BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Bay Area AT service recommendation

Hey, folks.

After spending a good amount of time exploring, I finally decided on B&B*Transmissions in Daly City (they have other locations, too). Using MB fluid, they changed both fluid and filter, and since my AT doesn't have an drain*plug on the converter they flushed clean fluid through as well. (Typically they will drain the fluid and swap the filter and only do a flush if the fluid looks really, really bad; in my case I had told them I wanted the flush no matter what so I knew the total cost in advance.) They used MB fluid and certainly seemed to know what they were doing and knew what they were talking about. I feel as though I should have done it sooner (69,000 miles) because they said the fluid looked really dirty (and because of the results noted below). No metal shavings or anything unusual in the pan.

The results? It shifts so much smoother, I still have trouble believing it made that much of a difference (another confirmation I should have done it sooner). (I think it's much like your shocks, which wear so slowly you don't notice the degredation in ride until you swap them, then you're stunned.)

Mine is a 2001 E320, but I would recommend B&B to anyone with an MBZ automatic which is why this is in the general forum. The bill was $200, which was less than anyone else who offered both the filter change and a flush. If you have a pre-2000, you'll have a drai* plug in the converter, so it would be less since they don't have to waste excess fluid in the flush.

Since I believe in word-of-mouth recommendations for good places, here's the contact info for those of you in this area:

B&B*Transmissions
7073 Mission Street
Daly City, CA 94014
(650) 994-5484

They're about a 15 minute walk from the Colma Bart Station. Ask for Ken, he's very knowledgeable and will answer your questions.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
B-u-M-p..... Y not?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 03:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Greg,

First of all, thank for the info.

Second, how many miles did you have before the fluid change/

My CLK now little over 90K. I wonder whether I should do the same.

Best regards.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon
Hey Greg,

First of all, thank for the info.

Second, how many miles did you have before the fluid change/

My CLK now little over 90K. I wonder whether I should do the same.

Best regards.
Howdy, sir. Based on all the things I'd read on the forums and the various interval recommendations, I had planned on going no more than 75K as I continued to look for a place with which I felt comfortable. It had 69K on it, they reported it was VERY DIRTY on my work order. I am glad to have that old fluid out of there and to have it done.

I keep thinking about how MBZ says it's "sealed for life" and that what they really mean is "sealed for the life of the*transmission, not the car, and the life of the transmission is shortened by the fluid never being changed."

Not that I'm cynical or anything.

Greg
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
http://yellowpages.superpages.com/li...&paging=1&PI=0
4 locations they have are all over 1 hr from my place.
You said the transmission shifting improved? That is good to know. Lately I have seem some TV investigation on (I think) Jiffy Lube.
Out of 8 vehicles that were charged for tranny flushing only 3 had the job actually done. Regardless all the not knowing owners notice improvement.
If I go for the service I am going to watch them.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 04:16 PM

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: E55 ///AMG
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
how many quarts they end up replacing?...

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
http://yellowpages.superpages.com/li...&paging=1&PI=0
4 locations they have are all over 1 hr from my place.
You said the transmission shifting improved? That is good to know. Lately I have seem some TV investigation on (I think) Jiffy Lube.
Out of 8 vehicles that were charged for tranny flushing only 3 had the job actually done. Regardless all the not knowing owners notice improvement.
If I go for the service I am going to watch them.
Kaj, IMHO I wouldn't take a Yugo to Jiffy Lube, much less a *car* (only for part of the reason you reference re: the TV investigation). Nor would I ever go in anywhere just for a transmission*flush. That leaves the old, half-clogged filter in place and forces goo and junk places it shouldn't go. I've heard more horror stories following a "flush" than I care to recall. Bottom line: If your option is flush or nothing, then stay with nothing. (FWIW, that's a great test question for a transmission*service place: ask them if they can just flush it for you, if they say yes, then don't go there. From what I've seen the reputable places won't offer just a flush, that was one of my trigger questions for Ken, and the look on his face as he said no way was a good indication.) B&B can do it while you wait, if you call and schedule it for a time they're not busy, it's just 90 minutes or so. Also, I only indicated the Daly City location since that was the specific one I checked out and used. While they're a local chain, there can be variation between shops. I have no reason to believe the other locations would not also be fine, but since I was making a personal recommendation, I could only in good conscience recommend the one I specifically knew about.

Auf, I think he said they use between 9-12 quarts when they include a flush with the fluid/filter change. When I figured out that even were I to try and figure out a way to flush it, that much fluid and a filter*kit would have cost me about $160, so the extra $40 to have them do it seemed like a true bargain, particularly when I wasn't sure how to go about flushing anyway for a DIY. (I still love the fact that MBZ did away with the converter drain*plug.) On an unrelated topic, sorry again I missed the meet. I saw the pics: you're a lucky dog!! At least until your significant other sees them.

Greg

Last edited by Check Codes; 08-21-2006 at 06:00 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:14 PM

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: E55 ///AMG
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs210
On an unrelated topic, sorry again I missed the meet. I saw the pics: you're a lucky dog!! At least until your significant other sees them.

Greg
Maybe next time you can join us greg and about the pix LOL

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And one more question:

I've seen guys recommending transmission service AND rear differential liquid change. Ken quoted me $200 for transmission fluid/flush/filter and $125 for the rear differential.

What do you guys think?
Should both be done or tranny work is good enough for now?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I hadn't heard until recently about changing differential*oil. I don't think it's very high on most folks' lists of recommended maintenance items.

It also seems like I recently saw a post where someone had it done and they now are seeing a decrease in mileage, which sounds crazy to me (unless maybe they filled the differential* with STP... ).

At this point I'm not going to be concerned with it, when I go in for a couple of other things (brake*flush is on the horizon...) I'll ask the indie about it. JMHO.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in