that's so bullet proof, or does that level of bullet proofness apply to C280 4matics too.
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 04:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1981 240D
The older german cars, wether they be Mercedes or BMW are far superior than ANY of the american or jap cars ever built.
My car may be slower, but it will be on the road much much longer.

post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Member
Vehicle: 2002 E320 sports limitted edition
I was wondering if Lexus has had any known recalls or is that part of the Toyota recalls? I think they are two separate entities? Ok, not here to argue reliability because we all know MB has had their issues over the past few years. I currently drive a 2002 E320 sports and I am ready for a new car. I love MB and have been driving them since 1992. However, in the past 2 months had 2 cat converters replaced (under MB warranty), brake switch sensor, ECU sensor, drivers side mirror. I just had a fuel filter changed and now my car will sometimes not fully crank when starting. It starts then takes several seconds to fully engage. Performance is fine and the dealer said they couldn't duplicate the problem and there were no error codes indicating any sort of start problems. I was wondering if perhaps they put a bad fuel filter or something isn't connected correctly? Does this with both smart keys. New batteries in keys. Could smart key units be going bad? Anyway, I test drove both the new E350 and GS350 Lexus. Both are gorgeous cars but in all honestly I felt most comfortable in MB. Even though I have had some awful issues recently to where I had to tow car in, I am not 100% sold on Lexus though I know it is rated #1 Luxury car in reliability. I was wondering if anyone knows if MB is putting the reliability and quality back in the 2007 cars? I really HOPE so because I would love to stay with MB but being stranded and getting car towed isn't fun. I don't know the history and why the quality and reliability went down hill. I just really need to feel that MB is doing something to address the issues. Feed back on getting a new E350 would be appreciated to this newbie on the boards! Thanks!
post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lexus recalls? For the GS? This is a loaded question right?

The new for ’06 GS has two recalls that I know of and they’re both safety related; NHTSA recall #06V121000 is because the front seat belts don't work and #06V096000 is because the air bags are defective. That's a heck of a combo plate for the alleged #1 luxo manufacturer.
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Always Remembered RIP
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Back in 1978 Consumer Reports declared the Mercedes 123 300 Diesel the best car they had ever tested in the ENTIRE time they had tested cars.

Almost 30 years later time seems to have validated that opinion pretty well.

I saw a whole bunch of W123 diesels today exhibited by their proud owners at the Sacramento gtg and I'm telling you, these things are really everlasting.

Achieving star trek mileage on them is routine, they were hugely expensive when new and built to a quality was cost no object standard, and if taken care of they will really last to mind boggling mileage. One of them (Nate's 300D turbo 123) was in mint condition. Mint is a strong word but this car is MINT.

And new or old, they are SAFE! Mercedes has never lost its commitment to safety. These cars will really protect you in a big accident, and handle and break well enough to help you AVOID an immenent wreck too. I really like these cars.

The Subaru/Honda/Toyota cars may be very reliable, but for the BIG accident you would be safer in the Benz, every time. That is a compelling reason to own one
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 09:12 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: 300E modded, ML500
two words:

Jurgen Schremp

that guy tarnished a brand image, cost MB billions in sales, and is the reason for all these crazy threads doubting MB s reliability.

HOpefully, Dr. Z and his precessor will be very viligant to bring MB back to its roots.
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 09:28 PM
BenzWorld Member
Vehicle: 2002 E320 sports limitted edition
Thanks for the feed back. My service advisor at Mercedes told me I would have a better chance at coming out alive in a bad accident if I continue to drive a MB versus even the 2007 Lexus. Maybe I need to do further research because JD Powers, Edmunds are so bias with Lexus and how great the cars are and really give thumbs down to reliability on MB. I didn't know about the Lexus recalls for the GS 2006 models. I hope they have since corrected it on the 2007 models. I was just sick of people saying get rid of the MB and buy Lexus. The dealer out here is very good to me and I didn't even buy the car from them. I get really good service and always have a new C-Class loaner when needed. I do have to take it back to find out the problem with it sometimes taking a while to fully ignite when starting. I really hope that I do the right thing by sticking with MB. I love the new sports E350 and as much as I was impressed with the Lexus and how well made it was, drove nice, it wasn't the same feeling I had driving the new 2007 E class. I know MB must want their reliability and quality back because most of the cars in the lot at Lexus were either MB or BMW. Even though my MB frustrates me, I really do love it. I feel safe in it. Also, could someone clear this up for me? I heard that MB bought Chrysler, then I heard Chrysler bought MB. Which is the truth?
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 09:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MB bought Chrysler. They used to be Chrysler Corporation and Daimler-Benz, but they decided it would be beneficial for both companies to become one. They called it a "merger of equals," but in reality MB bought Chrysler.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 07:10 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1995 s500
Yes, MB has had their reliabilty issues, but I'm confident that the worst is behind them. Lexus won't go anywhere & they have upped the anty. But thru it all, Mercedes still considered one of the best cars in the world.
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 09:49 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Originally Posted by donatello
hi dontello here i am a taxi driver for 16 years driveing merks 11 years a pal of mine
had a guy in his t,,,, . and he was saying he works for germen car makers he finds lecy
parts for them. so he had to go to china he got what he wanted in chinda they said the part
was 99.7 perfeck, he went back to germans it works vvv well 99.7 ,they said it WORKS TO GOOD WE WANT ONLY 84 or 87 not 100 pr sent they want to bild in sum faults , so you have to go back meark and put on there computers more money for them, now you no. but they have gone overboard and fuck up there GOOD NAME
how meny Toytoa taxi do you see ?? not a one that should tell you something about durability . and I haven't seen one in Germany.
1982 240D
just sold my 1981 240D
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: